Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot from Hard-drive on a different laptop

Options
  • 30-03-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

So my laptop died ( RIP ) and I have the Hard drive from her here. I've bought a new laptop with Win 8 and I'm wondering if I change the booting order to boot from the drive of the dead laptop will that boot up as normal, in win 7 showing all my files, desktop etc... as it would have in the old laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The odd time you'd get lucky and that'd work but most of the time no, it wont.

You need to re-install windows on any drive IN the system its to boot, so drivers and system configurations are set correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you want to try it to get your files off. Maybe. But it will never work properly. Windows installs itself to match the hardware. Move that disk to another PC and it be very unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You would probably be able to boot into it, but you're going to be left with alot of things not working due to lack of drivers. Its worth a try, but unlikely to work very smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jdunne08

Thanks for the comments lads, I wont even try it to save me the hassle if its gonna be unstable or anything. It wasnt a necessity anyway so Ill just plug it in as an external.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Kind of a different problem folks. Laptop screen keeps flasing when I turn it on,had been working fine all along. It's a hp .

• Advertisement

Kind of a different problem folks. Laptop screen keeps flasing when I turn it on,had been working fine all along. It's a hp .

Might there be keys eg ctl,alt,de, whatever that might fix it?

?

help:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Loose cable to the inverter or failing board display board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it do it on the bios screen. If it does its a hardware fault and you should return it. If only in Windows then update the video driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement