Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18 week scan and baby hardly moved..is this normal?

• 05-06-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I need a bit of advice regarding a scan, I had a private scan last Monday and I was 18Weeks and 4Days, during the scan the sonographer meaursed arms, legs etc but was unable to measure the baby's head as the baby had the head facing my back, now she did say everything was okay but I am still concerned as the baby only seemed to move a small bit but not too much and I have a very very small bump, Now I do have an official hospital scan at the end of June when I am 22 weeks pregnant but I am very concerned and worried and was wondering is it okay and safe to go and have another private scan done in a different place to where I was last week, I don't mind paying as I need to make sure everything is okay and I know I only have another few weeks to go before my hospital scan but I don't think I could wait that long. Also I have not felt the baby move but I have heard that this is common and it is my first baby and my frame is small and petite but I am wondering has anyone else had the same experience as what I have written? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I would not be too worried. I am nearly 17 weeks and in my scan the baby was not very active either. It took a long time for the midwife to get the baby to move, by pressing on my belly. The midwife explained that the baby had been sleeping - they have sleep time and wake time in the womb, just as they would outside of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Exactly. All babies have sleep time and active time - even those not born yet. I wouldn't be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nothing to worry about at all. On my first the midwife had to push and poke to get baba to move. On my second they took all the measurements after the scan from stills cos he just wouldn't stop moving.

You just got your scan at a sleepy time (as Orion said), not a thing you can do about it, but if there was a problem the midwife who did the scan would have spotted it straight away.

Good luck with the pregnancy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i heard having a ice cold glass of water or coke will help wake baby up. They would of been looking at the heart beat and seen the heart beating so if they had suspected anything wrong they would of sent you into the hospital for a emergency scan.

Its very easy to worry believe me this is only the start of a never ending worrying journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Avril123 wrote: »
    I need a bit of advice regarding a scan, I had a private scan last Monday and I was 18Weeks and 4Days, during the scan the sonographer meaursed arms, legs etc but was unable to measure the baby's head as the baby had the head facing my back, now she did say everything was okay but I am still concerned as the baby only seemed to move a small bit but not too much and I have a very very small bump, Now I do have an official hospital scan at the end of June when I am 22 weeks pregnant but I am very concerned and worried and was wondering is it okay and safe to go and have another private scan done in a different place to where I was last week, I don't mind paying as I need to make sure everything is okay and I know I only have another few weeks to go before my hospital scan but I don't think I could wait that long. Also I have not felt the baby move but I have heard that this is common and it is my first baby and my frame is small and petite but I am wondering has anyone else had the same experience as what I have written? Thanks

I had a 9 week scan...baby was jumping around like a jumping bean...had a 12 week scan...baby's limps were flayling about, still jumping but less rigoursly....had an 18 week scan last week....baby just waved an arm lol...as they get bigger there's less room for them to move and if it's sleepy time for them, you haven't a hope. You'll probably find at your 20 week scan they're lying with their back to you, not moving a muscle, they say they're sleeping but I think they're just being awkward ;)

They would have told you if there was something to worry about. Like Bulmersgal said...drink an ice cold drink...you'll soon get a kick ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Thank you all for your replys, you have made me feel a bit better, I am still thinking about getting another scan hopefully this week to put my mind at ease even though it's only a week since I had a scan, the sonographer did give me a can of coke to drink last week but that didn't do much but I will try it again and hopefully the little one will be bouncing around :p

Advertisement