Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better way to do business

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I was doing a job for an elderly relation of mine yesterday when a salesman for an energy firm came knocking on the door. My relative was very impressed with the savings this guy was offering. She handed all over all her details until she was asked for her bank account number for direct debit. This is when I was called and consulted as to what she should do. The guy showed us the device he was gonna use to send the details etc. etc. but my relative declined.

I have no doubt that the guy was legit but even so why should you be expected to hand over sensitive details to some randomer so quickly? Surely there is a better way of doing things.

(Not quite sure what the deal is with naming the company)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Cummybaby wrote: »
    I was doing a job for an elderly relation of mine yesterday when a salesman for an energy firm came knocking on the door. My relative was very impressed with the savings this guy was offering. She handed all over all her details until she was asked for her bank account number for direct debit. This is when I was called and consulted as to what she should do. The guy showed us the device he was gonna use to send the details etc. etc. but my relative declined.

I have no doubt that the guy was legit but even so why should you be expected to hand over sensitive details to some randomer so quickly? Surely there is a better way of doing things.

We can probably guess ;) Well while it's different it's probably much the same as handing a credit card in a restaurant or using it online. It's a mechanisim to sign you up quicker and to make the process handy for the customer. I don't see any particular problem with it as a mechanisim once you feel you've done all you can to verify the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

I suppose what really annoys me is that how inflexible and heavy handed these guys are. My relative was ready to sign up on the condition she could pay by cash when the bill came in which to me sounds like a reasonable request. But it was the usual nonsense: "That is impossible. It has to be direct debit. This is the only time I will be in the area. You have to sign now." Why the f*** is it impossible? Somersaulting to the moon is impossible - paying a bill by cash isn't.

I hate to think of other less discerning elderly people pressured like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I suppose what really annoys me is that how inflexible and heavy handed these guys are. My relative was ready to sign up on the condition she could pay by cash when the bill came in which to me sounds like a reasonable request. But it was the usual nonsense: "That is impossible. It has to be direct debit. This is the only time I will be in the area. You have to sign now." Why the f*** is it impossible? Somersaulting to the moon is impossible - paying a bill by cash isn't.

I agree with your post, but your username is disgusting BTW. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

I agree with your post, but your username is disgusting BTW. <SNIP>

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Stick on topic please.

dudara

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Stick on topic please.

dudara

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Direct Debit is used to guarantee a payment and a specific date. It's not that it was impossible, it could simply be that the Billing system they use only support Direct Debit or payments by card. I can only assume he was taking the details then to avoid future issues. I wouldn't place an order with someone without giving them details on how I would pay them.

There's no better way of doing things IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

The better way to handle it would be for the interest to be registered by the Energy company involved and a letter to sent out with DD mandate and T&C for the customer to read and understand, then for the customer to call or reply back in writing their agreement to switch providers. This would give the customer a chance to cool off or consult a partner/relative on the prospective deal. rather than the heavy handed tactics employed on the doorstep by field sales agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Direct Debit is used to ....

You've obviously never been on the bad end of trying to cancel a direct debit or been put onto a Direct Debit PLUS scheme when you thought it was a normal Direct Debit one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shhhhhhh, the mods say we're not allowed talk about sales reps selling on behalf of that company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I've worked in banking for many years and totally disagree.

Direct debits SUCK.

Take control yourself and pay by other means.

Shhhhhhh, the mods say we're not allowed talk about sales reps selling on behalf of that company

As long as the discussion is factual, it is allowed.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

If they only take payment by Direct Debit then it is impossible to pay by cash simple enough really. Alot of the time it is the only time that person is going to be in the area. I dont see how thats being ''heavy handed''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Lads i did a sales job and they only way we could do so was by direct debit.

Even though we live in the 21st century not everyone has a bank account, with direct debit its faster it saves you the hassle of queuing up in the bloody post office for from 10 - 25min especially in the afternoon.

some of us are on a monthly contract on our bill pay phones, you know how it works think of the hassle it'll take to top-up every single time, but with direct debit you have nothing to worry about.

you have the guarantee that you'll pay your bilks on time etc.

