Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever cheated the system? And how.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Have you ever cheated the system?

The one I can think of is the following, although I think it is more theft than cheating the system to be honest:

At the Tesco self-checkouts, I entered a doughnut into the scanner as a banana. Many times saved me about 60 pence.

And yes, before I get attacked, I am aware that this is still theft, regardless of the price. And of course I am aware that my example isn't strictly cheating the system per sé.

What about you?

When I worked in supermarket security, I used to make an example out of people like you. Not because I was 'power-tripping', or any other buzz words ignorantly used to describe security guards, but because I had a pain in my hole hearing complaints about ****ing idiots who tried to rip us off for a few pennies (generally just so they could brag to their adult mates about how schmad they were).

For example, we had a group of builders who would come in every day. And some of them would go to the self-service salad counter, put a tiny bit into the container, weigh it, then fill it up. So they'd have about €3 worth of goods but only pay something like €1 (this was pre-recession, btw, if you didn't catch onto that by the fact that there were builders working in the area...so don't feel too sorry for them trying to save every penny).

One day, I put the dome camera on the salad counter and caught the first ****er doing it. Well, he was taken back in with all of his mates pissing themselves laughing at him, had his details and picture taken and was barred from the shop. For months, he would come back and try to sneak in just to get a roll for lunch (there was nowhere else around, really, that'd do decent food unless you wanted to pay for a full meal in the nearby cafe), and every single time he would be marched out the door like a naughty teen while his mates laughed at him. He was nearly in tears begging me one day to let him back in.

And, do you know what, every single time I did a spot check on the salad bars with these lads again...they all paid up.

The idiot. He went hungry just because he wanted to look cool and save a couple euro. I hope this happens to you, if only because most real theft starts at the level you're doing it at, and it'll cop you on before you actually get in real trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

leggo wrote: »
    When I worked in supermarket security, I used to make an example out of people like you. Not because I was 'power-tripping', or any other buzz words ignorantly used to describe security guards, but because I had a pain in my hole hearing complaints of ****ing idiots who tried to rip us off for a few pennies (generally just so they could brag to their adult mates about how schmad they were).

For example, we had a group of builders who would come in every day. And some of them would go to the self-service salad counter, put a tiny bit into the container, weigh it, then fill it up. So they'd have about €3 worth of goods but only pay something like €1 (this was pre-recession, btw, if you didn't catch onto that by the fact that there were builders working in the area...so don't feel too sorry for them trying to save every penny).

One day, I put the dome camera on the salad counter and caught the first ****er doing it. Well, he was taken back in with all of his mates pissing themselves laughing at him, had his details and picture taken and was barred from the shop. For months, he would come back and try to sneak in just to get a roll for lunch (there was nowhere else around, really, that'd do decent food unless you wanted to pay for a full meal in the nearby cafe), and every single time he would be marched out the door like a naughty teen while his mates laughed at him. He was nearly in tears begging me one day to let him back in.

And, do you know what, every single time I did a spot check on the salad bars with these lads again...they all paid up.

The idiot. He went hungry just because he wanted to look cool and save a couple euro. I hope this happens to you, if only because most real theft starts at the level you're doing it at, and it'll cop you on before you actually get in real trouble.

Nice post. But where did I mention that I wanted to/thought I looked cool? Read my post before making judgements.

Nice post. But where did I mention that I wanted to/thought I looked cool? Read my post before making judgements.

Sorry, I guess I just put two and two together when you bragged on boards about 'Cheating the system'...

Sorry, I guess I just put two and two together when you bragged on boards about 'Cheating the system'...

Again, if you read my post you will see that, yes cheating the system is mentioned, but I do in fact blatantly point out that it is theft. Have a read of my OP. And again, I fail to see where I was 'bragging'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sooopie wrote: »
    knackery thing to do in my opinion.

No need to call me a knacker.

for the record it was a joke. lighten up a bit.

• Advertisement

Again, if you read my post you will see that, yes cheating the system is mentioned, but I do in fact blatantly point out that it is theft. Have a read of my OP. And again, I fail to see where I was 'bragging'.

Okay mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sooopie wrote: »
    Jesus, are you destitute?

