Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking-in online with AerLingus

Options
  • 20-02-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

This is going to make me look like such a dunce but here goes..

I booked a holiday today and we're flying with AerLingus. (It's in August)
    The travel agent said we will have to check in online instead of at the airport.

Herein lies the confusion; like I said, it makes me look thick, but I've never actually checked in online before, so I'm very confused.

AerLingus sent me an email today, confirming the flight, and there is a button leading to the CHECK-IN page, which I obviously didn't click as I'm not going to be checking in until August (obviously!).

What I'm wondering is...is it straight forward?
    Without being able to go ahead to the check-in page to have a look, I'd like to know what is involved in the process of checking-in online as I'm one of those people who gets flustered easily.

Is it simple?
    What will I have to print off?
    Do you check-in for your departure AND return at the same time?

I'm sorry, I know these sound like stupid questions but it's all new to me!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You won't have to check in at all online if you don't want to- you can checkin at the airport either, Aer Lingus do not charge any extra for this and you are not under any obligation to checkin online.

Anyway, if you do decide to checkin online its straightforward, just a case of inputting some simple details and printing off the boarding passes. If the return flight is within 30 days of the date you checkin online then you can print those boarding passes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You won't have to check in at all online if you don't want to- you can checkin at the airport either, Aer Lingus do not charge any extra for this and you are not under any obligation to checkin online.

Anyway, if you do decide to checkin online its straightforward, just a case of inputting some simple details and printing off the boarding passes. If the return flight is within 30 days of the date you checkin online then you can print those boarding passes also.

Thanks so much for your reply, that does sound straight forward.
    I notice, too, that I have to provide AerLingus with something called API (Advanced Passenger Information).

When should I do this?
    Is it too early to do that now?

Regarding checking-in, the travel agent told me I "had to check in online for all airlines", but like you said, I don't think that's right.
    I know with Ryanair you have to, but I was certain that wasn't compulsory with AerLingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fussyonion wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your reply, that does sound straight forward.
    I notice, too, that I have to provide AerLingus with something called API (Advanced Passenger Information).

Where are you flying to ? You need to provide API for Spain and the US, don't think any other country requires it.

You have an e-mail from Aer Lingus with a link to check-in, you should do this between 30 hours and 2 hours before the flight in which case you will be able to select your seats for free. Note that it is the custom of Aer Lingus to send out a reminder e-mail a few days before the flight encouraging you to check-in but if you do so when you get that e-mail, you will have to pay for seat selection so don't be panicked into doing the online check-in when you get that e-mail, wait until 30 hours before the flight.

coylemj wrote: »
    Where are you flying to ? You need to provide API for Spain and the US, don't think any other country requires it.

You have an e-mail from Aer Lingus with a link to check-in, you should do this between 30 hours and 2 hours before the flight in which case you will be able to select your seats for free. Note that it is the custom of Aer Lingus to send out a reminder e-mail a few days before the flight encouraging you to check-in but if you do so when you get that e-mail, you will have to pay for seat selection so don't be panicked into doing the online check-in when you get that e-mail, wait until 30 hours before the flight.

I'm flying to Spain.
    I didn't know about the seats being free if booked 30 hours before the flight, thanks for that.
    When selecting seats, I assume I can select aisle seats if I wished, unless they're taken.

So, the API thing...can that be done now or should I wait til nearer the time?
    I know it requires passport info etc...I have all that info ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When selecting seats, I assume I can select aisle seats if I wished, unless they're taken.

Correct.
    So, the API thing...can that be done now or should I wait til nearer the time?
    I know it requires passport info etc...I have all that info ready.

Do the API stuff well in advance to get it out of the way but make sure that all of the passports are current. If anyone needs to renew their passport, wait until that's sorted out, then do all of them in one go.

Click the second tab on the Aer Lingus homepage - 'Manage Booking', then select the option to Add Advance Passenger Information to and/or from the USA/Canada or Spain/Portugal

www.aerlingus.com

• Advertisement

Thank you so much everyone. You've all been so helpful and now I understand what to do :)

Advertisement