Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever cheated the system? And how.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

df1985 wrote: »
    superquinn in lucan has their pick n mix about 2 aisles in, i fill my bag with sweets but "forget" to weight it. i then continue on my shop happily eating the sweets, get to the till..."oh forgot to weigh this", then they weight it and theres about 20c worth of sweets left :)

you are damaging your teeth, and more than that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

1. Pass 10 Baht coins off as 2 Euro with Dublin Bus. Do that all the time. Usually come back to Ireland with a heap of them just to do them over.
    2. Sneak an odd 10 Baht coin into a stack of 2 Euro coins when paying for drinks at nightclubs if they are too expensive.
    3. Smuggle in cigarettes for friends and family. If the bailout is good enough for the Banks, its good enough for me.

On the other side.

1. Import cars using a tax exemption for foreigners. Then 'lease' them to local friends and split the difference between us.

Amongst a few other....semi legal deals. Not really harmful but putting one over on the boyos in charge. Honesty starts at the top, and politicians should be seen to lead by example. And that starts when Bertie Ahern is in Mountjoy in front of a firing squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I had a girlfriend years ago called System...the things I did behind her back with her best friend..does that count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

dermo88 wrote: »
    And that starts when Bertie Ahern is in Mountjoy in front of a firing squad.

I don't know how they do things in Thailand, but here in Ireland we, rightly, do not have the death penalty.

UglyBolloxface

I don't know how they do things in Thailand, but here in Ireland we, rightly, do not have the death penalty.

Mores the pity, a few less skangers and scum would do the country the world of good.

BTW, I do not live in Thailand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I bought a new lawnmower on the cycle-to-work scheme. Claimed the tax back no problem.

Now I drive to work and my wife does the mowing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I used to work in a well-known Irish bookshop chain when I was a student (maybe 8 years ago) and a mother came in with her children to buy them their school books. It was obvious she was stressed out and broke and she would've had to spend hundreds on school books...so without her looking, I pretended to scan some of the more expensive ones through but just put them straight into the bag without her noticing. It was a spur of the moment thing and I still debate in my head whether I did the right thing. Personally, I felt it was alright about it as it was a large chain of bookshops but I know plenty of people who'd disagree. She was visibly relieved and I was glad I did it.

Wow, Eve.
    Very decent of you.

Sad thing is she probably never realised your generosity. Most likely chalked it up to a mistake on your part :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I used to work in a well-known Irish bookshop chain when I was a student (maybe 8 years ago) and a mother came in with her children to buy them their school books. It was obvious she was stressed out and broke and she would've had to spend hundreds on school books...so without her looking, I pretended to scan some of the more expensive ones through but just put them straight into the bag without her noticing. It was a spur of the moment thing and I still debate in my head whether I did the right thing. Personally, I felt it was alright about it as it was a large chain of bookshops but I know plenty of people who'd disagree. She was visibly relieved and I was glad I did it.

:) lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

i know a girl that would take sale prices off sale items and put them on a top or somethiing she wanted to buy- and when she brought them to the counter if the assistant noticed and tried to charge her full price she would start yelling and accuse them of trying to "con" her.

Many a time she got the item at the sale price because she has no shame and would order the manager doewn and threatn to call the local papers about them

I refuse to go shopping with her anymore she has no shame!:(

Me on the other hand, i have had an incident where when i got my reciept back after shopping id noticed the girl on the counter didnt scan a few items- and id said nothing... im going to hell :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Honesty starts at the top, and politicians should be seen to lead by example. And that starts when Bertie Ahern is in Mountjoy in front of a firing squad.

