Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Have You 'Learned' A Song?

Options
  • 29-12-2013 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I'd like to be a good guitarist and all that jazz, but I'm not sure when to move on to the next song and when to keep practicing. For example, I keep getting between 88% and 90% on Expert level 'I Love Rock And Roll'. Two part in the solo I just can't hit and then I occasionally make mistakes elsewhere.

Should I keep at it, or will progressing to other songs and coming back to these make more sense in the long run?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I assume you mean in the game Rock Band? I'd just move on to the next song, push for something that you find hard to finish and practise that til you can do it to completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Yeah - but I mean, if you have a friend that plays guitar - he might say, 'Oh yeah, I can play Hotel California' - when someone says they 'know' a song, does that mean they can play it 100% correctly? Or like 80%? Is there a standard for it somewhere?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Haha, I'd say anything between 4-5* can count as knowing a song. I would usually include my stars in a sentence about a particular song. "Oh yeah, I can 5 gold star 'I Love Rock and Roll', and I can 3 star 'Through the Fire and the Flames'".

Play a song until it stops being fun I guess. Knowing a song means different things for different people. Knowing a song for me means I know the little flurries of notes that might be challenging and when they'll come up. I'd generally 95-100% a song I would claim to "know".

Advertisement