Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike for commuting - must take rack & full mudguards

Options
  • 01-10-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice or recomendations on a bike for commuting. It's 20 KM each way from Kilcooe to Dun Laoghaire.

For the past umpteen years I have been using my aged steel MTB. It's getting pretty worn out at this stage and needs a lot of TLC. It's showing a good few rust spots and the wheels are knackered, as is most of the drivetrain.

Thinking of getting something new instead, along the lines of a CX bike or something like that.

Would definitely like to get something with discs, the xtr v brakes on the current yolk are grand, but stopping quickly in the wet would be a nice bonus given the traffic in Bray!

I could use the BTW scheme to save a few quid too. Budget would ahve to be no more than 1K, and that would be with the BTW coming off it.

Full mudguards and fittings for the old topeadk tourister rear rack would be essential too.

any advice, or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Just realised that I posted this in the adverts section.

could a mod move it to the main section?

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Surly Cross Check or Straggler?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cross check is canti brakes, but the straggler has disk brakes. How about the genesis day one alfine 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

fat bloke wrote: »

A fellow commuter who I meet regularly bought one of these recently but was less than impressed with the disc brakes. He reckoned the caliper brakes were better than the cable pull disk brake on this bike. I have no experience of disk brakes but is there much of a difference between cable pull and hydraulic disk brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Boardman hybrid pro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Kaffenback?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2TIA/planet-x-kaffenback-2-shimano-tiagra-road-bike

I've one of these that I use for commuting and winter training.

It's not a CX bike but will take CX tires - I used it at the race last Sunday and didn't die.

Bit heavy but bombproof. I find the disc brakes very handy in traffic in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've a Cdf and yes the brakes are pants. Even my LBS commented on how poor they were. Paint also marks easily.

thanks for all the suggestions so far folks,

keep them coming.

the boardman comp look nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Moved from adverts

• Advertisement

thanks CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a cross check but mounted V brakes and a mountain bike drive chain, perfect when my panniers are loaded. Very assured handling and comfy too.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I got the old steel raleigh back on the road last night having found a spare chain and 28/38/48 mtb crankset in the shed. I must have bought two of them back in the day as it is the same as the worn out one currently on my bike.

Installed them last night and it now looks like i'll be able to live with the rust spots on the frame for a while longer. I will be looking for a new set of wheels for it shortly though. Looks like Merlin do a set of lx non disc hubs on either mavic 317 or 717 for €140 or €200.

I'll check the LBS first an see if they can produce anything similar.

So my 1995 Raleigh Mtrax will get to fight another winter.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

New one from Canyon if you change your mind...

Advertisement