Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant visit my 73 yr old Mother,because she doesnt own a car-Dublin City council

Options
  • 23-07-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi .my name is <SNIP>, Im 50 in August and Unfortunately My 73 year old mother has been treated disgracefully by Dublin City Council. My health has been deteriorating rapidly as my hands are almost always very sore from Diabetic neuropathy, carpel tunnel syndrome, Arthritis and fortunately the worst thing 'depression" has lifted after approx.15 years so its not all doom and gloom,..........My Mam, <SNIP> is being completely isolated by Dublin City Council.But how can they do that?? I hear you ask,...Well,.

She lives in <SNIP>,and apart from being no where near a shop(and to get to that it would be like climbing mount everest at her age) However there is a space underground a 6 by 4 parking space with 17 painted on it,...so you would now be wondering whats the problem,well,because she does not drive ,"I mean because she does not own a car."she is not permitted use of the carparking facilities,hence,ss not allowed have anybody visit and so she has been very isolated from her family,she has had use of the parking next door in the John of Gods up to approx 12 months ago but now there is nowhere.Some of the tenants have fobs but dont have cars and to me thats discrimination,apparently because they gave up there houses they get preferential treatment.I am asking is there anybody who can give me advice,any help at all,...my brother had a heart attack last year and has chronic leg pain.I feel like her basic Human Rights are being violated in a terrible way,I mean even mass murderers get a visitor,she is a lady who doesnt like causing a fuss but me!!!,well I will ca use a fuss everyday till <SNIP> wishes he had as much compassion as he does EGO..........does anybody out there have any advice for me cos Im ready to cause unnecessary havoc to stand up for an elderly lady who is "my mother,"...............#MEMORIALCOURTPENSIONERS #HUMANRIGHTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Hi Caroline, I can't offer any advice on you're situation but if she were my mother I wouldn't be putting her address and age up considering her vulnerability on a public forum. Hope you can find a solution to this because people shouldn't be isolated in there latter years.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Caroline, have you spoke to the Council yourself about her situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Admin Edit: This thread was brought to our attention as a matter of urgency.... Personal info removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, I can understand your annoyance, but I think you have to approach this in an organised way. Go into the council offices that deal with your mother's apartment and calmly ask if your mother can have a key fob for the parking space relating to her appartment.

The secret is, initially at least, to keep absolutely to the point. Don't bring your ill health, or your brother's ill health into the discussion at least at the start. Don't lose your temper or accuse anyone of isolating her - again, at least at this stage. Just state quietly and calmly that she has a parking place attached to her apartment, that you understand that she should have a key fob for it. Don't go into whether or not she has a car, just ask for the fob on her behalf, or at least ask for an application form. You may be able to sort it as easily as that.

If this fails, then you might have to look for assistance, maybe talk to Citizens Advice, or Social Services, but try the simple route first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you've exhausted the Council's complaints process, you can then refer the case to the Ombudsman for an independent ruling. It can also help to get some local Councillor(s) involved in issues like this. Sometimes they can help in accessing the right people in the Council.

I have to confess that I'm a bit confused as to why visiting is completely dependent on access to parking. Is there any other parking within walking distance? Or any park-and-ride options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 carzey3

Thank you to the people who have taken time to read and respond to my post,I understand that bringing my mams issues onto boards may seem a bit hasty. But,,I have spoken to the Council ,and my Mam spoke to the social worker who seemed very
    confused as she said " how have you no access to the carpark? This is my last port of call as when I tried
    to speak to anybody in DCC as soon as I mentioned <snip> they all shut down.
    And to answer Rainy Day,.
    Where my Mam lives is very near the end of the SCR and I live in Bohernabreena so its an awkward journey anyway,and if I could I'd get 2 buses down and back but it is health related in both my mams and myselfs case.I wouldn't make such a fuss if it was as easily sorted as you seem to think.
    However,DCC seem to have got my post edited and snip,d,I just received an email saying that it will be addressed in 4-6 weeks in a meeting due to the amount of people complaining.....Next step a sandwich ,flasf of tea and a Very Large poster and off to peacefully protest at the DCC offices,at least I still have the right to free speech,...Un-edited...
    <snip>

carzey3 wrote: »
    However,DCC seem to have got my post edited
    This is nonsense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RainyDay wrote: »
    If you've exhausted the Council's complaints process, you can then refer the case to the Ombudsman for an independent ruling. It can also help to get some local Councillor(s) involved in issues like this. Sometimes they can help in accessing the right people in the Council.

I have to confess that I'm a bit confused as to why visiting is completely dependent on access to parking. Is there any other parking within walking distance? Or any park-and-ride options?

