Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What laptop would be a good option for me?

Options
  • 18-04-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a laptop, I'm getting back into education, and I'll need a laptop to take notes and research. I have a desktop at home, and my intention is to use the desktop for leisure and the laptop for work. I plan on being in the education system for 6 years minimum, and I'd like the laptop to last me that time. I have a fairly big budget, I'd like to keep it under 1.5k, but I'm not necessarily looking for a laptop for 1.5k, just for one that costs either that or less. Some of my main concerns are speed and battery life,a large battery life and an SSD are both mandatory. I'm expecting to use this laptop for at least 5 or 6 hours taking notes without the opportunity to charge. Longevity is another factor. I've seen some laptops which work great when first bought, but after some use usually develop problems. I plan on using the laptop to take notes, research and likely make some presentations. I've considered a Macbook Air. It's fairly powerful, falls within my budget range, it's portable, has an SSD, supposedly has great battery life, and, while it's a con for some people, due to the fact it's lacking in games, I won't be tempted to video game while I should be studying. What do you people think? Would this be a wise option? Or would I be able to get a much superior Windows laptop for cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://blog.laptopmag.com/all-day-strong-longest-lasting-notebooks?slide=2

THE advantage of apple air , is its very light , good battery life,

. t440s This comfy laptop can be configured with a 3-cell battery that lasts an above-average 7 hours, but you should spend the extra $5 for the optional 6-cell battery that more than doubles that life to 14 hours and 36 minutes. The T440s also has an additional 3-cell internal battery, so you can swap out battery packs without your device going dead.
    thinkpad t440s

Battery Life
    If you're looking for a laptop-tablet hybrid that can last, you'll have to dial down the brightness. The Lenovo Yoga 2 13 lasted 5 hours and 31 minutes on the Laptop Mag Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over Wi-Fi at 100 nits of brightness).

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-2-13.aspx

look at the ones with a ssd drive, 5 hours plus battery life.

Advertisement