Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old RTE F1 coverage??

Options
  • 04-03-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has videos of RTE's F1 coverage from yester-year. I'm sure there's someone out there who has a full collection of VHS tapes (like I used to religously record but I don't have anymore). Mostly I'm just looking for the programmes intro videos with the various theme songs of The Hooters Satellite ('95 I think), Firestarter ('97-ish?) and Right Here Right Now (up to '04).

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone has videos of RTE's F1 coverage from yester-year. I'm sure there's someone out there who has a full collection of VHS tapes (like I used to religously record but I don't have anymore). Mostly I'm just looking for the programmes intro videos with the various theme songs of The Hooters Satellite ('95 I think), Firestarter ('97-ish?) and Right Here Right Now (up to '04).

Any help?

I might, long shot but will have a look

can only find 2004, have some one or two back from '99 but itv coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

Great, thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

You can get all the seasons going back to the 70's to download. Wont be rte coverage and it would just be the races but might be of interest to someone

wobbles wrote: »
    You can get all the seasons going back to the 70's to download. Wont be rte coverage and it would just be the races but might be of interest to someone

Ya, I have all the season reviews from 1970 - 2010, it's a great collection to have.

I was just interested in pulling out some of the old RTE coverage since I was chatting to someone about it, for nostalgia sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ya, I have all the season reviews from 1970 - 2011, it's a great collection to have.

Really? Any tips for this year :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Really? Any tips for this year :p

You got me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Have Silverstone 95 in full somewhere at home

Have Silverstone 95 in full somewhere at home

That would be really cool to see again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Mostly I'm just looking for the programmes intro videos with the various theme songs of The Hooters Satellite ('95 I think), Firestarter ('97-ish?) and Right Here Right Now (up to '04).

Any help?

Thank you!! I have been trying to track this song down for years!!!

They had that intro for 1995 only I think. I can't place what was used for 1996/7 but it was replaced in the 1998 season by Firestarter. A few years later Right Here Right Now was introduced.

96/97 was it a different Prodigy song? For some reason I'm thinking Voodoo People.

Also, I've a soft spot for the ITV intro's (1997-99; Jamiroquay's composition and 2000-02; Apollo 440, Blackbeat). More so to do with my fondness of Murray Walker than anything else.

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    Thank you!! I have been trying to track this song down for years!!!

They had that intro for 1995 only I think. I can't place what was used for 1996/7 but it was replaced in the 1998 season by Firestarter. A few years later Right Here Right Now was introduced.

96/97 was it a different Prodigy song? For some reason I'm thinking Voodoo People.

Also, I've a soft spot for the ITV intro's (1997-99; Jamiroquay's composition and 2000-02; Apollo 440, Blackbeat). More so to do with my fondness of Murray Walker than anything else.

Glad I can help. I found out the name of that song way back in '95 on the jukebox in a chipper! It was definatly a match to BBC's The Chain at the time.
    Wiki:
    In 1987 The Hooters experienced their first major commercial success in Europe. After heavy airplay in the United Kingdom, "Satellite," from the album One Way Home, became a hit single, reaching No. 22, with the band performing on the popular British television show Top of the Pops on December 3, where they would meet one of their musical idols, Paul McCartney. "Satellite" was also featured on an episode of the television show Miami Vice titled "Amen...Send Money," which first aired on October 2, 1987.

All I recall from '96/'97 (I think) were the eircell sponsorship ads. And I've just found this epic video!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Sorry to take the thread this way, but who remembers this ?
    At least 15 times during a race (well maybe not quite, but still). This still makes me want to put my boot through the screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXE2CddX5Qs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

ratedR wrote: »
    Sorry to take the thread this way, but who remembers this ?
    At least 15 times during a race (well maybe not quite, but still). This still makes me want to put my boot through the screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXE2CddX5Qs

Oh jesus stop... Along with that stupid pink poodle....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

wobbles wrote: »

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

smooch71 wrote: »
    Where?

http://www.racing-underground.com

No RTE coverage on there though afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

There in other places other than racing-underground.com, although im sure racing-underground is the best place. Youd need to be invited to get in there (been trying to get an invite for ages but no joy). With the others you just have to register. They are not exactly legal sites so im not posting links/names here

jordainius wrote: »
    Oh jesus stop... Along with that stupid pink poodle....:mad:

That has gone way over my head...

