Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvements needed to BE Route 109

• 16-11-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Moving things over to R109, what changes would people like to see to this ever troublesome route as it trys to do all things for all people??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

give us a clue...what's wrong with it in particular and where does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

Route 109 is the stage carriage or stopping service to Cavan, serving Dun shaughlin, Navan, Kells, Virginia and Cavan, I would guess the things wrong with far outweigh the things right with it, the lenght of time it takes and the amount of places served as well as the route it takes (Blanchardstown Shopping Centre). I guess time keeping is a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i know nothing about it but I'd say there are people from out the country who use it to get to Blanch. Would a limited -stop service be feasible?

corktina wrote: »
    i know nothing about it but I'd say there are people from out the country who use it to get to Blanch. Would a limited -stop service be feasible?

I know from other treads on here that in the mornings the buses could sit in traffic for 10 minutes to drop of one passenger, now this passenger does need to get there but what way is a great question. I am doing abit of looking at the minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Since the opening of the M3 the 109 route has tried to be all things to all people. Dedicated express routes for Dunshaughlin and Navan are required. Going through sheaf of wheat, Clonee, blanch, Mater etc is so frustrating. Greater reliability in times for non commuting times is required. Even at commuting times no bus will turn up or will be full on a fairly regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got the 109 bus from Busarus on Saturday morning at 11.30am. It got stuck in traffic going into Blanch S.C which meant it was almost 12.40 before we even got to Dunshaughlin. Arrived in Cavan Town at the rediculous time of 2.20. A full 40 minutes after the advertised arrival time.

All shopping center's seem to be busier than usual this year and earlier, must be good for economy!

But how can thing be improved, if this happens?

How can a service still be provided to Blanchardstown, just serve the slip road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

CVH24 wrote: »
    All shopping center's seem to be busier than usual this year and earlier, must be good for economy!

But how can thing be improved, if this happens?

How can a service still be provided to Blanchardstown, just serve the slip road?
    The last few Christmases the busses skipped the shopping centre with minimum of notice. Maybe make a complaint and they can introduce that measure now?

Here's a previous notice of the measure:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1223&month=Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

gazzer wrote: »
    I got the 109 bus from Busarus on Saturday morning at 11.30am. It got stuck in traffic going into Blanch S.C which meant it was almost 12.40 before we even got to Dunshaughlin. Arrived in Cavan Town at the rediculous time of 2.20. A full 40 minutes after the advertised arrival time.

You should be aware then, that the person who started this discussion wants you and other passengers for Cavan at Bus Aras to be charged a higher ticket price if you take the number 30 to Cavan from Bus Aras, to discourage you from using the 30 bus and force you to take the 109.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93055441&postcount=23

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93058223&postcount=25

Horseburger would you go and get a life, thats on a different tread, you improve on service and you can improve the integration of all services. The 30 is not 109 and belongs in its own tread, I said i would leave you to your beliefs as your holding no logic, Good bye Horseburger unless you have something constructive to say, circle do not solve problems.

• Advertisement

Horseburger would you go and get a life, thats on a different tread, you improve on service and you can improve the integration of all services. The 30 is not 109 and belongs in its own tread, I said i would leave you to your beliefs as your holding no logic, Good bye Horseburger unless you have something constructive to say, circle do not solve problems.

So you are on here asking 109 users what improvements they want implemented on the 109 service but you don't want in highlighted that in another thread that you suggested forcing more people for Virginia and Cavan to use the 109 instead of the 30.

You argued that there wasn't much difference in the times taken on both the 109 and 30 to get to Cavan.

It has been shown by the post I replied to here, that the 109 takes much longer to get to Virginia and Cavan during the day.

It is on the services later at night, for example the midnight Donegal service from Dublin, that there is not much more difference, in the time it gets to Virginia and Cavan, when there is no traffic congestion. This midnight service always has space and will also bring 109 passengers for Navan and Kells from Bus Aras and the airport.

The various towns on the midnight 30 service from Dublin are drop off points, since 16th November, and will take people from Dublin and the airport to those towns; Navan, Kells, Butlersbrige, Belturbet, Derrylin, Bellanaleck, Enniskillen, Belleek and Ballyshannon.

