Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

energy vampires who you work with.

• 17-04-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

There was a fella on telly one night talking about energy vampires those people who sap every last bit of energy out of you.
    Telling you all their problems like they are they are the only ones who have problems.

Theres a woman who.i work with.

She had 13 people in her family die within 2 yrs .
    Parents , aunts uncles. Nephew s .. the list is endless.
    I understand that its terrible for her that this has happened to her.
    BUT jasus tis hard to listen to.

Each time in work she never says " well how are you" or anyrhing.

Its oh jasus wait till i tell you what happened to my aunt at the weekend.

My neice fell and broke her leg.
    My brother fell and damaged his spleen......
    Every problem out there d relatives have got !!!

Christ tis exhausting

Ive had to start avoiding her cause its pure torture to listen to.

Anyone else like this !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Well what problems do you have OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

If you tie a Duracell battery to a cross, wear it round your neck and rub garlic into your hair, it repels them. Repels everyone else too, but sheet, some things are worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thirteen's unlucky for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My housemate is one of those, talks non stop in mean, rather than has everyone die on her. It's like she doesn't understand the mechanics or etiquette of conversation. She'll just burst into talking about herself and everything that's happening with her the second she sees me (or just hears me sometimes). Of the talking just continues, regardless of my level of interest, or talking back, or that I'm after saying yeah I'm going to bed now.

Yeah it's draining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What a selfish bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

monflat wrote: »
    There was a fella on telly one night talking about energy vampires those people who sap every last bit of energy out of you.
    Telling you all their problems like they are they are the only ones who have problems.

Theres a woman who.i work with.

Each time in work she never says " well how are you" or anyrhing.

Its oh jasus wait till i tell you what happened to my aunt at the weekend.

My neice fell and broke her leg.
    My brother fell and damaged his spleen......
    Every problem out there d relatives have got !!!

Christ tis exhausting

Ive had to start avoiding her cause its pure torture to listen to.

Anyone else like this !!!

The 13 probably died to get away from her.
    Either that or she sucked the life out of them. In that case, watch out, you're next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

There's a few serial complainers where I work. They know I have little sympathy for their petty bull crap.

You give these guys any time at all and they'll drag you down and suck out all your joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

kneemos wrote: »
    Thirteen's unlucky for some.

Well for sure it is for her

Well what problems do you have OP?

Not as many as her and anyways i dont talk about myself at all . Sure i just give out on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

There's one where I work. He just goes on and on and on... repeats himself constantly and doesn't listen at all if you try to actually take part in the conversation.
    It's always just the two of us too in a small work area. I do be totally drained at the end of the day :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP you sound like a sh1t

Ankhyu wrote: »
    There's one where I work. He just goes on and on and on... repeats himself constantly and doesn't listen at all if you try to actually take part in the conversation.
    It's always just the two of us too in a small work area. I do be totally drained at the end of the day :(

Its amazing how they sap your energy.!

Its gas thou cause this one you can hear her telling someone her problems then youve already heard it second hand .
    Next thing at break she launches into the story again.
    Later she can be heard telling another person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It must be a form of Munchausen Syndrome.

Heroditas wrote: »
    It must be a form of Munchausen Syndrome.

Ah there must be something there alright !!!

I remember i was about three yrs listening to her and the deaths wakes funerals.. burials .

Cancers brain haemmorages , appendicitis

Dyslexia dyspraxia. Epilepsy parkinsons you name it.

My friends sister was killed off her bike a tradgic accident killed instantly.
    A stunning girl of 28 .
    I told her story.

The reply was " wait till you have 13 belong to you who have died then youl know what death is "

I felt like smacking her one there n then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Vampires aren't real OP, oxygen thieves are however commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Ah there must be something there alright !!!

I remember i was about three yrs listening to her and the deaths wakes funerals.. burials .

Cancers brain haemmorages , appendicitis

Dyslexia dyspraxia. Epilepsy parkinsons you name it.

