Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sora to 105...

• 25-09-2014 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading my road bike from shimano sora to shimano 105, 9 speed, are there any parts interchangeable or do I need to start from scratch, any idea of cost and how much a LBS would charge? tyvm,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, 105 is now 10 speed or even 11 speed, so no. To change you'll need new shifters, new cassette, new chain. Brake calipers and the front derailler are the only sora bits that you could still use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, 105 is now 10 speed or even 11 speed, so no. To change you'll need new shifters, new cassette, new chain. Brake calipers and the front derailler are the only sora bits that you could still use.

105 is now 11 speed, good deals on Ribble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭bax4556

waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

bax4556 wrote: »
    waste of time

Wouldn't go that far, at least not without more information. OP, if you are on Sora of a few years ago (with the thumb shifters), and can get 105 at a decent price, I would say go for it if your frame, etc. is any use at all. Unless of course you are looking for performance improvements out of it, which will be minimal.

I did the same for comfort, and much prefer the "second-lever" style of shifter as they can be reached from the drops which makes descending a much nicer experience, rather than having to either stay in one gear at the back, or lift the hand up for each change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I've had bikes with both groupsets at the same time and 105 is definitely an improvement.
    Less fiddling to keep it trimmed, longer lasting, more definite changes - particularly on the front, brakes are a major improvement. Does any of this matter enough to warrant the effort? I would think so if you do long spins. If O.P Goes to either 10 or 11 speed he will be onto a winner.

I'd say install it yourself O.P. just go onto youtube or even Park tools website and follow instructions. There are great deals on oem. Check Merlin Cycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

11 speed 105 is around £300 on Ribble and is a big improvement on the previous 10 speed edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

nak wrote: »
    11 speed 105 is around £300 on Ribble and is a big improvement on the previous 10 speed edition.

Make sure your frame and rear wheel can accept 10 / 11 speed

Edit - if it was me, just a new pair of shifters which will work fine with the remaining sora parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Make sure your frame and rear wheel can accept 10 / 11 speed

Very good point on the rear hub accepting 11 speed!

There's nothing 11 speed specific about frames that I can think of, right? I'm only asking because that good deal in Merlin is really tempting me too now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

Speaking from experience I have just completed upgrading my 8 month old bike from a mix of sora/tiagra to a full 105 set.
    Once you change the shifters you have to change everything else as the 5700 and forward have different cable tension and don't run smoothly with and pre dated gear.

I went the 10 speed 5700 series of last year, I bought the shifters unused from adverts for 100euro and the rear derailleur there also for 25. The rest I got new for ±100 of various websites.

I have done about 200k with the new group set and once i had index the cassettes properly it has been running like a dream, a definite obvious improvement!

As to the point of wether it is worthwhile making the upgrade;
    If I had to pay 400euro for it and then pay a bike shop to fit the group set, I'd have felt it a bit of an unnecessary indulgence. However if you can search around to get the bits cheap and have the noose to fit it yourself, it's worth every penny.

Or you could get a new bike equipped with 105 ;)

Advertisement