Virginia and Cavan are pick up and drop off points on all the 30 bus services including the midnight service.

You said before that they go only go through Virginia on the 30 bus because they can't avoid it. Well, if they wanted to, they could just drive through it without stopping, in the same way as various train services between Cork and Dublin and Belfast and Dublin don't stop at certain intermediate train stations in the various towns they go through.

Obviously, therefore, Bus Éireann find that people from Virginia are using the 30 service to and from Dublin City centre and also to and from the airport.

You are expecting Cavan and Virginia passengers to use a service that takes longer during the day. I suggested in the other discussion, because the Cavan fares are not much cheaper from Dublin than the fares from Dublin to Donegal that they would be contributing greatly to the 30 service. All you did was to suggest they pay more to use that service, even though they would be using that 30 service up and down to Dublin throughout the week. I suggested that because Bus Éireann makes available the option of a 10 journey ticket for Cavan passengers on the 30, that this is an indication that they use the 30 bus very regularly.

You ignored all those points.

All your suggestion - of discouraging passengers for Virginia and Cavan to use the 30 - will do is to cause more people on the 109 to be inconvenienced as those buses will fill quicker. You don't seem to mind that passengers of another service get left behind when the bus they intended to get fills.

Your suggestion to make anyone for Cavan and Virginia at Bus Aras use the 109, would then mean that the because there's more people getting on at Bus Aras, that as a result people at the other stops on the 109 route, for example Blanchardstown, would then be left less certain of space being available. If the bus they hoped to get is full, they then would have to wait for the next bus.

You did not consider that by ensuring there was more space on the 30 bus by making Cavan passengers use the 109, that all you are doing is shoving those passengers onto another service, so the issue of people having to be left behind when buses fill, waiting for the next service, would not be solved.

You also ignore the fact that is has been demonstrated clearly that Bus Éireann accommodate the Donegal passengers on the 30 route, by requesting anyone for Cavan take the 109 when there's a 109 departing at the same time.

You have a damn nerve telling me to get a life. You started this discussion here and also asked people for their views on your suggestion in the other thread.

So what if I mention above, what you stated in another thread.

Obviously, you only wanted people to reply - in both threads - who agreed with you.

The queue at 5 yesterday for the 5:30 express shows the need for further express buses. People are aware it gets you home quicker then 17:15 for Navan bound passengers

Horseburger go get a life?

Empty vessels make most noise!!

Look to improve a service for all, if as you point out BE make the decision to not load 30 for Virginia and Cavan, I would like to see 109 as a good alternative so as not to need people to travel on 30, that it would be served by sevices as good and fast as is possible, you never explained why not to consider 109X. Everyone should have the best possible service not just Cavan and viginia.

Also you never explained why all other forms of transport price by demand, (air, sea and even Irish rail) ?

Horseburger go get a life?

Empty vessels make most noise!!

Look to improve a service for all, if as you point out BE make the decision to not load 30 for Virginia and Cavan, I would like to see 109 as a good alternative so as not to need people to travel on 30, that it would be served by sevices as good and fast as is possible, you never explained why not to consider 109X. Everyone should have the best possible service not just Cavan and viginia.

Also you never explained why all other forms of transport price by demand, (air, sea and even Irish rail) ?

You are now suggesting that the 30 bus should not serve Cavan or Virginia at all.

I am suggesting that if they took the Cavan and Virginia stops off the 30 service, there would not be anywhere near the same numbers of passengers using it.

I am stating that people going to and from Donegal are using the 30 service, but not as regularly throughout the week, as those from Cavan and Virginia. As a result I am suggesting that considering the fare isn't much cheaper for Cavan passengers from Dublin, that they are helping maintain the 30 bus service.

Therefore, if the 30 bus did not serve Cavan or Virginia, that could result in less daily passengers and the possibility of the numbers of daily services throughout the day being reduced.

As I already said, Bus Éireann would not make Cavan and Virginia drop off and pick up points on the 30 bus if it wasn't of benefit to them.

