Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery death being caused by radio?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey

I don't use my car much at all... once a week for 30 mins at most. I went out to it the other night and the battery had died but the lights on the radio were still on. I jump started the car and left it running for about 30 mins, but when I went to turn it off the radio lights stayed on. I switched it on again and tried turning the radio off but nothing, its not playing any sound.. just the lights staying on. I think this happened before but the stereo lights switched off when I turned the car off. It was something to do with a security feature, when the battery dies the radio thinks its been robbed so won't work. The main power cable to the stero doesn't appear to disconnect so easily so I'm not sure what to do. The battery is dead again now but I think its because the radio would not shut off. The lights are off now though. I'm gonna try charging it up again later but I'm just wondering before I do .. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the radio? does it need to be disconnected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If the battery is draining that quickley I doubt it is the Radio. Could be the Battery is fecked, usually happens in cold weather or the is a connect open somewhere, i.e. alternator that is draining the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

ok .. I've charged it again and disconnected and reconnected the stereo. The lights of the stereo aren't coming on anymore .. but neither is the sound :) the clock has gone off too. I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow to see if it drains again.

I'd say you are right Oldmanmondeo .. the battery is fecked :confused:
    buggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Had a similar problem before - the battery was out of life.

Advertisement