Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 30-04-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm a hobbyist programmer. Mainly VB6. Used to use it alot. But then with the Leaving Cert and that didnt have a lot of time and just didnt bother.

Now that I have regained alot of free time, i'm looking for something to do with it. I'd love to learn another programming language or possibly expand into web.

Basically what i wanted to know is where should i start?
    What would be the best option for a new language?
    Where to get ideas for programs to code?

Thanks for any help at all. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Seeing as you're familiar with Microsoft you may be interested in C#? There's loads of books out there, loads of resources on the web and if I'm not mistaken online Fás courses too.

Of course there's always Java, which is very similar to C# but with skills that are a lot more portable outside of Microsoft. Again loads of resources. Once you know Java learning C# shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'd reccomend you learn java first. If you go for C# you'll probably end up using visual studio - if its a learning experience that will be the end of it. You'll end up making half baked applications with no strcuture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

deffinatly c#, its becoming the industry standard

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

damnyanks wrote:
    If you go for C# you'll probably end up using visual studio - if its a learning experience that will be the end of it. You'll end up making half baked applications with no strcuture :)

And what do you think the OP will have done with VB6?

VS is remarkably similar in use to the VB6 IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

c#
    xna is a games development framework based on the .net framework (it uses the .net framework) which uses c#. I think it would be a good way for the hobbyist to learn c#, because making a game would probably hold your attention more than making other apps.
    That's what I'm going to do anyway - I use vb.net in my job, which can do the same things as c# pretty much, but is not used as widely and c# developers tend to get more credibility than c# ones, and command higher rates of pay. This is probably because c# developers are more likely to come from an object oriented background, since c# is so similar to java. VB.Net developers are more likely to come from a function-oriented background, and have migrated from vb.
    As stated, c# and java are very similar so if you learn one you should be able to pick up the other one quickly.
    vb.net is used in banks quite often afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

As you say you are a hobbyist you are better off learning Java, as you don't need any licences or anything else with java. You can get IDEs, application servers, databases, etc all for free which work with java.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd be inclinded to go to say Java to pick up the basics.... ( once you've got the hang of Java changing over to C# will be fairly easy ).

I just started working in Java this year, and i couldn't believe how easy it is... for example you mentioned you want to start doing some networking, if on a server application you want to wait on connections to a particular port all you have to do is:-
    Socket mySocket = new ServerSocket(5000); // create a socket
    while(1){
    clientSocket = mySocket.accept(); // wait for connections
    }

Download the Sun Net Beans IDE, it's not bad...

Once you get the hang of writting Java GUI's, you can very easily make applets which will run in a browser...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd be inclinded to go to say Java to pick up the basics.... ( once you've got the hang of Java changing over to C# will be fairly easy ).

The two are so similar, there's little point. Why not just learn C# straight up?

for example you mentioned you want to start doing some networking, if on a server application you want to wait on connections to a particular port all you have to do is:-
    Socket mySocket = new ServerSocket(5000); // create a socket
    while(1){
    clientSocket = mySocket.accept(); // wait for connections
    }
    And the c# code would be, in your opinion, more complex? If so, then C# isn't as similar as you suggest. If not, then this doesn't give Java an edge over C#.

Advertisement