Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issued a fine - question about appealing

Options
  • 16-11-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all
    got isssued a fine because I jumped on the train and there was no one in the station even tjough I planned to pay in Connolly.If I buy the ticket and scan it and attach it to the email would that help in my appeal being successful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

What do you mean " if "? surely you have intended to buy the ticket all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Menelaun wrote: »
    Hi all
    got isssued a fine because I jumped on the train and there was no one in the station even tjough I planned to pay in Connolly.If I buy the ticket and scan it and attach it to the email would that help in my appeal being successful?

Doubt it. That would be the same as being fined for not having car tax and then buying it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Hi all
    got isssued a fine because I jumped on the train and there was no one in the station even tjough I planned to pay in Connolly.

Were the ticket machines not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hi all

The only scenario in which you would have a case is if there was no way to buy a ticket at the station at which you boarded, either from the booking office or a ticket vending machine (TVM).

The basic rule is - you must purchase a ticket before you travel, where facilities are provided to do so (in other words from the booking office or TVM).

If you don't do so when such facilities are provided, then you're liable for a standard fare penalty. It is only where such facilities are not available, such as closed booking office and TVMs out of order, that you can travel without a ticket and pay at the destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds to me like he didn't even look for a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

dazberry wrote: »
    Were the ticket machines not working?
    only one there and there was 5 people on it at the time Ive done this before and always always pay I hate ot paying for things but I couldnt be late

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

only one there and there was 5 people on it at the time Ive done this before and always always pay I hate ot paying for things but I couldnt be late

Well then I'm afraid, you're at fault - you've got to pay the standard fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi all

No.

Ah bølløcks.Just my luck this week anyway.Wonder how Irish rail will respond when I tell them that I cant pay.The joys of being a penniless grantless student :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

'I spent about 70 quid in the steam sale so I have 130 to spend on some headphones now =/'

Your post.....you are hardly penniless !!!

• Advertisement

eejoynt wrote: »
    'I spent about 70 quid in the steam sale so I have 130 to spend on some headphones now =/'

Your post.....you are hardly penniless !!!
    That was before I began paying for college.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah bølløcks.Just my luck this week anyway.Wonder how Irish rail will respond when I tell them that I cant pay.The joys of being a penniless grantless student :(

It's got nothing to do with you being a penniless, grantless student & everything to do with you getting their 5 minutes earlier, to give yourself time to buy a ticket.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with you being a penniless, grantless student & everything to do with you getting their 5 minutes earlier, to give yourself time to buy a ticket.
    Exactly wont be making that same mistake twice decided against appealing just pay the fine and get on with it my mistake at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Wonder how Irish rail will respond when I tell them that I cant pay.

They'll give you the option of finding out how the judge will respond when you tell the court than you can't pay :)

Advertisement