Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you have a budgie?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All

I did a project before on here with help from all you guys on goldfish it really helped. So here I am again and Im now looking for pet Budgie stories, as much detail as possible would be great as I intend to make portraits of them, so things like colour, description, like any odd markings, their name, how long they lived and how they died and if they were buried, unlike mine, my mum wrapped it in newspaper and wanged it in the bin. Also any budgie tales you might have.

Thanks
    L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I had a budgie that couldn't fly. He was given to me by a friend, he just used to run around his cage or climb up and down it.
    He lived for two years with us although I don't know how old he was before I got him.
    He was blue and his name was Roadrunner. My friend bred budgies and he was born unable to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

hey there,

had a budgie called Peter, he was a blue and white, with his full ring of dark spots. got him from local pet store as a birthday present/ passing junior cert gift when he was a young one, so luckliy i was able to train him to talk.

By the end He could say "Hello!", and "Hello Peter" but we kept forgetting to tell people, so they'd get freaked out when they'd hear a raspy whisper from above. :D and could send people running for mobiles by copying the basic ringtones.

Was totally obsessed with the mirror, he didnt have one in his cage, as I'd never get him out of it, but he'd sit on the main room mirror, and swing upside down to chat away to himself, even sitting on my shoulders, he'd walk around my neck so he could look at himself.

Hated the spritz bottle, so i would prepare the table for his bath, one bowl of room temp water, one cloth to clean up the mess, and lots of chirping and whistling. he would plop into the bowl and fan out his wings and tail and do a little dance to get a good rinse.

sorry only saw this thread now, been good to think of peter again, he died a few months after i left to go to college, so he was there for the formative years so to speak :) Have always loved budgies, and thinking of getting one again soon. and a quick side note, peter was buried under the camillia bush in my mothers garden beside the sisters hamster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I had a white budgie called Ali.
    He/ she died when I was about 9. We had him/ her about 5 or 6 years. I don't know what happened to the body.
    He/ she was pure white with slight blue flecks on his/ her wings.
    He/ she used to sit on our heads.

That's all I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We had two budgies when I was very young (under ten). One was mainly blue breasted, black/white wings and white head. Think it was female. The other was a very typical green/yellow/black colour. Think it was male. The male was Smokey, the female was Bandit (it was the 80's!).

They were my brother's officially, but they occupied the space in front of the bay window in the hall looking out onto the street and catching all the best sunshine. The dog we got about 4 years after the budgies died, funnily used to love lying in the same spot.

Don't really remember what happened to them, but as far as I know they only lived about 5 years. They used to be allowed fly around the house (sometimes). One of these times, someone left a window open and the two birds went out. Much panic and driving around the streets ensued.
    A few hours later, a friend of my brothers, living about 2km away, called. The two birds had come in an upstairs window of their house, and he recognised the birds as ours and caught them.

I remember the blue one, Bandit, was always quieter and more fragile than the green one. She died and I think she was buried in the back garden. Smokey lived for another 2 years or so, and he too died and was buried in the back garden.

For some reason the bottom of the cage was lined with some kind of sandpaper. I can still perfectly recall the sound of their claws scratching along the bottom of the cage when they're moving around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My gran had a budgie called Barney who could talk. I barely remember his markings but he was mainly blue. He lived maybe 10 years iirc. He ate all sorts of junk and would fly to the table to pick food off your plate. He's also sit on your neck breaking the links on your chain.

His phrases included; "Dopey Dodie", "Billy's a p***k" "poooooooor Barney" and all sorts of swears - it wasn't usual for him to unleash a string of expletives at guests. My Gran has a lot of grandchildren so it was a great laugh for us to teach the poor bird to misbehave, and he'd pick up phrases so quickly.

He'd also get the dog into trouble by barking at 6am (sunrise) - my gran would thunder downstairs to find the poor dog fast asleep while the bird barked away in the cage. He'd copy the oven and microwave beeper, the noise of the door opening and the doorbell. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

seamus wrote: »
    For some reason the bottom of the cage was lined with some kind of sandpaper. I can still perfectly recall the sound of their claws scratching along the bottom of the cage when they're moving around :)

ah the universal trimming of the nails lol we had the sandpaper wrapped around one of the perches, as the little blighter would tear the sheets to ribbons if laid on the bottom of the tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

hi, I've had four budgies over the years. Charlie was my first bird, just the typical blue colour. Used to call him Charlie Bird. Then came Sammy, she was a lovely yellow colour and couldnt fly. When Charlie died aged about 5 a neighbour found a green budgie in her garden and I took it in. He was named Obi.

To keep Obi company my son bought a beautiful white and purple budgie from his Communion money. He named him Louis. Hes now 9 years old. Poor Obi died last year and I've decided not to get any more birds. I find it too distressing when they die. I feel sorry for Louis on his own, so was thinking of buying a plastic budgie(you know the ones on a spring). Hes always talking to himself in the mirror, I think he thinks its another bird. Maybe he'll think the plastic bird is real. Will give it a go anyway.

I have buried all my birds in the back garden, wrapped in kitchen paper except for one. My daughter insisted he be buried in Christmas paper as he died just after xmas.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

After typing my last post it brought back some sad memories. When Sammy my yellow bird was dying in my hand my little girl was in tears. They were playing Michael Jacksons song "You Are Not Alone" on the radio and to this day whenever she hears the song she turns it off or leaves the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Budgie # 1 - Bertie. An amazing bird. Lived for 7 years and all were an absolute joy. We used to but the wash basket on the floor (plastic, sort of cylindrical) and we would put a toy or two in it. HE would walk up the inside of the basket and after his weight kicked in it would roll forward with him stood still and his toys would roll after him. This would go on for ages.

He would also stick his entire head in my mouth (I was a kid). Unconditional trust.

Budgie # 2 - Rocky. Again, amazing. Loved attention and I think our two budgies were so attentive because my dad gave them so much of it first thing in the morning which is when they are at their most alert. This one learnt noises like the chugging of a train, a couple of different whistles and such. Also loved to drag a ribbon around the floor. Would tear apart a page from the newspaper in one sitting. A broadsheet no less.

Remembering this has made me sad. Also, earlier today one of my cats emerged from the bush with a budgie who must have been hiding from the local birds. We rushed it to the vet but the poor fella was gone. I have to knock on all my neighbours doors now as it is clearly someones escaped pet. :(:(:(:(:(:(

Advertisement