Politicians were on the lower rungs once too....with your logic no wonder the country is poxed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Many a time she got the item at the sale price because she has no shame and would order the manager doewn and threatn to call the local papers about them
    Me on the other hand, i have had an incident where when i got my reciept back after shopping id noticed the girl on the counter didnt scan a few items- and id said nothing... im going to hell :eek:

Theres definitely a difference between the two of you. You, after realising they didnt scan all the items took advantage of their mistake (and rightfully so, hey thats life)

But your mate? right wan*er from the sounds of it. Like, on one hand it could be she she was chancing her arm changing the sale tags (who dares, wins :pac:) But to then make a big scene when the "mistake" was realised? Bull-sh*t threaten to goto papers about them? ... all because she wanted her way or should I say "her price"? ... thats a right wan*er alright. Not someone you would want to be around. They'd eventually be a right wa*ker with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I worked in Munich for 6 months and their U-Bahn (underground train system)used to (not sure if it still does) was barrierless and you bought a ticket and inspectors carried out spot checks every so often. I decided after being there for a week and never being spot checked, that i would take the risk and not bother buying a ticket. I used the U-bahn every day 4 or 5 times for the 6 months and was caught once and got roughly a €80 fine which was considerably less than what it should have cost if i had paid for tickets.

Take that Merkel ya oul sow faced b***h!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My sister came home visibly distressed once after having one of those really bad days. It was topped off when she was almost fined for riding the Luas without a ticket (she was late for a meeting and the Luas was just about to leave so she hopped on). When she couldn't "find" the ticket in her purse (she didn't have one) the guy told her to find it when she got home, scan it and email it to Luas. I scanned a different ticket, photoshopped it and emailed it off. She never got the fine and it made her day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I used to give student discounts to anyone who was nice to me when I was working in Boots.

Also there was a vending machine in my school that gave out free crisps if you hit it right. I never paid for a packet of hunky dorys in my entire six years there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I blatantly abused the 'take a penny, leave a penny' jar in a supermarket once

Was the slot big enough ? :eek: You have my sympathies!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

leggo wrote: »
    For months, he would come back and try to sneak in just to get a roll for lunch

could he not have got one of his mates to get his roll,cmon man this is a bit far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Once I bought a return ticket on the train and went back on the bus. BUt that was a long time ago, so I'm porbably in the clear (looks around nervously).

Stork

Sticking it to the man since...um...er....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

leggo wrote: »
    For months, he would come back and try to sneak in just to get a roll for lunch

could he not have got one of his mates to get his roll,cmon man this is a bit far fetched.

Never thought of that! Yeah, this story is beginning to sound like a made-up fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Used to work for a bank, yes I'm banking scum

Kept my staff card, no charges for draft and no commission on foreign currency.
    Used to it for special rates at gyms. Discounted tickets to a golf tournament too

I got good use out of that card for years after I left :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I remember as a kid bringing glass bottles back to the supermarket (1970s).
    We'd get 5p per bottle returned.

The supermarket would bring the bottles out to the back yard.
    We'd eat eyescreamcones (bought with the money collected) waiting for the bottles to be put through the system and stacked in the yard behind the supermarket.

Then we'd climb into the yard, nick the bottles and bring them back in the front door for more dosh for eyescreamcones.
    Result :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I remember as a kid bringing glass bottles back to the supermarket (1970s).
    We'd get 5p per bottle returned.

The supermarket would bring the bottles out to the back yard.
    We'd eat eyescreamcones (bought with the money collected) waiting for the bottles to be put through the system and stacked in the yard behind the supermarket.

Then we'd climb into the yard, nick the bottles and bring them back in the front door for more dosh for eyescreamcones.
    Result :D

:D

Back in school in Australia, I worked out a way to scam free ice creams by bringing a brown paper lunch bag in to school and smearing it with a bit of sauce. Because of the heat, if you ordered your lunch at the canteen (say a meat pie or sausage roll) you would get that and then have to queue up for the ice creams so they didn't melt.

It was easy to just write your name, classroom number on it, a meat pie and 2 ice creams (whatever type). As long as there was sauce all over the bag, it looked believable.

Can't believe I got away with that for ages. I did it about once a week :) Never got busted either.

I went through a phase years later of feeling really guilty about it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

:D

Back in school in Australia, I worked out a way to scam free ice creams by bringing a brown paper lunch bag in to school and smearing it with a bit of sauce. Because of the heat, if you ordered your lunch at the canteen (say a meat pie or sausage roll) you would get that and then have to queue up for the ice creams so they didn't melt.