If Cavan and Virginia were not important to Bus Éireann on the 30 bus service, then perhaps they would have stopped serving both towns, in the same way they stopped serving Drogheda and Dundalk on the Dublin Belfast service in May 2011.

In the case of Drogheda and Dundalk, those passengers have the alternative of a train service from Dublin. Dundalk passengers also have the option of Matthews Coaches to and from Dublin.

Cavan and Virginia passengers only have the option of using Bus Éireann services by bus, so I think it is good that Bus Éireann serve both towns on the 30 service.

Why are you making stupid comments like "Empty vessels make most noise!!"?

It doesn't exactly strengthen any of your arguments.

You are now suggesting that the 30 bus should not serve Cavan or Virginia at all.

I am suggesting that if they took the Cavan and Virginia stops off the 30 service, there would not be anywhere near the same numbers of passengers using it.

I am stating that people going to and from Donegal are using the 30 service, but not as regularly throughout the week, as those from Cavan and Virginia. As a result I am suggesting that considering the fare isn't much cheaper for Cavan passengers from Dublin, that they are helping maintain the 30 bus service.

Therefore, if the 30 bus did not serve Cavan or Virginia, that could result in less daily passengers and the possibility of the numbers of daily services throughout the day being reduced.

As I already said, Bus Éireann would not make Cavan and Virginia drop off and pick up points on the 30 bus if it wasn't of benefit to them.

If Cavan and Virginia were not important to Bus Éireann on the 30 bus service, then perhaps they would have stopped serving both towns, in the same way they stopped serving Drogheda and Dundalk on the Dublin Belfast service in May 2011.

In the case of Drogheda and Dundalk, those passengers have the alternative of a train service from Dublin. Dundalk passengers also have the option of Matthews Coaches to and from Dublin.

Cavan and Virginia passengers only have the option of using Bus Éireann services by bus, so I think it is good that Bus Éireann serve both towns on the 30 service.

Why are you making stupid comments like "Empty vessels make most noise!!"?

It doesn't exactly strengthen any of your arguments.

Now why are Virginia and Cavan severed on 30, virginia can not be missed, no by pass. Take 30 out of cavan and there is no link from there to the rest of the northern route.

I said if BE decide not to load passenger on 30 for virginia and cavan as you point out they have on the timetable, so I would think that its better than sitting on the slow bus to china, by looking at ways to improve services and if so you would have an hourly alternative to serve these towns better. Lets be positive. lets move on to look at ways to improve things for everyone!

Im my experience it is impossible to get the 30 to Cavan from Dublin anyway. Anytime I have tried the driver has refused to let me on and has told me that I need to get the 109.

Im my experience it is impossible to get the 30 to Cavan from Dublin anyway. Anytime I have tried the driver has refused to let me on and has told me that I need to get the 109.

I have found that on the midnight bus, it is never a problem.

They state on the 30 bus pdf timetable during busy periods that they ask passengers for Cavan to use the 109 where there is a 109 leaving Dublin at the same time.

"During busy periods, customers travelling from Busáras to Virginia and Cavan will be requested to use route 109 services where these are departing at the same time as route 30 services".

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1415719270-030.pdf

What I was saying in my earlier post was how making more Cavan and Virginia customers use the 109 - who would prefer to use the 30 if there is space - would only push the problem of buses filling to capacity, with people left waiting for the next bus, onto the 109 Cavan service.

So the problem of the 30 bus not being able to take Donegal passengers at the airport, might be solved if Cavan people are not let use the 30 bus, but it would only result in the possibility of 109 buses filling quicker and passengers being left behind waiting for their next bus. You have detailed clearly in the other discussion, and here, that Donegal passengers get priority at the airport as well as Bus Aras. The person to whom I responded, suggested otherwise, that Cavan passengers were taking up space on the 30 service that Donegal passengers could use.

You have also shown how getting to Cavan, by taking the 109A, is not very convenient.

