Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Why do you have "charity" thus :confused:

Just cause its no more a charity to me than the baskets being handed around for collections during Mass.
    Already rich organisations collecting from those who often only pay out of misguided senses of guilty or do-goodership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Just cause its no more a charity to me than the baskets being handed around for collections during Mass.
    Already rich organisations collecting from those who often only pay out of misguided senses of guilty or do-goodership.

Nah this is a Scottish charity that works if your ever in Scotland go to Erskine and see the great work they do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

RoryMac wrote: »
    It was a light-hearted dig at Jelle's attempt to start a poppy debate.

Wasn't an attempt to start a poppy debate, just a little fun because we all know the stance of some of your fans towards it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Nah this is a Scottish charity that works if your ever in Scotland go to Erskine and see the great work they do there.
    :pac:

I'm sure they do good work caring for veterans and whatnot, but the question should be asks, why should people feel guilted into providing funds for the car of old soldiers when the British state didn't baulk at providing funds to arm them and send them round the globe to aim rifles at people while they were in their prime?

Ah but sure, I'm only doing now what Jelle had hoped for, so I'll leave it at that. Football for the football threads and all. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I'd sooner help someone in need and not a paid mercenary who signed up for it. Let their government who sent them to war look after them.

• Advertisement

:pac:

I'm sure they do good work caring for veterans and whatnot, but the question should be asks, why should people feel guilted into providing funds for the car of old soldiers when the British state didn't baulk at providing funds to arm them and send them round the globe to aim rifles at people while they were in their prime?

Ah but sure, I'm only doing now what Jelle had hoped for, so I'll leave it at that. Football for the football threads and all. :)

No one is guilted into anything just the same when I go to Mass if I can't afford to put money in the plate I won't or if its a special collection for something I disagree with then I won't same for any charity

I'd sooner help someone in need and not a paid mercenary who signed up for it. Let their government who sent them to war look after them.

Your opinion and your entitled to it no one is holding you down and robbing you

Your opinion and your entitled to it no one is holding you down and robbing you

No I know but you said they do great work, I disagree, just giving my opinion. I hate this hard-on people have for militarism, it's sad.

No I know but you said they do great work, I disagree, just giving my opinion. I hate this hard-on people have for militarism, it's sad.

Where do you get that from I am talking about the work the people do who work with these ex servicemen I am not talking about the armed forces as such

Where do you get that from I am talking about the work the people do who work with these ex servicemen I am not talking about the armed forces as such

You mentioned Erskine. I live in Scotland, I know what they do and I think there are more rewarding charities.

• Advertisement

You mentioned Erskine. I live in Scotland, I know what they do and I think there are more rewarding charities.

Well good for you I lived there for most of my life and I disagree with you that's the way it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

It's a great gesture by Celtic and Charlie Mulgrew. There is no more deserving a charity than the Poppy Day Appeal. Hats off to him. Let's hope certain sections of the Celtic fan base dont give him a hard over it. It would not be deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brewster wrote: »
    It's a great gesture by Celtic and Charlie Mulgrew. There is no more deserving a charity than the Poppy Day Appeal. Hats off to him. Let's hope certain sections of the Celtic fan base dont give him a hard over it. It would not be deserved.

You cant think of any charity at all that might be more deserving????? Why do you care anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Mercenaries? These men signed up and fought for their country. Rightly or wrongly, they weren't the one's making the political decisions, these were the men on the ground, cannon fodder in many cases. Many signed up for various reasons, patriotism, to get off the bread line, or simply for a job, and many fought in wars they didn't agree with, but did so because that's a soldiers job. It's not the top brass that Poppy Scotland are supporting here, the decision makers, it's the ordinary servicemen who've been left high and dry by their Government

I'd don't agree with much of Britain's foreign policy, but as someone who can relate to those who have served, albeit it in our own Defence Forces, I have a massive respect for them. Their Government have failed them, it's not a case of Poppy Scotland supporting them instead of the Government, its a case of Poppy Scotland supporting them instead of noone
    Brewster wrote: »

It would be a disgrace if they did. While many don't agree with the cause, and they're entitled to their opinion, they should respect that of Mulgrew's as they wished their's to be respected
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but I'd rather help starving people in Africa than help retired killers from a disgraced army which has caused so much misery for Ireland.

