Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a good company to set up a cheap website

Options
  • 21-09-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Not sure how much it'll cost? Looking at setting up a very basic website where I'll need to change and update daily/weekly based on products I'm selling ?
    I have a bit of web design experience but not enough to get it off the ground. With a bit of training I could manage myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Define what you consider "cheap"......bearing in mind that you probably want a professional site (since you're selling) and will want it to be easy to both use and maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

I haven't a clue Liam. I honestly don't know what the going rates are for website set ups. Maybe cheap is the wrong term. How about "simple and easy to change the products I sell on a daily /weekly basis.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I haven't a clue Liam. I honestly don't know what the going rates are for website set ups. Maybe cheap is the wrong term. How about "simple and easy to change the products I sell on a daily /weekly basis.:rolleyes:

If you're selling, it depends on the complexity of the pricing and options.

e.g. a camera is a fixed price and can be easily added to a cart
    a shirt, however, has multiple colours and sizes, and is therefore more complex

Aside from that, there's the question of what you want the site to look like, and what checkout option you need.

PM me if you have an outline spec and want me to have a look and maybe I can give you a ballpark figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Plentyofice, there are lots of ready to go shopping cart systems (Like Magento, Zen cart, PrestaShop). It could be a good idea to setup several on subdomains and play around to see what suits you best and then just find a nice looking theme/template for it. Once you are off the ground and doing some business then it could be time for custom design but before that it usually is not worth the money.
    You could easily fit under €200 with domain-hosting and theme. Google around the names of the scripts. If you need help locating demos give me a shout ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

For what it is worth its essential that you remember to put aside budget for digital marketing or other marketing. Also, in regards to conversions the website is going to have to communicate trust. Without trust you will not get people to buy - this unfortunately is where a pro website design comes in. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Hi, there are solutions for start-up businesses that haven't got big budgets. I wouldn't call them "cheap", "low cost" seems more appropriate. IMHO low cost can give you the same benefits as a professional website, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Abcom did mine and I thought was very good value for a simple site.

Advertisement