Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance payout?!

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

The gf crashed her car a week or 2 ago, which ended up as a write-off - the insurance company are to post out the settlement amount to her tomorrow (not the actual payment, just the figure) Is there any negotiation with the amount they give you?
    I was talking to a lad in work today and he said to start giving out or blagging them if they offered you a crappy figure. The broker rang the gf today to tell her that the settlement quote was being sent out, but the gf was wondering if the broker was too chicken to give her the figure over the phone!
    Anyone any advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The gf crashed her car a week or 2 ago, which ended up as a write-off - the insurance company are to post out the settlement amount to her tomorrow (not the actual payment, just the figure) Is there any negotiation with the amount they give you?
    The short answer is YES. When my 2001 Subaru Forester was written off, FBD offered me €8,000 over the phone. Later that afternoon, we finally agreed on a figure of €10,200. Start off by calling a few dealers to get an idea of the replacement cost of that exact car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks, were they hard to bargain with?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

get at least three quotes for replacements or repairs, and use them to haggle. Most claim payouts have a limit for the payout, and the first figure they give you will be about half.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Start off by calling a few dealers to get an idea of the replacement cost of that exact car.

By this, do you mean what it would cost to buy it off them or how much they'd give you on a trade in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It was kind of like a long game of chess.
    By this, do you mean what it would cost to buy it off them or how much they'd give you on a trade in?!
    You're entitled to the replacement cost of your car, ie how much it would cost you to buy another one.

• Advertisement

I was having a chat to one of the salesmen where I work, he said the book value of it would be 7-7.5k and it'd be on the forecourt for about 1k extra.
    She got the quote for the amount she'd be getting - 7.5k
    Is there any point argueing for any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Chance your arm and ask for another 1k, you might get him to go another €500, all's he can say is no.

Advertisement