It was easy to just write your name, classroom number on it, a meat pie and 2 ice creams (whatever type). As long as there was sauce all over the bag, it looked believable.

Can't believe I got away with that for ages. I did it about once a week :) Never got busted either.

I went through a phase years later of feeling really guilty about it :P

Children can be so... clever sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When the new coins came into circulation I got a €2 coin back instead of a €1 coin in the offy. I ran home squeeling with delight and only came out at night for a couple of months. I completely avoid that part of the city now just in case I get caught for it.

That was 6 years ago and I still get a great thrill every time I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

When the new coins came into circulation I got a €2 coin back instead of a €1 coin in the offy. I ran home squeeling with delight and only came out at night for a couple of months. I completely avoid that part of the city now just in case I get caught for it.

Grow a beard. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Grow a beard. :)

As a disguise?

Good idea.

That will do until I get the money together for plastic surgery.

One of the best ones came in 1990 with the introduction of the Pound coin. Vending machines were incorrectly calibrated. One evening, while comparing a past Irish coin set (Pre decimal) and (Decimal), I looked.

"Oh hello nurse....." and the lamplight lights in my mind.

The pre decimal penny and pound.....

I was 14....and thought.

"I can go to the coin dealer and get 12 of these old pennies for a pound"

Lets try.....something new. Went to get cigarettes which were 2.05 a pack of twenty back then, and tested it on a vending machine

"Clunk clunk, drop"

Out came 20 John Player Blue.

"RESULT"

So it was a case of my friends and I heading down to Mother Redcaps market and cleaning the old coin dealers out of pre decimal pennies.

Over the next month, before they realised, we must have turned 12 quid each into 200 quid with the cigarette scam. There was also my favourite target.....Dublin Bus.....using the coins painted with silver paint. The drivers were too 'rushed' to notice, and for the childs fare of 30 pence, we were getting back 70 pence. Several times a day in July 1990, the massive 'laundering' scheme built up stacks of coins with Italia 90 drawing to a close. Then it was back to Mother Redcaps, Georges Street Arcade, Grafton....to repeat the process.

Mum thought I was on the game when she saw 3 x 20 notes in the room....and it was going to take explaining. Even on a paper round, it was too much cash back then to get away with, since it was normally put in the Post office if I had over 20 quid at once and she knew how much I had.....prevented me drinking, smoking.....or generally being too bad. AND.....I was notoriously frugal back then. I would'nt spend Christmas.

Mum has also found the silver paint and the pennies under preparation, and she was not buying the excuse that this was for "an art competition". Especially with the article about the compatibility problem in the Evening Herald. And much as I tried to lie, I could'nt lie for nuts.

I explained.

She was bemused...... "No wonder you were so willing to cycle out and get cigarettes for Dad and I"

"How much did you make from the scam"

"About 60 quid"

Which was promptly confiscated and handled over to my Grandfather who helped in St Vincent De Paul, and no pocket money for 3 months either. By mid August, the Central Bank of Ireland was alerted, along with the vendors, so it was game over.

So it was a Robin Hood of sorts......even if it was against my will.

She rescinded in January on a good school report (came top of the class) and backdated the pocket money, as I was extra goodie two shoes. Cue the return of 3 crisp blue 20 pound notes.....SWEET.

Meanwhile....lying underneath the bed lay an enormous stash of shrapnel from Dublin Bus.

And one lesson I did learn.......be economical with the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

It is Scum like you that have the country in a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

1. Pass 10 Baht coins off as 2 Euro with Dublin Bus. Do that all the time. Usually come back to Ireland with a heap of them just to do them over.

Got one of these in change a while back, used it to buy lunch in tesco.

Take that tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Euro coins came into circulation 1 January 2002. How could they be new in September 2005?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

When I was in school a million years ago all the older students used to scam the operator for long distance calls (yes I did drop a 10pence piece in) and/or dial 0 and 1 to bypass the charges. I reckon at least 20% of them did it.

Advertisement