Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strava

• 25-05-2014 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I discovered strava yesterday and went for a spin to try it out today.
    I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but it only recorded part of my cycle? As in it didn't start for ages. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Are you using a phone app or dedicated GPS unit? Either way you need to make sure you have acquired GPS satellite position before heading out. And press the start button!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Im using my phone with the android app. Next time i will make sure i have a full signal! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I found the app takes ages to find a satellite. oh and kills your battery.

Mapmyride is a better choice on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

stecleary wrote: »

The app really has nothing to do with acquiring a gps fix. A budget Android phone won't get as good or quick a gps fix as say a Galaxy S4. If using the phone you can also turn off mobile data while out cycling to save battery. Battery won't drain excessively quickly then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As has been mentioned already, just make sure you have acquired GPS signal and it has your location before you start. Then everything should be ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

stecleary wrote: »

I find strava has a gps fix quicker than my garmin. Notice no decrease in battery. Always use more than an s3 though so couldn't comment on anything below that in spec.

I much prefer the social part of strava.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My HTC one gets GPS signal instantly,it's never let me down ,doesn't drain battery much at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

privacy settings ? have you set the privacy zone to hide where you start from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Keeping WiFi on also improved speed to find your location on android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I didn't want to start a new Strava thread so I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this one.

I'm new to Strava and want to use it on my Android phone (using this waterproof case and secure mount http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMKSMT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I was wondering a) if it's possible to import routes other Strava users have done and b) if strava will navigate the route i.e. display the next turns and give verbal instructions out of the speaker a la car/Google navigation?

I only have the FOC version of Strava BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is there consensus on which is better as a phone App: Strava or MayMyRide. I have just got a new wireless Odomoter/Speedometer gadget from <that Chinese site> for my new bike and I'd like to start using a phone App too. I have a new smartphone and battery life is great so far.
    Thanks,
    BM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I don't think there's a consensus really but if you're interested in comparing your efforts to other people or to your previous efforts then Strava is superior in that aspect.

If you don't care about that at all - but you may surprise yourself if you try it - then either is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I didn't want to start a new Strava thread so I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this one.

I'm new to Strava and want to use it on my Android phone (using this waterproof case and secure mount http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JMKSMT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I was wondering a) if it's possible to import routes other Strava users have done and b) if strava will navigate the route i.e. display the next turns and give verbal instructions out of the speaker a la car/Google navigation?

I only have the FOC version of Strava BTW.

I don't use the phone app version of strava much but it does seem to have the functionality you want built in.

http://blog.strava.com/discover-a-new-route-follow-it-from-your-phone-7749/

nilhg wrote: »
    I don't use the phone app version of strava much but it does seem to have the functionality you want built in.

http://blog.strava.com/discover-a-new-route-follow-it-from-your-phone-7749/

That's just the info I was looking for nilhg, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Is there consensus on which is better as a phone App: Strava or MayMyRide. I have just got a new wireless Odomoter/Speedometer gadget from <that Chinese site> for my new bike and I'd like to start using a phone App too. I have a new smartphone and battery life is great so far.
    Thanks,
    BM

You can use both together if you want to do a comparison. The apps run in the background pulling data in from the phone's functionality so will compile the data when you finish the spin in their own way. The pain is you have to start both when you begin the spin but after two or three spins you should be able to make up your mind and stick with one. I also liked a Finnish app called Sportstracker as it had the best looking UI but it was poorly supported so I stuck with Strava. At one point I think I had four apps running together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

DaithiMC wrote: »
    You can use both together if you want to do a comparison. The apps run in the background pulling data in from the phone's functionality so will compile the data when you finish the spin in their own way. The pain is you have to start both when you begin the spin but after two or three spins you should be able to make up your mind and stick with one. I also liked a Finnish app called Sportstracker as it had the best looking UI but it was poorly supported so I stuck with Strava. At one point I think I had four apps running together!

4 apps....a touch of OCD or something??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

There is a real benefit....

For a while my buddy ran a conventional speedo and a Garmin at the same time. Whichever told him he was going faster was more accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

No, CDO - alphabetical order and all that!

I ran them to do a comparison test - I eventually stuck with Strava - the segments feature was compelling, the simplicity of the interface and the social element were also good. I have done a reasonable amount of touring in foreign places this year so having the route generator to allow for turn by turn navigation on the Garmin saved a lot of stopping to look at maps. Now I don't run any apps since I got a Garmin last year and upload or use Garmin connect to upload the spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Has anyone else seen the quality of strava on iphone fall off recently?
    I've gone on several trips in the last month and it misses sections of the spin, or last night it figured out I was stopped almost half the time so it has a moving time of about half the time I was cycling giving an avg speed of 56kmh....

It seems to have gone downhill since the ios8 updates happened.

I've gone on several trips in the last month and it misses sections of the spin, or last night it figured out I was stopped almost half the time so it has a moving time of about half the time I was cycling giving an avg speed of 56kmh....

Could it be a GPS issue with ios8 or are you keeping the phone in thicker pockets or in a heavier cover now the weather has turned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've noticed this while out for a spin with a few lads using iphones, they're setting KOM's with ease. One guy had an average speed of 57kph over 100k. He'd be lucky to get half of that.

I'm not sure if it's just iphones though as I think all gps data off smart phones can go slightly off at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I burst my bollix for a KOM on a long segment....strava didn't register me on the segment even though it showed me on the section of road. Bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Id only turn strava on every now and then. Takes the fun/good out of an exercise.

It has its uses but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I burst my bollix for a KOM on a long segment....strava didn't register me on the segment even though it showed me on the section of road. Bastard.

You can email them and generally they're able to make it pick up the segment that it's missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    You can email them and generally they're able to make it pick up the segment that it's missed.

Why bother?

Who does that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

Id only turn strava on every now and then. Takes the fun/good out of an exercise..
    How so, I'm not sure how an app could take the good out of exercise? Does it make you cycle less or something? Seems strange.

Advertisement