Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angling exhibition 2011

Options
  • 12-02-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi folks,Did anyone go to the angling exhibition in swords today?I am going tomorrow with the kids to have a look.Any bargains to be had in the flyfishing/tying dept.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hows things. I was there today alright, was plenty to see, could have walked around for hours. There was a good bit to be got. I picked up my self a new ron thompson 7/8 fly rod and line for 35 euro which cant be sniffed at! Not sure about bargains in the tying department but there was certainly enough of it about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I got a ONE hour group lesson from the brilliant Glenda Powell on spey casting outside on the grass. Plus 2 exhibitions by the equally brilliant Charles Jardine.

More than worth the price of admission. Plus i got a cracking jacket advertised at 70 sterling for 47 euro, a real beauty.

i noticed that a few of the fishing lodges/hotels from the last 2 years weren't there, some places are really suffering, a few worth millions will probably have to shut down.

but the rivers remain and so long as the clubs vigilantly defend their rights then hopefully the future will be great for anglers.

great to see so many flytiers up on the balcony. some amazing salmon patterns on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check out www.hooked.ie I know a few of the lads in work head to this show as they are fly men.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Yeah went over for a look, picked up a good few wet flies and salmon flies from main stands. Casting instrucyions were v good.

Looked a little bit emptier than previous years.

why were fly tyers not selling flies on balcony. Would have liked to buy a few from them??

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

I managed to pick up a cracking vice for €25, I cant find the exact same one on the internet but my guess, a conservative estimate 100-120 in shops........sure ya couldnt beat it with a big stick:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Sick im broke since fri night in the pub;) some bargians there

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I am waiting for http://www.hooked.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I will defo be making an appearance at that one.
    Shooting and fishing in one show....excellent!!
    Damn, not alot of time to save. Do ya think I'd be in the bad books for selling the wife on valentines day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I am looking for some dry/nymphing kit for this season, so hopefully I will catch a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Yeah went over for a look, picked up a good few wet flies and salmon flies from main stands. Casting instrucyions were v good.

Looked a little bit emptier than previous years.

why were fly tyers not selling flies on balcony. Would have liked to buy a few from them??

they were, about 3 - 4 euro each, mostly salmon, bass and pike. very impressive stuff.

one head the ball customer with tatoos on display just started grabbing at newly tied flies without permission like he was handling apples in a shop, the tyer was too polite or wise to to educate the knuckle dragger on basic manners.
    later i saw the same drooler in the Hardy stand getting grabby again with his pals, i waited around but they weren't really thieving, just thick.

also saw an east european getting grabbed by 3 security for stealing, he pretended he had no English and the seller, who was northern english was not impressed! :D

fly fishing is really taking off in this country, there were more fly fishing stuff for sale than course, possibly more than sea fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

+1, I was at this last year had only good things to say about it, added bonus of shooting this year!
    (you have some rabbits you want me to take care of father):D

Plus this was before I got hooked on flyfishing (pardon the pun), so really looking forward to seeing some flies tied this year by the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

I was at the show and had a good time. Does anyone remember the name of the stall that only had three fly rods on sale. They were seven piece and cost about €70. I mean't to write down the web address but forgot. Any info would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

I was there on saturday . Got my first fly lesson and cast managed to get my first fly rod and reel , looking forward to starting :D
    Everyone was so nice and great bargins to be had .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

I brought the wife and kids on sunday.After an hour wandering around like a kid in a sweetshop,the wife gets a phone call to say that our cat that had been missing for the past 3 weeks had been found in an elderly couples back garden.Needless to say,straight back to the car with 3 delighted kids to collect the beast.All I really got to do was watch charles jardine doing his stuff and pick up a few bits.Animals can be so selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

was good enough, havent been at it since 2004! was a lot more fly fishing stands since the last time was there. could find decent feeders any where. searched the place to get a few bombs for a bit of dead baiting, got the last ones at one stand. loved the fox stand, spent loads at it! got a nice shimano hyperloop match rod. got loads of kamasan hooks, packs of 25 for 2 beans, stocked up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

gashead wrote: »
    I was at the show and had a good time. Does anyone remember the name of the stall that only had three fly rods on sale. They were seven piece and cost about €70. I mean't to write down the web address but forgot. Any info would be great.

A table with 3 rods sleeves on a rack? I believe that was the Ultimate Fishing lads using free space across from their own stand. I got one of the 4 piece rods, and when I asked for a reel, line etc he went over to Ultimate Fising stand and got all my wants and then used the till on the Ultimate stand when paying. Was told they have an ebay shop and have it wrote down somewhere, if I find it, will post it later.

Thought the show excellent, some fantastic gear and good prices but you had to shop around.. got a quick casting lesson from Steven Munn and met Charles Jardine, Hywel Morgan and the very entertaining Jackie (from galway/mayo). Bought some flies from Joe Mc Donald (with a luminous bead in the torax) and bought a few from Frankie Mcphilips. Excellent show I thought. Won't be going to Hooked, a few friends were there last year and thought it very poor in comparision.

Advertisement