Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otters In Kildare

Options
  • 15-01-2015 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

Even though I have been a nature enthusiast my life (I am now 38), I have never seen an otter in the wild. I have recently moved to Naas and wanted to know if anyone could advise me where the best place to view otters is in the Naas or wider Kildare area?

I have heard they live along the canal in Naas, but despite numerous hours walking here, I have never seen one..

Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Dawn is the best time to see otters. I've picked them up on my trail cameras in South Kildare but never during daylight hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It can be very hard to actually see otters, even in a stretch of river where you know they are. I agree with Half-cocked though, you want to be out walking the river at dawn to maximise your chances.

It won't be easy, but it'll be worth it the day you do see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I have mainly seen otters in the distance in water and they can be hard to pick out. I have seen them close up twice; once from a bus near Heuston Station in the river and once in the Lee in Cork, from a quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I usually see otters when I least expect it. I can spend days looking for them with no success and then take a river walk at midday when one sits a few yards from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Would you believe there was an otter survey done for Naas last year? It hasn't been published yet, but contact the Heritage Officer at the council.

The canal is certainly your best bet, along with Oldtown itself. There were certainly spraints found.

I remember being told by somebody that they saw an otter (within the last three years) at the stream at Lakelands (upstream from the lakes but still within the town on the Ballymore Road).

I was wondering also if the large pond/small lake beside Kerry Food might be worth looking at? I'm guessing the ground between the canal and lake could be traversed by an otter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Keep your eyes open for droppings , and possibly slides on the river bank - failing that get the train down to cork and walk around town - lots of them - there was a family of them at the back of the beamish brewery - :-)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm from Kildare originally and have never seen one in the county. Ironically since I acquired my small holding in North Mayo I see a large territorial Male Otter on the shore below the farm every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have seen the regularly at the Leinster aquaduct looking up river. Mostly just after dawn and during the fishing season. I have also been told of two on the canal at Kill, a friend has got plenty of video and photos of them. Damned if can get a shot. However i did see them in this spot last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

It's best to search bridges for droppings and slides into the river, otters are territorial and they regularly mark their patch/boundary on the same rocks and bridges.

There was a nationwide Otter survey carried out a few years ago:

http://www.npws.ie/publications/irishwildlifemanuals/IWM%2076%20National%20Otter%20Survey.pdf/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It's best to search bridges for droppings and slides into the river, otters are territorial and they regularly mark their patch/boundary on the same rocks and bridges.

There was a nationwide Otter survey carried out a few years ago:

http://www.npws.ie/publications/irishwildlifemanuals/IWM%2076%20National%20Otter%20Survey.pdf

Take the last back slash off and the URL works.

Another survey http://www.miseproject.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Preliminary-report-Waterford-otter-survey.pdf and main page of project http://www.miseproject.ie/ongoing-projects/ireland/ongoing-projects-ireland-otter/

Worth checking out the pdf as it has some excellent pictures of spraint, pitty there is no "scratch and sniff" internet technology as once you know the smell its easy to tell what is otter **** and what isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

A friend saw and photographed two one evening last two weeks on the canal at Ard Clogh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

dawn seems to be the best time and even then there is no guarantee of seeing them. There is a river I visit at sunrise in wexford many times and I saw a pair of otters there just the one time. Been back a few times since and still not seen them......

here is one of the pics of got of them.... not a great pic but sure I hope to see them again on another day when I am better prepared to shoot them...

16127203737_fb5b0c71d7.jpgottar pair by BarryKelly, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dawn seems to be the best time and even then there is no guarantee of seeing them. There is a river I visit at sunrise in wexford many times and I saw a pair of otters there just the one time. Been back a few times since and still not seen them......

here is one of the pics of got of them.... not a great pic but sure I hope to see them again on another day when I am better prepared to shoot them...

16127203737_fb5b0c71d7.jpgottar pair by BarryKelly, on Flickr

By the look of the rocks behind they could be sleeping up nearby. We have similar rocks piled up as a sea defense on a beach near me and a female otter was living somewhere in them with a couple of young this summer.

these guys were fishing in the sea but they seemed to swim back up river when they were done..... I also caught some video of them I must find a way to post it on here......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

these guys were fishing in the sea but they seemed to swim back up river when they were done.....

Otters fishing in the sea need to be beside a freshwater source so that they can clean their fur properly, so they wont venture too far from a river like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Coming back from a walk yesterday & decided to stop & have a look along the river Slaney for Dippers that are along that stretch. Noticed some splashing in some backwater off main river so decided to sit & wait when out came 2 otters. Fantastic animals to watch. Could have done with more than my 300mm though.

01D642A18CC545A889E2836B11EA46EE-0000371741-0003718772-00800L-1410971508ED4E658C4178A7EAE6B713.jpg

0BA0B63E7A184F7F87DB096D89FB5AA0-0000371741-0003718771-00800L-A56C0F818C664A35858D711E8B1A7F33.jpg

BCF7FCAC13C74F4F81D21504341473C4-0000371741-0003718770-00800L-BF449F202C104F089773A40FFC5EC536.jpg

5C335C53FD974F56992E81948EC7F731-0000371741-0003718769-00800L-7FC5DB2D2D18482A89DBDC8D7C23E36E.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ive seen them in the Liffey at Castletown house Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv seen them around the lakes at the hospital a few times in the evening. My father has also seen them there

splish wrote: »
    Coming back from a walk yesterday & decided to stop & have a look along the river Slaney for Dippers that are along that stretch. Noticed some splashing in some backwater off main river so decided to sit & wait when out came 2 otters. Fantastic animals to watch. Could have done with more than my 300mm though.

[/URL]

where abouts on the slaney did you take these shots?
    Well done on getting them....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

where abouts on the slaney did you take these shots?
    Well done on getting them....
    Near Kildavin, Co. Carlow.

• Advertisement

Mod Note: If someone asks for a specific location for Otters, and they seem trustworthy based on previous posting history etc, then you can PM them (completely up to the individual though). But Otters are sometimes victims of unnecessary blame, if not persecution, so keep any locations posted in public fairly general to minimise any risk. (the above is grand, for the record!)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

OP, having regard for what the moderator just said, if you are near the 4th lock on the Naas branch, you are ........
    Apparently if the ducks are in the water, the otters are away. If they are out, the otters may be about. Creid na na Creid.

Advertisement