You can die from dyslexia and dyspraxia now?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Vampires aren't real OP, oxygen thieves are however commonplace.

Im not getting that close to her. R her to me. She might say she caught something and then tell everyone and id have to listen to that too.............

Gongoozler wrote: »
    You can die from dyslexia and dyspraxia now?

They had secondary diagnosis too!!! Life was never straight forward.

And then the dog died and what a story that one was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Whiners and whiners who simply cannot get the f*ck on with what they are being paid to get the f*ck on with. If they kept out of my way productivity would triple across the workplace. JESUS!!

Whiners and whiners who simply cannot get the f*ck on with what they are being paid to get the f*ck on with. If they kept out of my way productivity would triple across the workplace. JESUS!!

Ye i know but the gas thing is she thinks shes the best worker there.
    Theres 9 staff in our unit so you are guarnteed to hear the story echoing out 9 times during the day

But then the cleaners are extra so theres 2 of them thats 11 times. .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people just don't know how to suffer quietly like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

She may know death, but I bet she doesn't know what a good kick to the face is...

Facekicker basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Adamantium wrote: »
    She may know death, but I bet she doesn't know what a good kick to the face is...

Chooo chooo!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's worse are people who are complete timesinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

My mother is one of those. I've been living abroad for nearly a year now and haven't had one phone call from her, doesn't reply to texts/emails, yet, whenever she has something wrong or needs advice she is on to skype and she never thinks to ask 'how are you?', 'hows your work going?', anything, she just comes on and rants at me every so often and disappears again ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 19 swanronson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The vampire analogy is fitting because now you're spreading the energy drain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I sit beside one of those vampires....I can name every one of her family friends neighbours ect from listening to the constant droning in my ear...I know she couldnt name one of my children because its a one way street of conversation and she NEVER runs out of steam....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

We have a couple in my workplace, 1 in particular comes down on morning break with us and without fail every conversation leads to her family and kids, just drones on and on.
    I tend to avoid the breaks because it puts me in a bad mood for the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

the person that deals in melancholic morosity is as bad if not worse than the energy vampire.. this type of person revels in tales of disastrous misfortune and woe.. the oil lorry swerving to avoid the orphan in the wheelchair, crashes into a primary school and explodes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

JJayoo wrote: »
    OP you sound like a sh1t

What does a sh1t sound like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

A close relative of the energy vampire is the chronic hypochondriac.

My neighbour always has something ailing her. Her kids are always sick. She has a constant pained, miserable look on her face. If it's not her back, it's a virus or bug, if it's not a pain in her head, it's a pain in her leg. Her son goes to same creche as mine and he's out more than he's in. Christ she's a miserable specimen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

"Ah come here to me - you must have SOME good news for us? No? Ah Jaysus that's awful, come back to us when you do sure."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Ssslip, ssslip, ssslip, plop?

We have one of those at work, who is so bad I'm actually looking for a new job just to get away from her. Even when something really great happens for her, it's "I'm just so devastated that <insert most recently dead relative regardless of whether or not she was ever even close to them or most recent ex-friend or ex-boyfriend> wont be here to see this".

• Advertisement

We have one of those at work, who is so bad I'm actually looking for a new job just to get away from her. Even when something really great happens for her, it's "I'm just so devastated that <insert most recently dead relative regardless of whether or not she was ever even close to them or most recent ex-friend or ex-boyfriend> wont be here to see this".

We must work together
    do we !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Wow! Having read that I must say my colleagues are fantastic!