You'r fully entitled to your opinion, however the Government's of many African countries are guilty of worse then what the British Government could be accused of. Be it a soldier in Scotland or a man in Malawi, both may be in need because of the actions of their Government. I'd be of the opinion that helping members of the local community should be the priority

Mercenaries? These men signed up and fought for their country. Rightly or wrongly, they weren't the one's making the political decisions, these were the men on the ground, cannon fodder in many cases. Many signed up for various reasons, patriotism, to get off the bread line, or simply for a job, and many fought in wars they didn't agree with, but did so because that's a soldiers job. It's not the top brass that Poppy Scotland are supporting here, the decision makers, it's the ordinary servicemen who've been left high and dry by their Government

They fought for their country? When was their country under attack? They fight for their governments interests, if they don't realise that they're idiots. Cannon fodder, you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, that's their jobs and they usually do it by making life difficult for the locals. They're not a very nice bunch, 'thugs in uniform' if you will and not deserving of charity. I can think of much more worthy causes.

They fought for their country? When was their country under attack? They fight for their governments interests, if they don't realise that they're idiots. Cannon fodder, you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, that's their jobs and they usually do it by making life difficult for the locals. They're not a very nice bunch, 'thugs in uniform' if you will and not deserving of charity. I can think of much more worthy causes.

Hhhhmmmm so the second world war and various wars since are you saying these men and women were thugs because there government sent them
    Once again no one is asking you to contribute or to wear a poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Hhhhmmmm so the second world war and various wars since are you saying these men and women were thugs because there government sent them

perhaps a new charity exclusively for the veterans of non illegal wars would be more to everyones taste

bobmalooka wrote: »
    perhaps a new charity exclusively for the veterans of non illegal wars would be more to everyones taste

And who decides which wars are legal and which are not do the soldiers take a vote on it :confused:

When you sign up, you don't decide what wars you fight in. There's many young lads, including many from Ireland who have signed up because circumstances, such as unemployment and young families dictated it was the only option. I'd certainly have sympathy for these men, and respect for those who serve despite disagreeing with the war

Your fully entitled not to support it, and as someone who's Republican minded, I've given the whole thing a lot of consideration. However I believe that any issues people have about the conduct and actions of the British Army in Ireland should be directed at the organ grinder, not the monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,274 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Can we leave the Poppy debate to the many poppy threads that have been / are / about to be started?

Needless to say, I 100% disagree with Charlie Mulgrew on this

• Advertisement

Erm, as I said, i didn't mean to have this escalate into this, it was merely to make a bit of fun at the fact that Celtic, whose fans don't particularly like anything related to the British Army, seem to be promoting the Poppy Appeal.

I'm talking about the British Army now. WWII is ancient history. The British Army have a history of acting like savages to the locals wherever they go. They acted like complete and utter thugs in Ireland. To Catholic's of course.

I'm talking about the British Army now. WWII is ancient history. The British Army have a history of acting like savages to the locals wherever they go. They acted like complete and utter thugs in Ireland. To Catholic's of course.

The Poppy Appeal deals with ex-servicemen from that 'ancient history', mostly.

