Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renault megane problems

Options
  • 10-10-2008 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a renault megane 1998 diesel and yesterday when I went to switch the front wipers on they swept once or twice then stopped in the up position. A strange clicking noise can be heard from under the fusebox, maybe from the relays. I checked fuses and they are okay. Also the indicators, electric sunroof, rear wiper, hazard lights have stopped working too and when pressing brake pedal when lights are on , one of the rear taillights goes off. All fuses are okay.
    Any ideas what the problem could be anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Could be relay for Wiper motor, not familiar with Renaults, but just check manual for location and check, occasionally the contacts can corrode - either clean or replace. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

I had problem with wipers. Had to turn on fan to get wipers to work. One of many electrical problems. All caused by bad earth. Good auto electrician can sort it. Same thing can happen with all back lights coming on together or in various combinations. Lovely car to drive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I bought a fuse/relay box from scrapyard for 50 euros, cheap considering renault garage wanted 800 euros for a new one.
    Fitted it in and it made no difference, there a still a clicking noise coming from one of the relays which cannot be removed as they are soldered in.
    So it must be a a bad earth possibly. What is the best way to check for a bad earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Get onto some of the owners forums, but generally there are earths under bonnet (2) and in the boot. TBH, an auto electrician would be best in this circumstance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ren1

under the bonett beside the battery there is a black plastic cover remove it to see large fuses check if one has blown or not making proper connection turn on ignition and shake each fuse when you hear buzz sound thats the one you need to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

About 2 months too late there newbie. :D

I know its late berty but Ijust joined and I dont see a better answer do you smart guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

ren1 wrote: »
    under the bonett beside the battery there is a black plastic cover remove it to see large fuses check if one has blown or not making proper connection turn on ignition and shake each fuse when you hear buzz sound thats the one you need to check.

Thanks Ren1 , the car has been fixed and it was in the area you have described. I was charged 120 euros for it though. The mechanic said it was a bad earth, rusty fuse connections etc at the fuses near the battery.
    The car is running better than ever now though, the glowplugs seem to start the engine faster, maybe the fault had been lurking there for a while,

cheers

Glad you got your car sorted my friend. I know it can be expensive at times to keep the old wagons on the road,At least now you know something else to try if it gives you any more trouble. bye mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Berty wrote: »
    About 2 months too late there newbie. :D
    Bit of a newbie around these parts yourself. :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement