Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting files off a failled harddrive

Options
  • 05-01-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get files or folders off a failed hard drive on a laptop, I getting a the failed hard drive replaced tomorrow and was hoping to salvage what I can tonight.

I'm working the laptop off a ubuntu boot disk and don't think there's a way to get files this way unless someone knows better.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sjjhynes

You could attach it to another computer as a slave drive but from your post Id expect that you dont have teh proper tools to do this as you need an IDE converrtor cable to connect to the laptop.

Another way is to install windows onto a different area on the disk and then copy off but ifthe disk isn't spinning then either solutions wont work

Sorry I can't be of more help

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I'd say your best bet would be to connect it as a slave as suggested above and boot into knoppix or some other type of linux.I seem to get better results when im not doing this sort of stuff in windows. it may or may not work depending on how badly its damaged. If you're hearing lots of clicking then i'd say its probably gone.

You could always contact critical data recovery in sandyford if its really really important you get the data off. They are bloody pricey though. good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

failed ?
    linux live CD, and use ddrescue to grab as much as you can
    or use photorec to pull files

if the drive isn't seen then you are looking at data recovery , a place up in Belfast is probably half the price as down here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thanks,

I think that ddrescue is maybe only be for recovery from linux installed machines as I could'nt find my windows folders, I had most of the files backed up just not a mirror image.

And on another note "DELL NEXTDAY" waranty callout really does work!

I phoned DELL yesterday about 3 o Clock, Got a call from the engineer at 9 this morning and he was at my house by 12 and replaced the hardrive. Very impressed with the service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ddrescue is low level stuff for hovering up all those 1's and 0's and then doing data recovery on the "photocopy" of the drive. It don't care about files or folders or partitions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement