Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spam the spammers

• 20-03-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Checked my hotmail account for the first time in a long while yesterday, and to my delight I found over 1300 mails just for ME! The enticing promises of cheap horse tranquillisers, the delicious business deals! I felt so special:D

So, a bit bored I decided to respond to a particularly nice mail about 'big business opportunity' in Senegal, stating my astounding business experience and telling them I just couldn't refuse their offer. I got a mail back and they would love to enter into business with someone with such high standing in the 'Arse Biscuit Idustry' :P The documents are pending in their next mail :rolleyes:Anyone else ever get bored enough to tag along teh spammers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out 419eater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I usually just set a rule for them, especially those Chinese sites. if they email my about their site they get it forwarded back to them 100 times.

has worked so far, never had more then one email from the same Chinese site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

You're aware that most spam are sent by computer scripts, right? You're responding to a computer if you respond to most of the spam you get. If you want to waste your time though, nobody is stopping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Ass wrote: »
    You're aware that most spam are sent by computer scripts, right? You're responding to a computer if you respond to most of the spam you get. If you want to waste your time though, nobody is stopping you.

Passes the time in work better than talkin to Microsoft Sam I guess:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

iGod is the ultimate timewaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

hobochris wrote: »
    I usually just set a rule for them, especially those Chinese sites. if they email my about their site they get it forwarded back to them 100 times.

has worked so far, never had more then one email from the same Chinese site.

By responding to spam you are simply confirming that your email address is live. Most spams result from those (mainly USA I believe) companies that offer millions of email addresses for a fee, but they can't know if all of them are current. By responding you confirm that yours is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

ART6 wrote: »
    By responding to spam you are simply confirming that your email address is live. Most spams result from those (mainly USA I believe) companies that offer millions of email addresses for a fee, but they can't know if all of them are current. By responding you confirm that yours is.

The majority of spam comes from the USA, China and Russia at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

iGod is the ultimate timewaster

Haha i just broke iGod, confused the crap out of it and then it stopped answering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The majority of spam comes from the USA, China and Russia at the moment.

I read somewhere some time ago that one of the software houses -- might have been Microsoft but I can't remember -- wanted to create an application that, when spam was received, caused the affected computer to send back a large series of random numbers. The idea I think was that since spammers send out a million or so spams at a time, they would get back so many random number responses that it would overwhelm both them and their ISPs and effectively shut them down. The idea was dropped when it was pointed out to them that it infringed the spammer's human rights:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Harpie wrote: »
    Checked my hotmail account for the first time in a long while yesterday, and to my delight I found over 1300 mails just for ME! The enticing promises of cheap horse tranquillisers, the delicious business deals! I felt so special:D

So, a bit bored I decided to respond to a particularly nice mail about 'big business opportunity' in Senegal, stating my astounding business experience and telling them I just couldn't refuse their offer. I got a mail back and they would love to enter into business with someone with such high standing in the 'Arse Biscuit Idustry' :P The documents are pending in their next mail :rolleyes:Anyone else ever get bored enough to tag along teh spammers?

Pfftt... 2000 unread emails for me.

Most of them are boards. And I have it set to email me every week!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

For some reason I recently started receiving spam from the a particular shopping chain. For the hell of it, I sent them an e-mail asking them to stop. I got this reply:
    Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.

Can you please supply your full name and full postal address together with your date of birth, once we have received your e-mail, we will then be in position to assist you further.

Please attach the information below when you reply.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Grace D'mello
    Internet Correspondence Department

I replied:

Sure, no problem:

Me,
    A House,
    A Road,
    A Town,
    A Country.

You forgot to ask for my bank account details. You guys are slipping up. Here they are anyway:

Bank of Saturn,
    Titan,
    The solar system.
    Account Number: X999 999 999
    Sort Code: 99 - 99 - 99.

They replied:
    Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order for us to remove your e-mail address from our database, we require you to confirm some security details.

The information we need is your full name, full postal address, and date of birth. Without this information we will not be able to locate your details to take them off our database.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused and if you have any further queries please contact us at customer services on 0844 844 8333 and we will be able to assist you further.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards

Farhad Amod
    Internet Correspondence

I replied:
    You already were given my full address:

Me,
    A House,
    A Road,
    A Town.
    A Country

I neglected to give you my date of birth. It is the 658th of February, 3095.

After that I got an e-mail saying they were removing me from their list. However, I did receive another from them since then, so I'll have to come up with a nice reply. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Anything yet Flukey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Overflow wrote: »
    Haha i just broke iGod, confused the crap out of it and then it stopped answering

i god wont work for me do i have to install some player or something?

its like this

Me :

God:

Cant see what we are saying

ANNOYING:mad:

PS- sorry for thread spoiling:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Overflow wrote: »

Haha very easy so it is!

Type: Bye and it breaks

That's why I love gmail. Never bothered by spam whatsoever and those that somehow manage to sneak through just get filtered out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,462 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

on gmail?
    Jesus..it';s the worse every I've found for spam...I say I get about 500 a week at least.
    My other email accounts get nothing whatsoever.

Advertisement