Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portiuncula Hospital Vs University College Hospital Galway

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello :) I'm hoping someone can help, I'm trying to decide which hospital to register in for my maternity care. My choices are Portiuncula, Ballinasloe and University College Hospital, Galway. I live in between both so distance is not an issue for either. However, I am due at Christmas so traffic in Galway city could be a problem as my last birth was rapid and I def want the epidural :eek:

Has anyone ever gone to both? or any opinion on either good or bad?

I used the University College hospital last time and it was okay but very busy and I was left waiting a lot at all the appointments which doesn't suit now with work and school runs. I have read about the awards for Portiuncula but also heard a horror story that worries me.

Anyway hope someone can shed some light on it for me :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I can only comment on Portiuncula but I can't say enough about them. They were brilliant. I was under Dr Monaghan and he's wonderful.
    Due to complications (my own - not baby's) I was in for about 3 weeks before my little boy arrived and about 10 days after - about a month in total and the care was brilliant throughout the entire time.
    Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fee123

Hi Bubbaloo, thanks very much for your post. I'm sorry to hear you had complications and I hope all is well now. It sounds like they offer a great service especially considering you were in their care for so long with no complaints (which can be rare in regards to hospitals from my experience!) I really appreciate your help, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

No probs Fee - the only negative I can say is that I got sick of the food but that would happen anywhere if you're there for a month!
    There's a couple of Supermacs in the town for "emergencies" :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

I had a baby in both hospitals, both great :) Feel free to message me if you'd like more in-depth info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I attended UCHG for my pre natal care for the first few months. Nicer hospital aesthetically from what I could see.

I was in Portiuncula on and off during the pregnancy and due to complications was there for 14 days when I gave birth. They were fantastic. I had one mid wife who was a cow but the rest were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. It's a bit run down (unless it's been done up in the last few years since I visited there).

I also attended Portiuncula with my sick newborn, again, fatastic treatment. And she spent a night or two in UCHG when she was a toddler. Can't fault it other than the consultant being a bit patronising.

No help at all I'm afraid! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

It actually has been done up! :D It's a good hospital and it's got an excellent reputation :P

Advertisement