Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just an update on a previous story.

Options
  • 07-10-2010 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

Just an update (for those interested) on a previous story which I can't find at the moment.

Back in April, there was a ridiculous case in Maryland, USA, where an off-duty cop pulled a gun on a motorcyclist, and the whole thing was uploaded on YouTube. While the guy on the motorcycle probably was speeding, the cops later charged him with illegal wiretapping, because he posted the video with audio on YouTube. Through a very twisted interpretation of wiretapping laws, the police and courts have been claiming that any audio recording of police -- even in public places -- can violate wiretap laws.

Thankfully, in that case in Maryland, a judge has tossed out the wiretapping claims pointing out that there was no expectation of privacy out in public.
    "Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public," the judge wrote. "When we exercise that power in public fora, we should not expect our actions to be shielded from public observation."
    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/09/motorcyclist_wins_taping_case.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

gin before higgins... ah crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Cops keep cameras in their vehicles too, are they guilty of wire-tapping? Foolish cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

hmmm what's wire tapping? I thought that had something to do with phones:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

poisonated wrote: »
    hmmm what's wire tapping? I thought that had something to do with phones:o
    I think they tried to use part of their wire tapping laws to claim that a person (in this case a cop) could not be recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Biggins has the sexiest sig I have ever seen.....:cool:

Advertisement