Any sign of rte picking this up? At this stage can we say no F1 on rte?

Any sign of rte picking this up? At this stage can we say no F1 on rte?

Nope, it was confirmed today that Setanta Ireland will continue to broadcast F1, though it seems they will now actually be using BBC coverage. Personally I think this is pointless for Setanta becase (correct me if I'm wrong) if you can recieve Setanta, you can recieve BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

The Hooters for 96 I think, Firestarter for 97-99/00, then Right Here, Right Now till the end. Dunno what was there in 95, can't remember.

I used to come across old races the whole time on VHS left around the house, doubt any of them are left now, but one sombre thing I do have that I must put on Youtube before the tape dies is a recording of the evening Sunday Sport program on RTÉ from 1st May 1994 - a lot of which is devoted to a Cork - Tipperary NHL semi-final, but at the end Michael Lyster announces the death of Ayrton Senna and there follows a report by Robbie Irwin.

• Advertisement

The Lopper wrote: »
    The Hooters for 96 I think, Firestarter for 97-99/00, then Right Here, Right Now till the end. Dunno what was there in 95, can't remember.

I used to come across old races the whole time on VHS left around the house, doubt any of them are left now, but one sombre thing I do have that I must put on Youtube before the tape dies is a recording of the evening Sunday Sport program on RTÉ from 1st May 1994 - a lot of which is devoted to a Cork - Tipperary NHL semi-final, but at the end Michael Lyster announces the death of Ayrton Senna and there follows a report by Robbie Irwin.

I very vaguely remember seeing that on TV at the time, it was before I had ever heard of F1. Please do post it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

I am attempting to get readers of my site to dig out VHS tapes from home and send them in so I can put together a Youtube video of intros/outros and some interviews.

I'll let ye know what I can get my hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I have a large amount of VHS tapes from the 97,98,99 seasons including Jordan wins. Too darn expensive to convert to DVD/Avi's. Someday I'll get my hands on a converter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Lol good thread back from the dead!

Talking intros, anybody remembers these?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Blrv8HsSyk

It's FujiTV's...at the time (early '90s) the theme song and even the "F1 Grand Prix" logo were often featured in Arcade games.

I remember always waiting for the Japanese Grand Prix with some anticipation just to watch this intro, as the Italian TV simply picked up FujiTV's coverage and had a commentator in studio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

ando wrote: »
    I have a large amount of VHS tapes from the 97,98,99 seasons including Jordan wins. Too darn expensive to convert to DVD/Avi's. Someday I'll get my hands on a converter!!

That's something I'm interested in doing with them. Would you have any interest in lending me the tapes to do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ando wrote: »

You don,t need a converter. Just buy a compi Dvd/VCR online maybe Ebay one that can record from tape to DVD and then you will have all the tapes on dvd and can upload them from your computer dvd drive to a harddrive not that expensive. Just be carefull you don,t record from the blank dvd to the tape if you do get one I done it onceand was raging did not realise untill the damage was done. Luckily we still have what was recorded over on that tape on another one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

AMKC wrote: »
    You don,t need a converter. Just buy a compi Dvd/VCR online maybe Ebay one that can record from tape to DVD and then you will have all the tapes on dvd and can upload them from your computer dvd drive to a harddrive not that expensive. Just be carefull you don,t record from the blank dvd to the tape if you do get one I done it onceand was raging did not realise untill the damage was done. Luckily we still have what was recorded over on that tape on another one.

You can break off the little plastic tab on the tape so you can't record over it.

If anyone does manage to put any old rte coverage online could you let us know? I'd love to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nope, it was confirmed today that Setanta Ireland will continue to broadcast F1, though it seems they will now actually be using BBC coverage. Personally I think this is pointless for Setanta becase (correct me if I'm wrong) if you can recieve Setanta, you can recieve BBC.
    I would assume the difference is that Setanta can show all the races live while BBC is stuck with highlights for most the races. Australia shows BBC coverage live too, it's just polluted with ads that only seem to be shown at the worst possible time.

Advertisement