Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: Round 17 - US Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Does Kimi even care anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wonder will lotus manage some points or will vettel and button hold them off

does maldonado still have 5sec penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lol. Some great bumper car racing here. :D

Oh could get interesting in the traffic for ham and ros!

Lol Maldonado!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wondered what Vettel's crew were thinking, pulling him in so late for soft tyres, but the way he's chewing up the mid-field has me going "a-ha". :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lol Maldonado!
    LOL Grosjean, who seems to have joined a Drift crew on his perambulations ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Bittersweet in that the drivers championship is now over (baring mechanical failures) but there was some fantastic wheel to wheel racing today through the field!

Rosberg has been mentally beaten today and there is no way back for him.

Well done Lewis. Some great mid field battles there a bit disappointing up front though. Ricciardo was mighty impressive again!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Some great battles. Has to be one of the races with the most overtaking this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Defo one of the best races this year with lots happening throughout.

So for Brazil, if Lewis has a DNF and Rosberg wins, double points in the last race won't matter a damn!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

bnt wrote: »
    LOL Grosjean, who seems to have joined a Drift crew on his perambulations ...

It's still amusing when Grosjean complains that somebody has made contact with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

The podium presenter guy is a laugh, has he had a few ales? Hamilton wanted his hat he was having none of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

The podium presenter guy is a laugh, has he had a few ales? Hamilton wanted his hat he was having none of it

Podium Presenter Guy? Mario "Podium Presenter Guy" Andretti?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If Rosberg could get to the last race within 13 points of Lewis, then it would be down to who wins the last race and the second place guy wouldn't matter.
    That would be exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Hahahahahaha ^^^^^^^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,385 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

former world champion mario andretti :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ah! Did not know he was very good just funny interactions with drivers did not recognise him to be honest hard tell with his cowboy hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Excellent race, shame about the result. Cannot believe how bad Raikkonen was, hopefully there was damage to the car. If that was his best then I can't see him staying around too much longer.

Great watching Vettel having fun.

Rosberg was beaten fair and square, Hamilton just seems to be on a roll. Can't believe we're going to end another season with one driver winning every race. I'm a fan of Rosberg but if he somehow manages to win the championship due to double points it would be a travesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Good midfield battles, but up front its very boring really, Lewis made that overtake look easy.

...and those double points.

Ah! Did not know he was very good just funny interactions with drivers did not recognise him to be honest hard tell with his cowboy hat

That was funny at the end. "Can I go now?" Lol

I'm not a fan of either Nico or Lewis, but I'd prefer Nico to win the championship than Lewis. And I know how I'd like it to go:

Nico DNF's in Brazil, Lewis wins. Gap is 49 points.

Lewis has issues in Abu Dhabi, either DNF's or Finishes outside of the points. Nico wins WDC by the same 1 point Lewis lucked his 2008 championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of either Nico or Lewis, but I'd prefer Nico to win the championship than Lewis. And I know how I'd like it to go:

Lewis has issues in Abu Dhabi, either DNF's or Finishes outside of the points. Nico wins WDC by the same 1 point Lewis lucked his 2008 championship.

Time to put that pint down son.

Time to put that pint down son.

It's about as farcical as Timo Glock messing up in Juncao on the last lap of the last race...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It's about as farcical as Timo Glock messing up in Juncao on the last lap of the last race...

I never get how people can be so bitter about 2008 still. In his first 2 seasons he was clearly one of the best drivers and the Mclaren wasn't even the best car the year he won it! How people can begrudge him a WC is bazaar even if you don't like him as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Any word on the investigation into the Vergne / Grosjean incident? Tbh I think vergne deserved a penalty for that one

I never get how people can be so bitter about 2008 still. In his first 2 seasons he was clearly one of the best drivers and the Mclaren wasn't even the best car the year he won it! How people can begrudge him a WC is bazaar even if you don't like him as a person.

Massa and Hamilton were pretty much matched throughout the year. Massa got what, if it was Hamilton, would have been called a "champions win", and Massa would have "stolen" the WDC. But it was the other way around, so Hamilton did "just enough" or "made up that crucial difference to clinch the title". It was Massa's WDC. Glock lucked Hamilton the win.

The reason the "bitterness" continues, is because people act as if Hamilton won the WDC outright, when it couldn't be further from the truth. If Rosberg wins the WDC this year, it would be as if Massa had been in Hamiltons position in 08: a steal, lucky, undeserved. It's already been referred to as a travesty in this forum should it happen.

