Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to fix a loose 640m hinge without calling the man..

• 29-09-2007 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The left side screen hinge on my 640m is starting to get a bit loose. Im wondering how I can tighten it without having to go through the ordeal of calling the dell engineers? (I've 4 year NBD service on it).

Here's the offending hinge..

Image038.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

that little silver piece that your monitor sits around, that clips off, very small screwdriver and you can clip it off, under this is your screw that holds the hinge for your monitor onto your laptop base. tighten this screw.

edit: meant to say push your monitor as far back as it will lie, normally 180degrees on the flat. the bit i'm on about is just over the word INSPIRON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Hell use the warranty as its NBD they'll be there with ya as long as you ring and log the call before 4:30pm.
    As advised above you can remove the bezel above keyboard by lying the screen flat and on the right hand side beneath the ringht screen hinge you should see a little groove that a flat head small screw driver fits into to pop that bezel up.
    This give you access to the hinges and allows keyboard removal etc.
    I advise to use your warranty tho', you did pay for it...might get a new screen out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

majiktripp wrote:
    ...might get a new screen out of it.

doubt it, at the end of the day its only a hinge and when he can do it himself in less than a minute why wait for a day to get someone out. it wont void your warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Done!

The cover wouldnt just pop off so I suspected it was secured some other way. I took out the battery from the back of it and saw two little screws and once they were out, the cover popped off easily. The screws securing the hinges were very loose.. so once they were tightened, and everything put back together, I was in business!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Sorry fo rdigging up this old post but i have identical problem but my screws will not catch the threads to screw back on.

Very frustrating tried everything. just wondering should i buy longer screws from Ebay as the original screws are 5mm long and when the hings is off the screws work ok but when the hinge is on the screws will no way catch the thread.

has anyone else ever come up against this problem on a Dell Inspiron 6000? (think i am jinxed)

• Advertisement
Advertisement