We just crack jokes and talk about mad stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you tried reminding them of Karma ? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

I do know a few people like this, but try not to be too harsh on them because some people really do have sh1tter lives than others. I went through a really bad time for a couple of years in my mid twenties - constant health problems (loads of different things) which affected every aspect of my life, had a close relative and close friend die within a week of each other, just one thing after another and it really broke me down. Much better now thankfully, but I try to remember how awful that time was and be more sympathetic to people going through rubbish times. What I can't stand are people who have amazing lives and complain constantly anyway...people who just don't know how good they have it. Such as my colleague who has been complaining for the last week that her dad won't pay for first-class flights to Dubai, so she has to slum it in economy class....THAT is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'm a bit of a grumpy old cnut at work and people are generally wary of me. This is a good strategy as I never have to listen to small-talk. If they started wearing my ear I'd ask them to stfu. and get on with the task at hand. As for sitting and listening to their guff, yeah right. I'm here for the money, give it to me and fcuk off tends to be my approach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I worked with a woman like that. I think she only existed to spread her love of misery.
    I eventually stopped asking her how her weekends/days off were because it would only result in her complaining of the latest iillness she had and how she was bedridden all weekend. I had only ever witnessed a slight cough out of her! Funny how she was never sick Mon-Fri!
    It was the way she described her "illnesses" it would rival a Shakespearean play with the dramatics she put into her performances!
    It would suck the life out of you listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Don't internalize it.

Let it go.

Have a set amount of time you spend with her listening to her.

Give her 15 mins of genuine compassion and if you can't help then that is it for the day. Move on.

Give yourself some you time everyday.

Appreciate her position but remember it is not yours.

Just comment to the person (Kindly after giving a min or so when the time is up) that you now have to concentrate on other things.

'I just have to focus on this now ' etc.

'I just need some quiet time'.

Play music.

Don't become bitter or hard. Balance it. Prioritize attention ....if someone is in tears about something lend them an ear obviously. Also if you think HR can help a person in crisis mention it.

But you do have to put your needs up there too without being awful about it. Don't feel bad about that. Do not demean your own needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

http://youtu.be/X_2ccFZyYn8?t=20s

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Wickers26

I used to live with a girl like that, always sick or complaining about someone in college or a lecturer. She had no friends because nobody could stomach her. I used to dread getting up in the morning and being cornered in the kitchen while she ****ed on about about her various illnesses and general misery. Even when I yawned in her face and left the room when she was mid speech she still didn't get the hint. Insufferable .i thought I'd never escape her. It was a painful experience, I especially pitied her boyfriend, god love him, imagine being bombarded with that ****e 24/7.

Olive8585 wrote: »
    I do know a few people like this, but try not to be too harsh on them because some people really do have sh1tter lives than others. I went through a really bad time for a couple of years in my mid twenties - constant health problems (loads of different things) which affected every aspect of my life, had a close relative and close friend die within a week of each other, just one thing after another and it really broke me down. Much better now thankfully, but I try to remember how awful that time was and be more sympathetic to people going through rubbish times. What I can't stand are people who have amazing lives and complain constantly anyway...people who just don't know how good they have it. Such as my colleague who has been complaining for the last week that her dad won't pay for first-class flights to Dubai, so she has to slum it in economy class....THAT is annoying.

Ye iget u but im talkin about this woman who knows nothing about me . We have worked together for 5 yrs.
    Ive always been the listening ear , but even if i change the topic it ALWAYS goes back to her.
    I have listenened to her THROUGH all her deaths bereavements and illnesses and it has worn on me cause NOT once has she asked well how are you.
    I started to distance myself from her for my own sanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Not as many as her and anyways i dont talk about myself at all . Sure i just give out on boards.ie

You sound like an energy vampire yourself...affecting on a mass scale (through boards.ie) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Work with a few people who annoy the living sh1t out of me, one woman who'd rival Father Stone for the most boring voice of all time, monosyllabic droning with no changes no matter what mood she's in. And the total opposite woman where everything MUST BE SAID EXTREMELY LOUDLY AND SCREECHY AT ALL TIMES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There's a woman I've known for a few years, she ignores me (and I ignore her) but every so often she'll approach me at the bus stop or in town, and just ranting about her **** life, like how she didn't get promoted in mcdonalds, and slipping in constant reminders about how great her boyfriend is. **** off.

omri wrote: »
    You sound like an energy vampire yourself...affecting on a mass scale (through boards.ie) :)

Yea Yea yea thats it . .. im lucky i posted in after hours so .

Advertisement