Any word on the investigation into the Vergne / Grosjean incident? Tbh I think vergne deserved a penalty for that one

Nothing yet.

I thought it was well documented that both Toyotas, being the only cars still on dry tyres, were completely screwed as the rain increased. Both cars fell off the cliff in the 3rd sector with Trulli being even slower than Glock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I love how people mention Brazil 2008 making Hamilton lucky all while ignoring the farce that took place at Spa that same year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The prospect of Hamilton tears has all scruples thrown out the window.

If Hamilton was lucky in 08, he paid for it 2012. He had horrible luck that year when a title was defiantly on.

I can't believe so many were duped by qualifying. First, it was clear Hamilton was hindered by brake problems. Like so many of his qualifying sessions. Secondably, why would today be the day Rosberg converts a pole? Even Hill and Herbert backed him, citing the mythical psychological edge and momentum. He has no answers on Sundays.

Fifth win in a row, tenth win overall. On the podium every time he finishes. There's your consistency.

I thought it was well documented that both Toyotas, being the only cars still on dry tyres, were completely screwed as the rain increased. Both cars fell off the cliff in the 3rd sector with Trulli being even slower than Glock.

Glock only had to survive for 1 lap, but chose a wide line through Juncao. Trulli being slow isn't really a measure for anything... it's called the Trulli Train for a reason...

Gillespy wrote: »
    The prospect of Hamilton tears has all scruples thrown out the window.

If Hamilton was lucky in 08, he paid for it 2012. He had horrible luck that year when a title was defiantly on.

I can't believe so many were duped by qualifying. First, it was clear Hamilton was hindered by brake problems. Like so many of his qualifying sessions. Secondably, why would today be the day Rosberg converts a pole? Even Hill and Herbert backed him, citing the mythical psychological edge and momentum. He has no answers on Sundays.

Fifth win in a row, tenth win overall. On the podium every time he finishes. There's your consistency.

10 wins should guarantee a WDC, 10 second places and 1 less retirement should guarantee an equal shot at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Glock only had to survive for 1 lap, but chose a wide line through Juncao. Trulli being slow isn't really a measure for anything... it's called the Trulli Train for a reason...

What?

Both Toyota's on dry tyres were both miles off the pace to the rest of the field on the last lap.

Genuinely can't believe people are still begrudging Hamilton his one World Championship. It's absolutely pathetic if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It still worked out for Glock, he gained a place on where he was before the others pitted.
    Sure he managed to finish 6 second behind the other two even though they only passed him a few 100 meters from the line but he hung on to that extra point.

About the volume on the broadcast tonight, BBC sound is ok on the Highlights, seems Setanta aren't mixing the feeds very well :confused:

astrofluff wrote: »
    About the volume on the broadcast tonight, BBC sound is ok on the Highlights, seems Setanta aren't mixing the feeds very well :confused:

What coverage are Setanta taking? Sky or the World Feed with Commentary?

Vergne handed a 5 second penalty post race, meaning Maldonado moves up to 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Going to be a great end of season now. Thought Hamilton drove a fantastic race and basically just wanted it more!

Also good to see that final sprint by Vettel (who looked woeful all weekend up to that point). The man will be a serious force to be reckoned with if Ferrari can produce a decent car next year.

Great race for Riccardo too, did well to beat the Williams and also put some heat on the Mercs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What coverage are Setanta taking? Sky or the World Feed with Commentary?

World pictures with sound, BBC commentry. To be fair I thought the Setanta mix was OK, as long as Team radio can be heard over commentry I'm OK

• Advertisement

Do you really believe Glock threw it on purpose?

Do you really believe Glock threw it on purpose?

Exactly the opposite. It was a mistake, a fluke. Bad Luck.

Fair enough but why call it a farce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

You know Hamilton is doing well when Glock's name is brought up.:pac:

32 wins now, same as Alonso. He has the time to pass Prost's total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

So you want breakdowns to decide the championship? :rolleyes: Sounds like a fascinating end to the season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All the while overlooking the fact that if his gearbox hadn't crapped itself in that race, he'd have won it in a more comfortable fashion. Let it go dude, it's been six years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

McLarens looked like they were carrying too much downforce on the rear. Both drivers struggled yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Have it recorded on the BBC, is it a race with watching?

Absolutely, some great racing!

• Advertisement

It is an arrestable offence to delete the recording of the US GP without watching it. Shame that it's a highlight version though.

Advertisement