Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netbook for 12-16 year olds?

• 09-10-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Okay, so both my 12 year old daughter and 16 year old son are wanting laptops for Christmas, and while I CAN get each of them a good Dell (WITH a 3-year warranty, accidental coverage, and lojack) for about $840 each, I'm wondering if MAYBE I'd be better of getting them a netbook instead.

Really, at this point, all they need the computer for is surfing the web, messaging, essays in Word, and using iTunes to manage their music. Neither one of them really uses the computer for installing/downloadin PC games, so I'm just trying to figure out which will be a better deal in the long run.

Again, while they are 12 and 16 now, in 3 years he will be going off to college and she will be starting high school. Suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

jesus,kids these days!!!
    At that age I still had my vtech "laptop":D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The advent 4211 seems to be the best value for money. It's a 10" so would be the perfect combination of portability and usability at least in my opinion. It also has xp which is an advantage as pretty much everyone is familiar with it. Saying that I prefer the looks of the eeepc 1000 series so I'd get one of those, they are more expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

"Essays in Word " LOL....I can almost hear the pleading from the kids ...need it for school etc !All they want to do is go on Bebo etc .A 179 euro(on Pixmania +P&P-Probably better to get it by hand from Elara if near Dublin for about 200)) ASUS EEE 2G will do them fine!!!Hope they appreciate ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I would imagine they would much prefer a Netbook, they are much smaller & lighter and not to mention more fashionable. They wont have any problems with small keyboards or screens either.

Sounds like a much better option to a full laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Really, at this point, all they need the computer for is surfing the web, messaging, essays in Word, and using iTunes to manage their music.

Netbooks don't really have the capacity for storing large amounts of music.
    You might want to consider some large capacity SD cards or an external hard drive for media, I myself am using a WD Passport with my EEE 900 and it works like a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The likes of the Acer Aspire One & Advent 4211 come with 120gb Drives....more than enough space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The cheapest Dell laptops (the Vostro's) are actually CHEAPER than a netbook, are more powerful, come with way more hard drive space, and in general are just better than netbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The cheapest Dell laptops (the Vostro's) are actually CHEAPER than a netbook, are more powerful, come with way more hard drive space, and in general are just better than netbooks.

The only problem with that is that they are usually twice the size and almost three times the weight in some cases. It all comes down to what your needs are, if you want something that you can carry around with you all day, then a netbook is your man, if it'll be desk bound, then you'd have to consider a larger more powerful laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

They don't have CD drives!
    So the children won't be getting any music from Cd's they have allready it will be all downloaded which cost money with itunes...

I'm just going by the fact you said "manage their music"it seems like they allready have some and won't be downloading it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you can get good laptops,from,dell, marx pcs,450 or 499,120gig hd,1gig ram,vista os.the advent netbook is 370 in pc world.or look in dixons /tesco shops.make sure download NAOIMI free child net filter/protection software.get a good brand like sony,toshiba or dell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement