Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watch your drinking!

• 18-04-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

This may not be the best place to put this but I'd like to know how many 30 -40 somethings still get told by their mothers to watch your drinking when you go out?
    Now I don't like spirits, I like wine, occasional beer but to be fair I did over do it last weekend (unusal for me) due to stress at home. Since then, my mother thinks I'm a raging alcoholic.
    She tells me to go meet my friends and stop worrying about her and when I do - its watch your drinking?
    I'm fcuking sick of it and pi$$es me off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You should move out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Seymoooooourrrrrrr!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mothers will be mothers, if I am staying at home because I am going out she will ring me if I am not home by 2am to make sure 'I'm still alive'.

Are you a parent yourself? It used to irritate me but since I have become a parent, I actually understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Spike the oul wans cornflakes with a splash of vodka, that will calm her down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think unless you're at a wedding or another special occasion, then being 30+ and getting absolutely off your tits tends to raise an eyebrow or two from people who may not be around you all the time.

My wife would call me a feckin eejit, but my mother would be worried that this is something I do regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Did you skip silhouette night OP? Good reason for any mother to get mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

If I have 2 beers my parents think I am a raging alcoholic. I don't live at home. Actually I get lectured about everything and I am over 40:D I just ignore it. It works for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I should consider it rather more upsetting if my mother didn't give a rattlin' scuttery what I drank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My mother is the opposite. Whenever I go to visit her, she insists I have a drink.

I just take the drink and hold it while I'm there so whenever she tries to get me another one, i can say that I already have a full can.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

I don't live at home. I come over to help her out as she's not well at the moment.
    She has a bottle of wine in the fridge.
    I'd drink 3 small glasses. She'd finish the last. Open one the next night. I'd use some of it in cooking, she'd have a glass. I'd have 1 with dinner and 1 in front of the telly and that's it.
    2 bottles over 3 days and I'm an alcoholic.
    I'm going to have words I think... I've seen her tuck in a few fairly fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

When I go home I'm usually told there is a bottle of wine there if I want it which I normally do.

I don't think I could live at home with my parents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

My mother was never too bad I just got the usual "mind yourself" as I somersaulted and back flipped out the door on a Friday for pints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

My Mother says it in humour nowadays.

Haven't lived at home in years, but she used to always worry too much. With my sense of humour I used to always just see the funny side and take the piss a little. Be it small reenactments of her 'talks' when we were having dinner, or saying things like, "I'm just out with my mate, Barry, and we're going doing drugs. I'll be home around 5".

So years of receiving that now has her also seeing the funny side of it has mellowed her out a bit, and now she just says the lighthearted obligatory comment. Told her I was going on a booze cruise in August, and she responded with, "Don't go near the water now, ya here."

You can only laugh.

petes wrote: »
    When I go home I'm usually told there is a bottle of wine there if I want it which I normally do.

I don't think I could live at home with my parents though.

I don't live with my parents. I come home to help them out.
    My brother would tuck into a bottle of whiskey easily and nothing's said.
    I hate spirits.
    I'm beginning to think she's got a fondness herself and feels better by giving out to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Going on a stag and my mam text me saying "don't get too wasted".

Ah bless!
    I think she will still be saying it when I'm 40 and it won't bother me because it's good to know she still cares :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

At Christmas Ma said that she hopes i'm not drinking to much before giving me a case of Guinness, then she asked when i was going to the pub the next day. anytime anyone called to the house she'd tell me to get the drinks. When she was leaving me back in LK she told me again to be careful drinking and she hopes i'm not drinking all the time before asking if i was meeting my mates in the pub.

I drink more at home home that I do at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah I live away from home and generally anytime I'm home its the weekend and I'm invariably heading out to meet friends, or if I'm not I'll usually buy in a few beers (maybe 5 or 6 bottles, nothing mental). So my mother sees me drinking every night. She thinks I'm a fully blown alco. No notice of the fact that I never really drink Sunday - Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ande1975 wrote: »
    to be fair I did over do it last weekend (unusal for me) due to stress at home. Since then, my mother thinks I'm a raging alcoholic.

She's probably just still annoyed that she had to carry you up to your bed at 4am when you were asleep in the hedge outside with a traffic cone on your head. Can't have the neighbours seeing hat.

danniemcq wrote: »
    At Christmas Ma said that she hopes i'm not drinking to much before giving me a case of Guinness, then she asked when i was going to the pub the next day. anytime anyone called to the house she'd tell me to get the drinks. When she was leaving me back in LK she told me again to be careful drinking and she hopes i'm not drinking all the time before asking if i was meeting my mates in the pub.

This is it!!! Yes I drink more at home than when I'm actually at my home!
    I told her a while back to not put a bottle in the fridge for me. She said she wouldn't. Low and behold there was a bottle. She was like a drug pusher. Would you have a glass? No... go on... one won't hurt....no.
    Oh well pour me a glass so will ya.

She's obsessed.
    If it was something like, don't get too wasted but have fun I'd be grand yeah as that's normal for me, but the 'watch your drinking' came out with sinister undertones. Fcuk it I can't believe I started a thread on something as ridiculous as this...
    Sorry lads... but glad I am not alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

What about when you're out out?

• Advertisement

bnagrrl wrote: »
    What about when you're out out?

Dunno can never remember

My mother is only concerned about me getting home safe. "Is there anyone who lives near you?" "Will you have to go home on your own?" "You won't be getting that nitelink will you?".

She also fed me dinner yesterday because I was going out :D

My mother is only concerned about me getting home safe. "Is there anyone who lives near you?" "Will you have to go home on your own?" "You won't be getting that nitelink will you?".

nope not gonna say it nope nope nope

That's nice! I'd accept that.

This morning she made me feel like I needed to be checked into Betty Ford.
    I've calmed my jets now and will tell her to lay off when I see her later as I pull a nagan of vodka out of my bag.

nope not gonna say it nope nope nope

My poor mammy :eek:

My poor mammy :eek:

Just wait till she gets my package...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Paint your bedroom black and vent in a diary about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If I have 2 beers my parents think I am a raging alcoholic.

Stop drinking your beers by the bucket might help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

When I first started (legally) drinking my mum told me not to have more than 2 drinks on a night out ;)

I recently turned 30 and one thing I really enjoy is getting tipsy with my friends and giving it socks on the dancefloor :cool:

Unfortunately I don't get to go out much anymore as most of my friends are in that getting married/having babies phase and I still think I'm 18 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP,is your name Norman? Do you work in a motel?

Advertisement