Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive in Cork?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am interested in learning to drive in Wilton/Ballincollig/Mallow (still haven't made up my mind where yet!)

Would love to know if anyone has suggestions regarding insurance and instructors. I am a student who doesn't have loads of money to spend but at the same time, I will pay to get the best service I can get!

I was all for the Aviva insurance until I heard complaints about their instructors so I am now rethinking and would love to hear others advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Avoid Aviva instructors in my experience. I had a great instructor from Ballincollig who taught me around all the areas youve mentioned. Wilton Tougher, Bishopstown and some Ballincolig but the test is around Wilton, Tougher and Bishopstown so they were key. Ill PM you on his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I used an Aviva (then Hibernian) instructor about 4/5 years ago under a 6 months free scheme with 10 lessons and I thought he was very good. Nothing but praise although that was a while back and only one person, so no guarantee he's there anymore.

The man taught me to drive from scratch and I'd be nervous enough on the roads and I was made feel very confortable. So there's just a different opinion for what it's worth :)

Edit: Oh and I was based around Wilton, bishopstown and Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jenncork

Great thank you very much!

Not sure if Aviva are the way to go. In terms of money, definitely yes. But are they really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It all depends on what kind of instructor you get, just becasue people work for the same company doesn't mean they'll have the same attitude.

I used Aviva learning to drive (about 3 years ago now) and the instructor I had was brilliant. PM me if you want his name.

Assuming you make good progress, 40-50% of your lessons will be driving around the test routes (Wilton/Bishopstown/Togher)
    Mush easier to pass the test if you know how to drive the area well.

Advertisement