The poster to whom I replied before, suggested Cavan and Virginia passengers be charged more for taking the 30 bus from Bus Aras to make them take the 109 instead. I'm guessing those passengers would be less than enthused if such a measure was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They can "request" that passengers use the 109 service but can't really insist on it or the NTA might have something to say on that. If I was refused boarding on the 30 and was going to Virginia or Cavan I would request the reasons for the refusal in writing from an inspector in Busáras. They can't just force passengers to use a service that is much slower service when there is a better service provided for them.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They can "request" that passengers use the 109 service but can't really insist on it or the NTA might have something to say on that. If I was refused boarding on the 30 and was going to Virginia or Cavan I would request the reasons for the refusal in writing from an inspector in Busáras. They can't just force passengers to use a service that is much slower service when there is a better service provided for them.

They can read the terms and conditions you brought your ticket under, they can load the buses what ever way they want! I will be honest I was waiting for that to come up!!

They can read the terms and conditions you brought your ticket under, they can load the buses what ever way they want! I will be honest I was waiting for that to come up!!

This is why i am saying that 109 needs improvements but also reading comments on here of 109 to other towns it is not fit for purpose, so give constructive comments on improvements please.

• Advertisement

I will need to refine this thought but here goes
    Kells needs to be an interchange point with proper shelters.

If every second 109(to Cavan) went direct to kells then followed the N3 to Cavan (109X).

If there was one kells service along the current 109 (109) route to all a connection to 109X, on alternate Hours allow this go express to Dunshaughlin and along N3 to kells.

A service to Navan going mainly along 109 (109B) route with a M3 section to Dunshaughlin and back to route with loop of navan also. Allowing a quick route to Dunshaughlin and Navan.

So even out you would have 109X (cavan ), 109 (Kells), 109B to Navan
    so on odd hours you would have 109 (cavan), 109X (Kells), 109B to Navan

Any additional services would be direct X's to Navan and Kells to cater for Commuter traffic. and even an odd kells X extended to Cavan to given and hourly alternative to 30.

So places like navan road, cabra would have two buses per hour, Blanchards town slip road served by all and the shopping centre served by all stopping services.

More ideas welcome and please pick faults its just a though out of the head.

<snip>
    More ideas welcome and please pick faults its just a though out of the head.
    even if you did something along the lines of what you suggest for the peak morning and evening you'd be flying - and heres some sums.

Theres 12 busses between 4pm and 6pm leaving Dublin city centre for Navan and beyond.
    1 goes via the tunnel and 11 via the Cabra road.
    Say half/half singledeck/double deck so average 66 seats, then thats a capacity of 726 seats going via the Cabra road/ Dunshaughlin in 2 hours which is just bonkers.

Surely to god theres a good 500 of those passengers getting on at Busaras or before, looking to goto Navan or beyond not needing to get a tour of the Cabra road/ Dunshaughlin - meaning you could fill 6 double deck expresses via the tunnel.

Now, 6 expresses in that sample period would reduce the service on the old road too much, but at least the extra 4 "relief" busses providing a 15 minute service interval at a quarter past and quarter to the hour could be upgraded to expresses, leaving the "regular" timetable of a service on the hour and half hour via Cabra Road intact.

Surely to god theres a good 500 of those passengers getting on at Busaras or before, looking to goto Navan or beyond not needing to get a tour of the Cabra road/ Dunshaughlin - meaning you could fill 6 double deck expresses via the tunnel.

I'd agree with alot of this, however I also think that there needs to be some access to these buses for Dunshaughlin passengers otherwise you end up with the same situation as currently the case with the 5:30 express which gets passengers quicker to Navan then the 5:15 get passengers to Dunshaughlin.

There is an issue in Dunshaughlin with commuters taking up all the street parking spaces all day. The 2 extra stops were added to try relieve this. Perphaps a solution could be a Park & Ride hub on the M3 for the Dunshaughlin. Long term solution obviously

tara83 wrote: »
    There is an issue in Dunshaughlin with commuters taking up all the street parking spaces all day. The 2 extra stops were added to try relieve this. Perphaps a solution could be a Park & Ride hub on the M3 for the Dunshaughlin. Long term solution obviously
    there is a park and ride hub on the M3, called the M3 Parkway and has 1000 free spaces.
    Reliable train every half hour to docklands. Wait 5minutes at Clonsilla and you can get to Connolly/ Tara on the Maynooth train.