IMO it makes your life easier and that of the company aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

.. wrong place for new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Agent_99 wrote: »
    The better way to handle it would be for the interest to be registered by the Energy company involved and a letter to sent out with DD mandate and T&C for the customer to read and understand, then for the customer to call or reply back in writing their agreement to switch providers. This would give the customer a chance to cool off or consult a partner/relative on the prospective deal. rather than the heavy handed tactics employed on the doorstep by field sales agents.

The problem with that is that the door to door salespeople are usually on a crappy basic and work off commission. If you only register interest at the door they don't get paid, it's not a job many people do out of choice.

Don't all distance selling contracts have a cooling off period and someone calling to my door is distance selling, I hope.

Most of the savings your elderly relative would be making is the discount they give for signing up to pay by DD. If you pay cash they don't offer as good a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

It is nothing to do with a bukkake on a baby. It is a fusion of my last name and the fact that I am the youngest in my family. You must work for the Catholic Church to come up with that notion? Ex-priest maybe?:D

Are you sick ?

<SNIP>. It is a fusion of my last name and the fact that I am the youngest in my family.

<SNIP>

Apologies mod - but I believe he's trolling. <SNIP>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Agent_99 wrote: »

That's pretty much the worst way possible tbh.

OP, if you were happy that the salesman was legit and the savings were good then what exactly was the problem with giving DD details?

Forest Master Please stop dragging this thread off-topic. If you have an issue with a post, the use the Report Post functionality.

Bob Cratchet Same goes for you.

dudara

• Advertisement

Forest Master Please stop dragging this thread off-topic. If you have an issue with a post, the use the Report Post functionality.

Bob Cratchet Same goes for you.

dudara

I have reported it, nothing was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Apologies.
    RangeR wrote: »
    You've obviously never been on the bad end of trying to cancel a direct debit or been put onto a Direct Debit PLUS scheme when you thought it was a normal Direct Debit one.
    dd works for some, not for others,
    for me dd on a bill the fluctuates to the extent leccy or gas bills do i wouldnt dream of, but green star and sky are on dd. cuz i know how much, and when its going to be taken.
    But I would never hand someone my details at the door, you have no clue what happens to those details in transit, if you remember the bord gais laptops that were stolen.

<SNIP>
    he has no need to justify his username to you, its YOUR peverted mind that came to that conclusion.

booboo88 wrote: »
    he has no need to justify his username to you, its YOUR peverted mind that came to that conclusion.

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Do people really find these types of posts acceptable and relevant to this thread ? I've already reported them some time ago.

And yet despite my earlier warning, this stupid argument continues.

I saw the reported posts, I investigated the OP and I saw no reason to suspect that they were trolling. I then posted here asking people to cease and desist. But could you do that? No. Actually listening to the moderator was beyond your ability.

Infractions awared to Forest Master and Bob Cratchet.

If you have a genuine issue with the OP's username, then take it to the Helpdesk or Feedback forums.

And yet despite my earlier warning, this stupid argument continues.

I saw the reported posts, I investigated the OP and I saw no reason to suspect that they were trolling. I then posted here asking people to cease and desist. But could you do that? No. Actually listening to the moderator was beyond your ability.

Infractions awared to Forest Master and Bob Cratchet.

If you have a genuine issue with the OP's username, then take it to the Helpdesk or Feedback forums.

I don't have an issue with anyone's user name, I do have an issue with the irrelevant muck that was written on a thread about consumer issues. Why are you twisting it ? All you had to do was remove the irrelevant and offensive talk of Bukkake, child abuse etc. when it was reported. Let's leave it at that.

Let me clarify - Forest Master received an infraction for going off-topic. You re received a warning for back seat modding.

Any further comments or discussion, please take it to the Feedback forum.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

back to topic, is this an new supplier?

Let me clarify - Forest Master received an infraction for going off-topic. You re received a warning for back seat modding.

Any further comments or discussion, please take it to the Feedback forum.

dudara

I don't mind the infraction. Hopefully you'll learn something from it, and boards.ie will be a better place. Interesting that Cummyface received no infraction for his language, or for going off topic.

• Advertisement

Infraction awarded to Bob Cratchet for continuing to go off-topic.

dudara

Advertisement