Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People offering their services for hire.

Options
  • 09-03-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the deal with this?
    The charter says

"NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTS of any kind, they'll be deleted post haste and a banning wont be far behind either".

Does this include musicians advertising their availability for sessions?
    There is a precedent as offering lessons is verboten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does this include musicians advertising their availability for sessions?
    My take on it is that someone advertising their availability for sessions is similar someone advertising their availability for a wedding band or pub covers. There is an expectation that money is to be made but it's not the band that will be paying, rather the venue or the couple getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Thanks.
    Is it ok for recording engineers/studio people to advertise their services then?

Thanks.
    Is it ok for recording engineers/studio people to advertise their services then?

I'm afraid not. That came from up above. However, the middle ground we were able to achieve is the resources thread.

I'm afraid not. That came from up above. However, the middle ground we were able to achieve is the resources thread.

I don't see the difference between engineers and session musicians then. You're paying both of them to do a job. The cash comes from the primary musician in both cases.

I'm not trying to cause aggro here.

I can see a difference between people playing in a covers band and people offering their services for a recording. One is to an audience and paid for by the audience or promoter. The other paid for by the songwriter.

People trying to start a band and seeing nothing but "drummer/bassist available for sessions" means no cash = no band and no band anyway because session players = no rehearsal.

As Pappa Dolla wrote, opportunistic advertising e.g. where someone starts a thread looking for a recording studio or something and we get a representative of the recording studio advertising their site on that thread is a definite no-no.
    I don't see the difference between engineers and session musicians then. You're paying both of them to do a job. The cash comes from the primary musician in both cases.
    Well, not as far as I see it. Now maybe I'm mis-understanding how session musicians operate but as I wrote in my previous post, it's not the band that will be paying. Say for example you have a wedding band and I join. I'm not expecting you to pay me out of your pocket but I am expecting a cut of any wedding gigs that the band gets. For session musicians is it not generally the record label that pays?

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Now maybe I'm mis-understanding how session musicians operate but as I wrote in my previous post, it's not the band that will be paying. Say for example you have a wedding band and I join. I'm not expecting you to pay me out of your pocket but I am expecting a cut of any wedding gigs that the band gets. For session musicians is it not generally the record label that pays?

That's not what I'm saying. I take session musician to mean someone who will come into the studio and play/drum on your song for a fee. Nothing to do with weddings or live gigs.

Although I misread the ad that got me thinking about this, there are people who only offer that service.

That's not what I'm saying. I take session musician to mean someone who will come into the studio and play/drum on your song for a fee. Nothing to do with weddings or live gigs.
    But who pays that fee? If it's the band that's paying the session musician directly then I agree with you, it's basically the same thing as a studio soliciting on this forum for business and I'd be against allowing it.

Having said that I don't know how many ads of that type there has been. I suppose for you and anyone else reading this thread, if you see a session musician thread please report it and then we can investigate it.

Advertisement