Oh, and its a good bit cheaper to get the train.
    Currently its €2,075 for an annual bus ticket for Dunshaughlin - Dublin.
    Train from M3 Parkway is €1,420 - and free parking, and you can use the Dart for free (should that be of use to you).

Well the peak period is 4-7 pm, there are 17 Buses in that period, but only two express vis the tunnel.

What % need to go via the Cabra road, my guess is 3 an hour so that leaves space 8 to not. Kells buses would be my best guess as the stopping services as they could link to the cavan express buses in kells.

Some need to go non stop to Kells, Navan and dunshauhglin.

say 2 cavan buses can go non stop to kells helping kells and and cavan

say the rest were to be slit as navan direct and navan direct to Dunshauhglin, so allowing the navan loop buses be relatively direct too.

Can a bus come off the M50 and stop at the bus eireann bus stop before the blanchardstown centre, ie not using the free flow lane.

Its strange Blanch is the only shopping centre directly(the centre its self) served by BE? around Dublin

They just say that they need to keep the seats free for passengers at the airport and that customers travelling to Donegal are priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They just say that they need to keep the seats free for passengers at the airport and that customers travelling to Donegal are priority.

And that is exactly what is said.

I have done it countless times boarding the 30 at Busaras and the majority accept it, a few ask why and are told that it is to accommodate airport passengers who unlike them have no alternative bus as that is the only reason we keep Virginia and Cavan passengers off the 30.

A small number still do not care that they may seriously inconvenience others and try what foggy <snip> posted by asserting their "right" to board the 30, they are quickly given 2 options; 109 or go away. Managing loads so as to best serve ALL passengers is an essential part of the job for frontline staff and have better things to do then deal with that sort of nonsense.

Demanding a written explanation so they can run to the NTA to defend their right to save 10 minutes, dear god the only response you will get is a shake of the head and another story to amuse the lads about yet another member of the lunatic brigade.

You'll be added to the days' tally of whackos along with the gombeen wanting to bring a dozen live chickens to market on the morning Ballina and the tourist turning up at 10pm expecting to get a bus there and then to the Cliffs Of Moher. Heard it ALL before, demanding written this that and the other along with a threat to go to the manager, NTA, Minister for whatever and your personal friend Enda Kenny. It impresses no one, will get you nowhere and is insulting to all the genuine passengers we get with legitimate issues or problems that more often than not staff go out of their way to sort out.

Oh and for those Virginia and Cavan passengers who feel that they are getting unfair treatment take a look at the other 109 loading at the same time on weekdays going to Navan. Unlike yours this bus goes via Dunshaughlin and takes a longer route around Navan before getting to the main stop at Mercy Convent where most Navan passengers alight.

Despite this being slower than your 109 to which is express from Blanch to Navan, passengers for Navan town are often refused access to your bus to make sure none of YOU are left without a seat. This happens daily at busier times, particularly when a single deck coach is used on the Cavan service.

Oh, and its a good bit cheaper to get the train.
    Currently its €2,075 for an annual bus ticket for Dunshaughlin - Dublin.
    Train from M3 Parkway is €1,420 - and free parking, and you can use the Dart for free (should that be of use to you).

Timetable doesn't suit my work hours at all, its very slow and you need to factor in petrol costs etc. The other disadvantage is I can no longer have the odd drink after work cos my commute would include driving. A flexi ticket would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »

Oh and for those Virginia and Cavan passengers who feel that they are getting unfair treatment take a look at the other 109 loading at the same time on weekdays going to Navan. Unlike yours this bus goes via Dunshaughlin and takes a longer route around Navan before getting to the main stop at Mercy Convent where most Navan passengers alight.

Despite this being slower than your 109 to which is express from Blanch to Navan, passengers for Navan town are often refused access to your bus to make sure none of YOU are left without a seat. This happens daily at busier times, particularly when a single deck coach is used on the Cavan service.

I have already stated that I know that Bus Éireann prioritise Donegal passengers in cases where a 109 to Cavan leaves at the same time. I was not complaining about Donegal passengers getting priority.