I read the ops original unedited post
    there is normal pay and display parking in the area along with a private car park

Ops isssue seems to be that she wants to use the space she believes her mother is entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm confused, is she living in a council flat? What does the rental agreement say regarding parking?

Would taxis be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod post: Your posts have been edited by Boards mods and admins (Not DCC) as you posted personal information - names, address etc - please do not use actual names when posting.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I read the ops original unedited post
    there is normal pay and display parking in the area along with a private car park

Ops isssue seems to be that she wants to use the space she believes her mother is entitled to

I don't know anything about the particular development, but if the resident doesn't have a car, it makes perfect sense that management would make other arrangements to use this facility and not keep it vacant solely for an occasional visitor. It also makes perfect sense that the management would make parking available for an occasional visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Morning & thanks to the Mods for removing my name in the 1st Post about this issue. I do not want to get into an in depth discussion on boards about this issue. However, I felt it important that I would detail below some background and the current up to date position, as I am the DCC Officer working on this issue.

I refer to your email regarding parking in (Complex).

Since this complex opened in May 2007, parking in the complex has been restricted to residents who own a motor vehicle. It is clear to me that there is a demand for visitor parking in the complex due to the volume of requests that I receive on a weekly/monthly basis. The numbers on the car park spaces do not correspond with the apartment numbers. There is only 42 car spaces in the complex with 66 apartments.

No tenant is allocated a car park space number when signing their tenancy agreement with Dublin City Council. The new resident would produce documentation and would be given access to the car park with a zapper and is free to park in any space.

I have commenced a review of the parking arrangements and outline below the scope of my review;

Identifying number of car owners in the complex.
    Liaising with parking enforcement companies to ascertain their recommendations.
    Liaising with Resident’s Committee, as this issue is a topic at every meeting.
    Collating all comments, observations and reports.

I hope to have this review completed in the next 4/6 weeks. A decision will then be made by Dublin City Council on whether visitor parking will be made available for everyone in the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 carzey3

I just would like to ask DCC to make sure that this meeting does include the fact that the road this complex is on is extremely dangerous,certain times o the day i t can be difficult to be able to stop safely when we are picking up or dropping off my Mam..
    Also the pay and display is always full because of the tourist type area and the hotel. My Mam gets a bus to buy her milk and bread because of the four lane junction she would have to cross,,she can't.My Mam is so upset she is vulnerable enough,and she's only there over a year. When she viewed the guy said visitors can use the J of Gods next door and that was perfectly fine,there was 4 parking places and it was a short enough walk to the complex,...but unfortunately this arrangement has ceased and there in a nutshell is the problem, she would not have taken this appt with no certainly a person visiting may not be able to avail of patking,.... ?After all these are older residents(hence 44 spaces for 66) the very people we are reminded of the need fto look out for and check in on because of there vulnerability to isolation........ So I will have to get back to anyone who is interested in 4-6 weeks to let you know if anything changes,.. Remember,.. We can all count on old age,....The by far most ridiculous thing is ,.I could get my mam a car,a cheap banger and they would have to give her a fob/zapper ,...arid full use of the carpark facilities!!!
    I love my Mam and I know I would not have had any help( ,as I did try,...)from. DCC,it took coming on boards to get some attention to my Mothers situation, and I would like to thank the mods and the people who posted for there help.Sincerely ,©aroline Halpin

ðŸºðŸ¸

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

carzey3 wrote: »
    I just would like to ask DCC to make sure that this meeting does include the fact that the road this complex is on is extremely dangerous,certain times o the day i t can be difficult to be able to stop safely when we are picking up or dropping off my Mam..
    Also the pay and display is always full because of the tourist type area and the hotel. My Mam gets a bus to buy her milk and bread because of the four lane junction she would have to cross,,she can't.My Mam is so upset she is vulnerable enough,and she's only there over a year. When she viewed the guy said visitors can use the J of Gods next door and that was period,... That is the problem, she would not have taken appt with no certainly a person visiting may not be able to ?

Use the hotel carpark? I have meetings there regularly and have never had a problem getting a space there. It's the same price as the pay and display parking.

As for stopping safely to pick up your mother are you talking about stopping somewhere on the road that is not a parking space?
    That's unsafe full stop anywhere.

Seriously, until the review, use the hotel carpark, take your mother grocery shopping once a week so she doesn't have to cross this four lane junction to get milk and bread, and park in the hotel when you visit.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the particular development, but if the resident doesn't have a car, it makes perfect sense that management would make other arrangements to use this facility and not keep it vacant solely for an occasional visitor. It also makes perfect sense that the management would make parking available for an occasional visitor.

There are less spaces than there are apartments, so they are limited in how they allocate them

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Put your car in your mother's name? While she would not drive one, does that also mean she can't own one?

Advertisement