Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lol

• 25-03-2009 1:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

lol

ROFLMAO

LMAO

etc etc

Is it a sign of a lack of wit or intelligence or maybe time that makes posters constantly resort to these old reliables?

I even heard one not too intelligent person use "l,o,l" when speaking last week. Is it time to ban the lollers?

Personally I think yes. There was a time "lol" meant "lots of love" - that is how it started - so I naturally raise an eyebrow everytime I see it but anyway...to me it is just lazy. Sometimes I think alot of posters here are public servants, they have the time to post so much, but anyway...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lol (Sigh) ...past my bedtime ...G'night zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

wat?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Disappointment much.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8df5ac00ee/laughing-out-loud-the-lol-story-from-torture-rack

I dont know if its free or not in the 1st place..

EDIT: LOL

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

darkman2 wrote: »
    lol

ROFLMAO

LMAO

etc etc

Is it a sign of a lack of wit or intelligence or maybe time that makes posters constantly resort to these old reliables?

I even heard one not too intelligent person use "l,o,l" when speaking last week. Is it time to ban the lollers?

Personally I think yes. There was a time "lol" meant "lots of love" - that is how it started - so I naturally raise an eyebrow everytime I see it but anyway...to me it is just lazy. Sometimes I think alot of posters here are public servants, they have the time to post so much, but anyway...
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

magick wrote: »
    wat?!

lol
    Rabies wrote: »

ROFLMAO
    Disappointment much.:(

LMAO

lol that was quick...

apologies please :P

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Is it laziness that bothers you OP, or is it frustration- because you dont know how to deal with it?

• Advertisement

The most you can really write is "haha", and I do often write that instead of "lol".

Personally, I HATE the word "lol". It drives me insane. However, I've seen it so much and I'm so used to it that i write it out of desperate wanting of acceptance habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I don't understand much of the termanalogy either.

But then, I'm old and senile, so it dosen't matter to me that much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

are "bah", "huh" or "haha" any better. They're just a new generations terminology. Get used to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

TimAy wrote: »
    are "bah", "huh" or "haha" any better.

No. Shakesphere's English only should be spoken on boards and in all walks of life. These are the wishes of Kevin Myers.

But back on the "lol's" - is there nothing more original out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ever notice the way some one will say something serous then at the very end go lol :p ?

whats the deal with that

the person just lold there own joke i rarley say it lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But back on the "lol's" - is there nothing more original out there?

GTFO?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    GTFO?

i dont know that one whats it mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

tl;dr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lulz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i dont know that one whats it mean ?

Click me

Xavi6 wrote: »

GTFO of here :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

is there a thread that anyone knows of that can explain all these abbrev for us newbies ffs have no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

obligatory lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

lol

ROFLMAO

LMAO

etc etc

Said he with over 4,500 posts to his name. :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No. Shakesphere's English only should be spoken on boards and in all walks of life.
    Methinks thou dost protest too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

Said he with over 4,500 posts to his name. :eek:

lol <---- topical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Methinks thou dost postest too much.

FYP, then lollersnorted when I re-read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Welcome to the internetz

nOOb

Lollerz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I just spent ten minutes with iGod. Is it wrong that it's actually the most intelligent internet-based conversation I've had in weeks?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I just spent ten minutes with iGod. Is it wrong that it's actually the most intelligent internet-based conversation I've had in weeks?

Me:
    hello
    God:
    Hello my child. What is your name?
    Me:
    dick
    God:
    I am very pleased to meet you dick.
    Me:
    whats up
    God:
    Not much is going on. I was waiting for you.
    Me:
    hows mary
    God:
    Fine as far as I know.
    Me:
    and the kids ?
    God:
    Im confused.
    Me:
    U and mary have sex lately ?
    God:
    As Freud said, Sex is the mathematical urge repressed.
    Me:
    b;ow jobs ?
    God:
    I like the way you talk.
    Me:
    are you black
    God:
    I am transparent--software has no color.
    Me:
    ever been too ireland ?
    God:
    Tell me a little about your life in IRELAND.
    Me:
    it sucks
    God:
    What is so bad about it?
    Me:
    it sucks bad

Then I got bored ,,,,,,:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

lol @ this thread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

wut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

lol

ROFLMAO

LMAO

etc etc

Yep. Laziness and not wanting to think of a decent reply.

shezzie wrote: »
    is there a thread that anyone knows of that can explain all these abbrev for us newbies ffs have no idea
    Try urbandictionary.com
    It's completely retarded, but you'll eventually fnd the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ROFLMFAOPMSLOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

weeder wrote: »
    ROFLMFAOPMSLOL

....copterbikepurpleymonkeydishwasher

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Where's my Bah Humbug emoticon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

imvho - the more you use the interwebs the more your brain melts...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sure how people can get worked up about a simple abbreviation. I use lol sometimes because it's more convenient than saying actually, I found your point quite funny.

Some people would get a pole up their hole about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    yes
    compare it to this from the 1960's http://www-ai.ijs.si/eliza/eliza.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Lol is for the lesser educated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dazftw wrote: »

No. That = FAIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I did it for the lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

lol

ROFLMAO

LMAO

etc etc

laughs out loud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Is that better OP?

Advertisement