The person who started this discussion was, in another thread, suggesting otherwise, that in his/her view that people for Cavan were taking up seats that Donegal passengers could use. It has been shown, by other posters, in the messages here and in another discussion in this forum, that Bus Éireann give priority to Donegal passengers.

What I said was, that it would be unfair - considering the fares from Dublin to Cavan are only a few euros less that the fare from Dublin to Donegal (there is 3.50 euros in the difference between a single fare from Dublin to Cavan and single fare to Donegal and 4.50 euros difference in a return ticket) - to expect Virginia and Cavan passengers to pay more to use the 30 bus service from Bus Aras, which is what the OP was suggesting.

The person who suggested this, did so with the aim of forcing those passengers to use the 109, so the problem of buses filling and passengers getting left behind would become an even greater problem on the 109, rather than it being solved on both services.

Horseburger you are trolling again.

Vic-08 gave you that pretty much the 30 is off bounds at peak times, leaving you the 109 and also stated how it is managed to ensure virginia and cavan passengers get seat on 109.

Now the xpresso in Dublin bus is more expensive to the same place as a normal city route so why not and expressway.

If cavan and virginia paid the higher fare they could not be refused and the full numbers would become clear and BE would be forced to either resolve the problem as regards capacity or inconvience more people.

You think I am trying to be unfair, I am not People should have access to an express bus as possible based on demand, CIE as a company can give very detailed figures on passenger number and ticket sales, but as i said look at venting machine tickets in Busaras for cavan it has R109, the money is linked to that route so you travel route 30, it is still linked to route 109 but you went on the 30. Expressway carried you but the cost was offset route 109.

I prefer to incentive something the (carrot) not the stick, so that's why I looked at this way. like an accountant. Look at your takeaway menu, price for chicken curry say 6 Euro, Chicken Breast Curry 7.50 Euro. In other words you pay a premium for a premium service, you pay for what you get, the faster you want to travel the more you pay.

Now before you hit the roof I people do not want to pay that's not a problem either you can maintain the current situation where by you travel a peak periods you will still be on the slow bus to china, I thinks that not satisfactory either so i change tactics and said how can you make 109 work for everyone's benefit!

I like to keep all people happy, but you can not do that but I would settle for the majority, but as i see it the current situation does not do that either. I looked for ways to change you went and dug your heels in and still are to a lesser degree! Cheer up and look to improve things, the only constant in life is change, there can always be a better way.

Vic-08 gave you that pretty much the 30 is off bounds at peak times, leaving you the 109 and also stated how it is managed to ensure virginia and cavan passengers get seat on 109.

Now the xpresso in Dublin bus is more expensive to the same place as a normal city route so why not expressway.

If cavan and virginia paid the higher fare they could not be refused and the full numbers would become clear and BE would be forced to either resolve the problem as regards capacity or inconvience more people (enough compaints and that would push things to be changed .

You think I am trying to be unfair, I am not People should have access to an express bus as possible based on demand, CIE as a company can give very detailed figures on passenger number and ticket sales, but as i said look at venting machine tickets in Busaras for cavan it has R109, the money is linked to that route so you travel route 30, it is still linked to route 109 but you went on the 30. Expressway carried you but the cost was offset route 109.

I prefer to incentive something the (carrot) not the stick, so that's why I looked at this way. like an accountant. Look at your takeaway menu, price for chicken curry say 6 Euro, Chicken Breast Curry 7.50 Euro. In other words you pay a premium for a premium service, you pay for what you get, the faster you want to travel the more you pay.

Now before you hit the roof I people do not want to pay that's not a problem either you can maintain the current situation where by you travel a peak periods you will still be on the slow bus to china, I thinks that not satisfactory either so i change tactics and said how can you make 109 work for everyone's benefit!

I like to keep all people happy, but you can not do that but I would settle for the majority, but as i see it the current situation does not do that either. I looked for ways to change you went and dug your heels in and still are to a lesser degree! Cheer up and look to improve things, the only constant in life is change, there can always be a better way.

Now the xpresso in Dublin bus is more expensive to the same place as a normal city route so why not and expressway.

