Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newsagent irritants

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭

So you run in, as you do, to a newsagent to pick up a few overpriced things and run out. I find newsagents irritable places mostly because of others around me.

I have 2 main complaints

1. I judge people on the newspaper they are buying.

I do. If I happen to be in a newsagent and I see someone heading to the counter with a copy of the Irish Times or Sunday Independent I think - suave, sophisticated, cultured. I see someone with the Sun or the Mirror for example I think - scum.

I don't mean to! It's just an automated response to a visual stimulus.

2. Women with their hand bags. Have the change ready before you reach the counter please. All that routing around does actually annoy the queue behind you.

Is it really all that hard or degrading to you as a woman to have the change in your pocket or paws ready to go?

I could include random gang of feral youth but i'd leave that to someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I judge people if they are buying a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

2. Women with their hand bags. Have the change ready before you reach the counter please. All that routing around does actually annoy the queue behind you.

Is it really all that hard or degrading to you as a woman to have the change in your pocket or paws ready to go?

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realise I'd be expected to pay! Now, where's me purse?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

This isn't a Blog site ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

People still buy newspapers? I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You sound like a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I dislike people who make stupid generalisations, for example judging someone on the newspaper they buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Is it not on what top shelf mag you buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

People paying for small purchases with a debit or credit card with the inherent delay. I did this once in my life at the end of a night out where the ATM in the shop was out of service. But I'm seeing people doing it more and more often these days to buy the paper or a packet of cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

If I happen to be in a newsagent and I see someone heading to the counter with a copy of the Irish Times or Sunday Independent I think - suave, sophisticated, cultured.

You judge someone buying the Sindo to be necessarily cultured?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Bunch of Irish Times **** *rolls up Indo in aggressive manner*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bunch of Irish Times **** *rolls up Indo in aggressive manner*

Irish Times readers do tend to let you know they have a copy of the paper in their hands by making it as visible as possible. Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FunLover18 wrote: »
    "I'm so sorry, I didn't realise I'd be expected to pay! Now, where's me purse?"

This. Seriously what is with that? Is there a woman out there that can explain the thought process behind the whole purse, last minute, counter thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Irish Times readers do tend to let you know they have a copy of the paper in their hands by making it as visible as possible. Don't know why.
    I've noticed that. Not as bad as Sunday Business Post readers though, those guys should be condemned to an eternity of reading the Sunday World (with all the women taken out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sand wrote: »
    People paying for small purchases with a debit or credit card with the inherent delay. I did this once in my life at the end of a night out where the ATM in the shop was out of service. But I'm seeing people doing it more and more often these days to buy the paper or a packet of cigarettes.

I'm guilty of this sometimes.

However, the simple explanation for it, and the only one I have is that I more than likely have no cash in my wallet/pockets at that particular moment, and there isn't an ATM close enough to me that would take less of my time to get to, insert card, enter pin, select cash amount, wait on machine whirring and spitting out my cash, than simply walking up to the til, handing my visa debit punching in pin and waiting on approval, take my goods.

In hindsight, I'm a terrible Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

That's more down to the store than the customer. I'm in America at the moment and you can pay for small purchases just by swiping or taping your card. It's incredibly fast and easy. Some places in Dublin have it now. Faster than counting out change or queuing at an ATM
    I hate carrying around change and try to pay for as much as possible on card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Stop hanging around in newsagents then.

I like 'The Daily Sport' btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

EyeSight wrote: »
    That's more down to the store than the customer. I'm in America at the moment and you can pay for small purchases just by swiping or taping your card. It's incredibly fast and easy. Some places in Dublin have it now. Faster than counting out change or queuing at an ATM

Oh yeah, when they introduce the "swipe and you're done" deal in Ireland I'll be converting over to the new cash-free society. But as it stands right now, it's slow and awkward for buying a breakfast roll, so paper and coins win for convenience. Even early converters are a little early on this one for now.

@Banjo
    However, the simple explanation for it, and the only one I have is that I more than likely have no cash in my wallet/pockets at that particular moment, and there isn't an ATM close enough to me that would take less of my time to get to, insert card, enter pin, select cash amount, wait on machine whirring and spitting out my cash, than simply walking up to the til, handing my visa debit punching in pin and waiting on approval, take my goods.

In hindsight, I'm a terrible Bastard.

But if you go to the ATM once, you could save yourself having to hand over the visa and punching in a pin and waiting on approval many times.

But yeah, you are a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You judge someone buying the Sindo to be necessarily cultured?! :D

Or even literate, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

FFS, you don't take cards! What kind of stone age newsagent is this?

The kind that doesn't want the inevitable queue that builds up behind you nor want to lose another 1.5% in transaction charges on an item that already has a pathetic margin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Calibos wrote: »
    FFS, you don't take cards! What kind of stone age newsagent is this?

The kind that doesn't want the inevitable queue that builds up behind you nor want to lose another 1.5% in transaction charges on an item that already has a pathetic margin. :D

Tough. Me and the Queen have one thing in common, we both have a bit of Greek in us occasionally, no, sorry, cash, some crap about cash, jasis, I forget me point now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I remember being 15 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Where are people shopping that take debit for sales below 10 euro? I tried going cashless for a week but still needed change because everywhere except the self service at tesco required a minimum spend. Tesco was the one place that I would meet a minimum spend!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A while back I was in Aldi in a queue. You know how it goes and there was a woman in front of me.

She was next and the cashier scanning through her groceries.

Came to total lets say €56.09. She got her handbag. Opened the handbag. Reaches for the purse, eventually found it and the started getting the money. Coins fell on the floor and whatnot. Eventually she ran out and had say €55 in total. Then she went "Actually, do you take laser?".

This wasn't the first time I saw that happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Maybe these people have less than €20 left in their bank & use the debit card to pay for items

delw wrote: »
    Maybe these people have less than €20 left in their bank & use the debit card to pay for items

Some ATMs allow you to withdraw €10's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Mr. G wrote: »
    I haven't come across one yet & i certainly wouldn't go searching for one if i can just use a card

delw wrote: »
    I haven't come across one yet & i certainly wouldn't go searching for one if i can just use a card

Yeah I've come across them rarely. The majority of them will have €50's and then €20's. Taking out €50 isn't always ideal though.

A lot of retailers now have a minimum amount you have to spend to use a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah I've come across them rarely. The majority of them will have €50's and then €20's. Taking out €50 isn't always ideal though.

A lot of retailers now have a minimum amount you have to spend to use a card.

That Illegal to have a minimum spend amount on a debit card report shops you see doing that. And 20c per transaction per ATM to see if you can get a €10 note yeah good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

EyeSight wrote: »

Is there a thirty cent charge or something and that's why nobody uses it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm not doubting you but I've not come across this for years, probably over 3

Advertisement