Probably not but if they keep having a can of coke and chocolate every time they go shopping they'll soon be obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

yeah ive cheated the system, and how!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

When I worked in supermarket security, I used to make an example out of people like you. Not because I was 'power-tripping', or any other buzz words ignorantly used to describe security guards, but because I had a pain in my hole hearing complaints about ****ing idiots who tried to rip us off for a few pennies (generally just so they could brag to their adult mates about how schmad they were).

I doubt it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Grapes fine. Chocolate or Coke is a no-no though. There is a line.

I'm guessing pissing on the fresh bread loaves is wrong as well then?...

OOPS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

TheBunk1 wrote: »

Ya he did the guy was also sleeping ruff and couldnt bring a lunch from home poor chap, i actually went to his funeral died of starvation.

TheBunk1 wrote: »

Well I doubt a pack of King Crisps and a Chomp bar from the newsagents across the road was hardly a nutritious lunch fit for a day's manual labour. ;)

I've cheated lots of times - signed on the dole all through college (coz the bastards wouldn't give me a grant), nicked loads of stuff from shops & even cheated in my Leaving Cert.

And if anyone takes exception to any of those things, all I can say is.. face, bovvered?

Again, I can't pass judgment because of what I outline in my OP. But cheating in the Leaving Cert? That's something I despise. By doing that, you could have cheated somebody out of the college place for which they studied but you cheated. That's not on in my book.

*eats doughnut masquerading as a banana*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Idiot, Subway do free refills if you are staying in there.
    idiot?
    really?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

hondasam wrote: »
    No need to call me a knacker.

for the record it was a joke. lighten up a bit.

I said your actions were knackery, I did not call you a knacker

Nice back tracking by the way

Joke?

Bit of a **** joke

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My passion for cheating the system is more than just a hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Again, I can't pass judgment because of what I outline in my OP. But cheating in the Leaving Cert? That's something I despise. By doing that, you could have cheated somebody out of the college place for which they studied but you cheated. That's not on in my book.

*eats doughnut masquerading as a banana*

yes but by cheating they were able to get a job that paid wages so they could pay the price of donuts in a supermarket...

Swings and roundabouts, Where do YOU draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

Is your name Paul Blart by any chance? :D

Sticjones wrote: »
    Is your name Paul Blart by any chance? :D

I thought he was Tard, Mr F Tard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

superquinn in lucan has their pick n mix about 2 aisles in, i fill my bag with sweets but "forget" to weight it. i then continue on my shop happily eating the sweets, get to the till..."oh forgot to weigh this", then they weight it and theres about 20c worth of sweets left :)

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    yes but by cheating they were able to get a job that paid wages so they could pay the price of donuts in a supermarket...

Swings and roundabouts, Where do YOU draw the line?

Are you honestly equating cheating in one of the most important examinations in your life* to scanning an 18 pence banana in place of a 78 pence doughnut? Really?

*yes, it really is. Of course, it isn't the be all and end all, but it is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

You're all so bitchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    You're all so bitchy.
    so's your face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Worked for a huge newspaper back in the 90s and there was a crossword and the fortnightly prize was a set of encyclopaedias, worth around $500.

There were always loads of entries, and whenever I was asked to draw a winner from the huge mail bag, I'd always make sure it was someone from a poor area that won. ;)

Ringing them to tell them they had won was priceless. Made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I used to work in a well-known Irish bookshop chain

...... until you were fired for stealing :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Not because I was 'power-tripping', or any other buzz words ignorantly used to describe security guards,
    (generally just so they could brag to their adult mates about how schmad they were).

:D lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I blatantly abused the 'take a penny, leave a penny' jar in a supermarket once

Sexually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I used to work in a supermarket and whenever any of the workers were buying their lunches I'd underprice it or weigh the container before filling with food.
    Worked both ways and I'd get lunch for next to nothing too.

We were treated like crap so I've no guilt over it. And they're still doing well so it didn't ruin them or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you honestly equating cheating in one of the most important examinations in your life* to scanning an 18 pence banana in place of a 78 pence doughnut? Really?

*yes, it really is. Of course, it isn't the be all and end all, but it is important.

It really isnt the be all and end all what so ever at all. In fact you could do quite poor in it and still come out the other side golden.

Did you recently complete it or something if your placing that much importance on it?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    It really isnt the be all and end all what so ever at all. In fact you could do quite poor in it and still come out the other side golden.

Did you recently complete it or something if your placing that much importance on it?

I don't think you read my post properly. I said it ISN'T the be all and end all.

Advertisement