If cavan and virginia paid the higher fare they could not be refused and the full numbers would become clear and BE would be forced to either resolve the problem as regards capacity or inconvience more people.

No, I am not trolling.

Again by accusing me of trolling, you have proved once more, that you only wanted people to reply to both threads, who were in agreement with you.

As you well know, what I was stating was, that your idea of charging people more to use one service, to force them use another, is only moving the problem of buses filling and people being left behind, onto another service.

You also know very well, that what I said was unfair, was the idea of charging people more to use a service from Bus Aras to Cavan on the 30 bus.

What then, if the 30 bus picked up at the airport and left other passengers for Cavan behind, despite already having Cavan passengers on the bus, who got on at Bus Aras, by paying more.

You would then be in a situation - in cases where buses fill - where Bus Éireann are treating passengers heading to the same town totally differently on the same bus because of the fare they are paying.

By your logic, if a passenger for Cavan at the airport were to argue that if they paid a higher price than their normal fare, they could argue that because they are paying pretty much equal to what Donegal passengers pay, that they should get priority over Donegal passengers.

With regard to your comment about the vending machines, the same argument could be made of Cavan passengers paying for a return ticket on the 30 bus from Cavan or Virginia to the airport or Dublin City Centre, that their money goes towards the 30 service. That is why I made the point before that considering that Cavan is a drop off and pick up service in both directions on the 30 bus, that Cavan and Virginia passengers contribute to the 30 service.

No, I am not trolling.

Again by accusing me of trolling, you have proved once more, that you only wanted people to reply to both threads who were in agreement with you.

As you well know, what I was stating was, that your idea of charging people more to use one service, to force them use another is only moving the problem of buses filling and people being left behind, onto another service.

You also know very well that what I said was unfair, was the idea of charging people more to use a service from Bus Aras to Cavan on the 30 bus.

What then, if the 30 bus picked up at the airport and left other passengers for Cavan behind, despite already having Cavan passengers on the bus, who got on at Bus Aras by paying more.

You would then be in a situation - in cases where buses fill - where Bus Éireann are treating passengers heading to the same town totally differently on the same bus because of the fare they are paying.

By your logic, if a passenger for Cavan at the airport were to argue that if they paid a higher price than their normal fare, they could argue that because they are paying pretty much equal to what Donegal passengers pay, that they should get priority over Donegal passengers.

With regard to your comment about the vending machines, the same argument could be made of Cavan passengers paying for a return ticket on the 30 bus from Cavan or Virginia to the airport or Dublin City Centre, that their money goes towards the 30 service. That is why I made the point before that considering that Cavan is a drop off and pick up service in both directions on the 30 bus, that Cavan and Virginia passengers contribute to the 30 service.

You are simply arguing a point not trying so look for a solution, may i wish you a very long and many trips on the 109 as it really is all you deserve and I honestly have better things to do with my time. You have very little indeed to do than, to keep going over a point, it solves nothing, build a bride and get over your Complex of entitlement.

You are simply arguing a point not trying so look for a solution, may i wish you a very long and many trips on the 109 as it really is all you deserve and I honestly have better things to do with my time. You have very little indeed to do than, to keep going over a point, it solves nothing, build a bride and get over your Complex of entitlement.

It was a point that you made, that has since been disproved.

You can't seriously expect me to consider that your concern for all the passengers, of the various different bus services, is in any way sincere, when you reply with an ignorant response like this?

• Advertisement

It was a point that you made, that has since been disproved.

You can't seriously expect me to consider that your concern for all the passengers, of the various different bus services, is in any way sincere, when you reply with an ignorant response like this?

WHAT POINT DID YOU DISPROVE???????????

Another point on the 109 route is the ticketing situation. Currently I believe the "internet ticket" gives students the cheapest option for purchasing tickets. This results in a huge delay especially on Mondays with processing these tickets. An option to purchase off the bus is great but the current one only adds to the hassle for everyone.

BE needs to encourage the use of Leap and Annual tickets and offer students a way to use either or another option to avoid delays buying tickets on the route.

WHAT POINT DID YOU DISPROVE???????????

