Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any mechanicy types around?

Options
  • 22-06-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I've just bought a 06 2.0 TDCi Focus titanium and I'm a bit worried about something. When I put the foot down to accelerate quickly, a whining noise appears, and as soon as I ease off the pedal it disappears. It's as if another pump kicks to aid the acceleration, but it doesnt sound that healthy, it is really quite loud.

Is this normal for these engines, as I know the red i engine has a different type of turbo set up.

Any help appreciated! Cheers lads!

P.S Is it possible to retro fit cruise control to this model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Could simple be the turbo. Not sure about cruise control but i dought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like a bad turbo. Get it checked out quick

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

mickdw wrote: »
    Sounds like a bad turbo. Get it checked out quick

Thats what I was worried about. I've had it less than a week so any dodgyness and they'll be getting it back.

Warranty will cover the turbo though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say yes. What month in 2006 is the car? It may still be under factory warranty, AFAIK Ford were giving 2 years in 2006.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd say yes. What month in 2006 is the car? It may still be under factory warranty, AFAIK Ford were giving 2 years in 2006.

I think it's just out of the Ford warranty unfortunately. I got 6 months with the dealer though. He's taking it back to go to a Ford garage to fit a control module, so I'll get them to check the turbo while they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Turbo spooling up should be a faint whistle. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

something sililar happened mine. check the undeside of the bonnet for smuts. then see where it corresponds on the engine. what happened mine was that the metal pipe feeding the turbo was cracked. . they replaced the pipe noise dissapeared.

i did this by hitting a flood and smash up radiator and all. but the pipe was damaged and its mounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Turbo spooling up should be a faint whistle. Nothing more.

Should you really hear this under normal driving conditions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

not noramlly but with crack in the intake i did.

i know you can hear it on jeeps and things with bigger turbos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fordfocus1

danyosan wrote: »
    I've just bought a 06 2.0 TDCi Focus titanium and I'm a bit worried about something. When I put the foot down to accelerate quickly, a whining noise appears, and as soon as I ease off the pedal it disappears. It's as if another pump kicks to aid the acceleration, but it doesnt sound that healthy, it is really quite loud.

Is this normal for these engines, as I know the red i engine has a different type of turbo set up.

Any help appreciated! Cheers lads!

P.S Is it possible to retro fit cruise control to this model?

danyosan, did you manage to get the retro fit cruise control? I'm looking into this and any info would be great... had the same problem with the turbo too, cracked pipe at the front of the engine

• Advertisement

fordfocus1 wrote: »
    danyosan, did you manage to get the retro fit cruise control? I'm looking into this and any info would be great... had the same problem with the turbo too, cracked pipe at the front of the engine

I havent found out yet, going to look more into it next week, I'll let you know what I find out.

Seems it was a cracked pipe for me as well, been sorted now, just waiting for a new controller box to be fitted now and I'll be ready to roll.

Advertisement