Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Eu travel

• 19-09-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a EU citizen and my partner is a non-EU citizen (Chile) living in Ireland. We have applied for a residence card for my partner to stay in Dublin.

The residence card application is currently being processed.

Does anyone know, can we leave Ireland to go on holiday whilst the application is being processed?

Thanks, PJ4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

PJ4 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a EU citizen and my partner is a non-EU citizen (Chile) living in Ireland. We have applied for a residence card for my partner to stay in Dublin.

The residence card application is currently being processed.

Does anyone know, can we leave Ireland to go on holiday whilst the application is being processed?

Thanks, PJ4

Working backwards.
    EU countries do issue Travel Documents to residents that are non-EU Citizens.

In Ireland, Irish Natuaralisation and Immigration Service (INIS) part of DEpt. of Justice, Equality and Law Reform issue these documents.

INIS: Travel Documents
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Application_for_a_Travel_Document

"....Who is entitled to an Irish travel document?
    The State (Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service) is obliged to issue travel documents to persons granted protection in accordance with:

The 1951 UN Convention relating to the Status of Refugees (Article 28) and The Refugee Act, 1996 (Article 4)
    The 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons (Article 28)
    The European Communities (Eligibility for Protection) Regulations 2006 (SI 518 of 2006)

There is also provision to grant travel documents to persons/dependents of those granted protection in accordance with:

Section 18 (6) of the Refugee Act, 1996
    Section 16 of the European Communities (Eligibility for Protection) Regulations 2006
    Programme refugees who are on the Department of Foreign Affairs list of persons who qualify for such a document can apply for travel documents in accordance with Section 24 of the Refugee Act, 1996

Do I need a visa to re-enter the State?
    Holders of Irish travel documents issued under the 1951 Geneva Convention do not require an Irish re- entry visa to re-enter the State. A "Visa" may however be required to enter some other countries. The onus is on the travel document holder to contact the Embassy/High Commission of the country he/she intends to visit to find out if an entry visa is required.

Alternative travel document holders may require re-entry visas to re-enter the State. Further details can be obtained from the Visa Section of the INIS website and/or from "visamail@justice.ie".
    Alternative Travel Document
    Validity of all Travel Documents in this category will be restricted to generally coincide with the expiry date of your Certificate of Registration (GNIB Card) "

So your partner may apply for a Travel Document after they receive a Certificate of Registration (GNIB Card - Garda National Immigration Bureau). The issue of Travel Documents will be based on the reasons for the issue of the GNIB Card.

Until that time your partner may travel on the Chilean Government issued Chile Passport. Including the restrictions based on that documentation (incld. date of issue).

The good news is that Chile Passport holders may travel a good-deal of the World visa-free.
    Wikipedia (apologies, as usual the wik-page puts alot of info on one page. But check each relevant fact individually).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Chilean_citizens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

If she can get a visa on arrival in Ireland or is not a visa required national for Ireland (i.e does not need a visa to enter the country) then she can travel out of Ireland and return. It is only an issue if she needs a re-entry visa for Ireland.

However you should inform immigration that you will be out of the country for a period. They specify this in a few places on their websites. If in doubt, drop them an email to confirm and then keep a print out of the email in case there is ever a future issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

She has been on a student visa for three years, but this year the visa was rejected. So we have applied for a residence card as we live together. Her GNIB card expired August 21, 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johanny

I am from pakistan and i have an irish travel documents (1951 geneva convention). i want to know in which countries am able to travel without a visa or visa free countries.

Advertisement