I am well aware of what happened in Ireland Why did you feel the need to tell me this though

tommyhaas wrote: »
    When you sign up, you don't decide what wars you fight in. There's many young lads, including many from Ireland who have signed up because circumstances, such as unemployment and young families dictated it was the only option. I'd certainly have sympathy for these men, and respect for those who serve despite disagreeing with the war

Your fully entitled not to support it, and as someone who's Republican minded, I've given the whole thing a lot of consideration. However I believe that any issues people have about the conduct and actions of the British Army in Ireland should be directed at the organ grinder, not the monkey

Of course I know the reasons they join, as I said some wouldn’t get a job stacking shelves in Tesco. And I repeat they’re no heroes. They send some of these knuckle draggers into situations and their thuggery just shines. How they behaved in Ireland was nothing short of deplorable and there’s numerous instances in Iraq where they’ve been videoed beating up and abusing Iraqi’s, it was widespread. And you want people to honour them like they’re some noble people fighting for a noble cause? Pppffffftttt, pull the other one all this talk about serving their country. Any ex or present Brit I’ve come across has never disappointed in the knuckle dragging department, they’re embarrassing how dumb and usually racist they are. It’s no surprise how you behave while on duty in Islamic countries.

Robert Fisk did a fantastic article on them a few weeks ago, look it up and come back to me. An Irish person republican minded wanting to honour the British Army after how they terrorised the nationalist community on a daily basis? Nobody put a bullet to their head and made them beat the crap of people because of their religion. You can't always point the finger at their government for how they conducted themselves on a daily basis in Ireland. You’re one confused pup.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The Poppy Appeal deals with ex-servicemen from that 'ancient history', mostly.

The ones that are still alive. It's a shame the honourable men of WWII are being used to legitimatise these cretins today and the wars for oil we see and will continue to see.

Of course I know the reasons they join, as I said some wouldn’t get a job stacking shelves in Tesco. And I repeat they’re no heroes. They send some of these knuckle draggers into situations and their thuggery just shines. How they behaved in Ireland was nothing short of deplorable and there’s numerous instances in Iraq where they’ve been videoed beating up and abusing Iraqi’s, it was widespread. And you want people to honour them like they’re some noble people fighting for a noble cause? Pppffffftttt, pull the other one all this talk about serving their country. Any ex or present Brit I’ve come across has never disappointed in the knuckle dragging department, they’re embarrassing how dumb and usually racist they are. It’s no surprise how you behave while on duty in Islamic countries.

Robert Fisk did a fantastic article on them a few weeks ago, look it up and come back to me. An Irish person republican minded wanting to honour the British Army after how they terrorised the nationalist community on a daily basis? Nobody put a bullet to their head and made them beat the crap of people because of their religion. You can't always point the finger at their government for how they conducted themselves on a daily basis in Ireland. You’re one confused pup.

Why did you feel the need to suddenly change your font size, Have to say I disagree with you I have met many very good ex servicemen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

And who decides which wars are legal and which are not do the soldiers take a vote on it :confused:
    The UN have a conflict resolution charter which is upheld by international law, obviously there are huge grey areas.

Ultimately soldiers in any country have a moral duty to find the answers before killing for money, patriotism or not knowing any better are the weakest of excuses to give.

Every person has a duty to know the difference between right and wrong.

How anybody can into a conflict without knowing all the ins and outs baffles me, these people are reckless with life.

Blindly supporting them just because they wear your flag on the uniform baffles me too, should they not be held to the highest levels of moral scrutiny when representing the people of your country?

bobmalooka wrote: »
    The UN have a conflict resolution charter which is upheld by international law, obviously there are huge grey areas.

Ultimately soldiers in any country have a moral duty to find the answers before killing for money, patriotism or not knowing any better are the weakest of excuses to give.

Every person has a duty to know the difference between right and wrong.

How anybody can into a conflict without knowing all the ins and outs baffles me, these people are reckless with life.

Blindly supporting them just because they wear your flag on the uniform baffles me too, should they not be held to the highest levels of moral scrutiny when representing the people of your country?

Wear who's flag

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Erm, as I said, i didn't mean to have this escalate into this, it was merely to make a bit of fun at the fact that Celtic, whose fans don't particularly like anything related to the British Army, seem to be promoting the Poppy Appeal.

Hang on a second...

So Celtic are now supporting the British Army through the Poppy Appeal while Rangers aren't supporting the British Army by not paying their taxes :pac:

Nil by Mouth have out done themselves :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement