Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TF2

Options
  • 01-10-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

OK, bear with this one as I realize it's a) a very kiddie pool sort of question, and b) it gets into lube theology.

What type of lube is TF2? Is it like GT85 and the like, with a very thin propellent or carrier, which penetrates, deposits the teflon as the actual lubrication, and then shags off again? Or is there a significant residual oil-based lubrication component?

I notice it also comes in two forms. Such reviews I've read talks about it as an aerosol-type lube. But what CRC and the like seem to be selling seems like the "oil can" type, instead. Is this the same thing, or is it a thicker/oilier/more viscous thing? How does it compare with the generic Weldite/Lubes "Cycle Oil"? (I choose that as a point of comparison because it's from the same manufacturer, and because I'm on my severalth consecutive bottle of such...)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

there are more than two types

IMG_3447.JPG

TeflonLubeSprayTF2450ml.jpg

i've used the spray, initially on the drivetrain of my mtb, but stopped doing that.

have used the wet lube, don't remember it being particularily bad/good, so it got the job done.

never tried the wax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think that "TF2" refers to use of teflon in the range of products.

I've used the all weather lube and it was no good (washed off in rain and was sticky in dry), while the TF2 bike grease (red) is great for bearings and as anti-seize.

mqWhAfCw1f-xKcfTz-pmS8w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

mossym wrote: »
    there are more than two types
    Valid! I was thinking of the one on the left of the top pic ("Performance (All Weather)") and of course, yer man in the bottom. I'm guessing the "Extreme (Wet)" is further towards the viscous/persistent end of the spectrum. (And the other two are completely different.)
    have used the wet lube, don't remember it being particularily bad/good, so it got the job done.

Grand, thanks.
    Alek wrote: »
    I've used the all weather lube and it was no good (washed off in rain and was sticky in dry), while the TF2 bike grease (red) is great for bearings and as anti-seize.

Huh, no-weather lube! Will take note of the bike grease recommend, but only really actionable once I work out what I'd do with it. Mainly my attitude to anything involving bearings is "Panic! FNBS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

alaimacerc wrote: »
    FNBS!

Friday Night Bible Study?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/FNBS.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

find nearest bike shop i'd guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

mossym wrote: »
    find nearest bike shop i'd guess

I had in mind Friendly Neighbourhood Bike Store, but your gloss on it works even better, in the context!

Advertisement