Stop shouting, get over yourself.

I didn't say I disproved it.

Your first argument, that Cavan passengers at Bus Aras and at the airport are taking up space - for which you say Donegal passengers should be given priority at Bus Aras, despite Bus Éireann already stating this on the 30 bus pdf timetable - has been disproved.

Various other posters here and in other threads have shown that Cavan passengers are asked to use the 109 at Bus Aras in cases where the 30 bus fills up when there is a 109 at the same time.

Cavan passengers who posted here have also been asked to wait for another service at the airport to allow Donegal passengers use the 30 bus they had hoped to get.

Stop shouting, get over yourself.

I didn't say I disproved it.

Your first argument, that Cavan passengers at Bus Aras and at the airport are taking up space - for which you say Donegal passengers should be given priority at Bus Aras, despite Bus Éireann already stating this on the 30 bus pdf timetable - has been disproved.

Various other posters here and in other threads have shown that Cavan passengers are asked to use the 109 at Bus Aras in cases where the 30 bus fills up when there is a 109 at the same time.

Cavan passengers who posted here have also been asked to wait for another service at the airport to allow Donegal passengers use the 30 bus they had hoped to get.

The last point there I do not believe not believe virginia and cavan passengers should be prioritised at the airport unless there is a good alternative and 109A and 109 is not it could be slower than the next 30.

The point i have made repeatedly is Boarding the 30 in busaras is a nightmare as you can not tell how many will be at the airport. Correct? If you take passengers from the city you can not offload them so thats the situation, now I have never said i would not want to be on the 109 to cavan in its current form. Thats why it should be improved but if you look at the other tread you see councillors want it (every bus) to serve more places, as I set up earlier there are ways to try to provide all users with a better service.

I was on the 30 coming come and we got to Virginia running a bit late and behind the 109 by a few minutes good few got on at cavan for airport and bus only had two seats, arrived at virginia and 1 got off but 5 waiting, airport passengers only, 1 passenger told they should have the bus ahead, passenger said but this bus is faster, they let 109 go and had to wait the hour. the justification was the 109 serves the city and only 30 serves the airport, airport is priority. Driver spoke nicely to her but she could not understand the situation. Have seen it happen in Cavan too!

Its generally the buses from 0930-1930 that are capacity critical. The passenger numbers just can not be predicted!

As regards the loading notice on the timetable, that is just a gentle way of advising passengers the terms and conditions remain the rules, so as for foggy lad just pick up a copy, all tickets are issued subject to terms and conditions. I am very bad at reading them, I have never read a copy of ryanairs but have ticked the box enough!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Everybody -- relax a bit, read the charter if you have not done so recently and stop the personal attacks and back seat modding.

• Advertisement

It would help if the buses actually turned up. Again this morning no 7:55 or 8:10 for Dunshaughlin. Bus passed at 8:20 full leaving a lot of angry passrngers behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

tara83 wrote: »
    Another point on the 109 route is the ticketing situation. Currently I believe the "internet ticket" gives students the cheapest option for purchasing tickets. This results in a huge delay especially on Mondays with processing these tickets. An option to purchase off the bus is great but the current one only adds to the hassle for everyone.

BE needs to encourage the use of Leap and Annual tickets and offer students a way to use either or another option to avoid delays buying tickets on the route.

If they could do this for all their commuter routes it would speed up all the morning buses!
    As I know the 111 from Trim has a fair few students using it in the morning. The internet ticket is about 2€ cheaper plus every eleventh one you buy you get free.
    The leap ticket does give unlimited journeys for 7 days but most students only need the bus 4-5 days.

If they could implement some rewards program for leap I'm sure its usage would improve greatly.

I asked a driver recently about the internet tickets verses leap. His option was internet was earlier till bus eireann removed the need to print the ticket, since this due to ticket machine problems they are slower as driver need to keep a list of the ticket and value him/her self.
    Leap needs to be speed thinks up and reduce driver interaction, and as others have said the ticket machines are not up to the just.

Drivers still think cash fares are quicker to load, I would personally agree with that but it will change as we get other elements right!

Advertisement