Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you see the danger ?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Here's a quiz for all you saviours of our wild birds this winter. This is a picture of our bird feeding station, all loaded up and ready to go.
    There is an element of real danger shown on this photograph. Can anyone spot it ?

P2271718.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe if you provided a magnifying glass, yes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Whatever it is, its camoflage is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Sorry folks - image should now be larger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Something to do with giving cats an easy approach along the fence? I'll look harder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is it that the gate will smash into it when it's opened?
    Some of the feeders are way too low too, and the whole thing is too close to the fence and rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

only visible danger I see is the possibility of that gate swingin open and smashing your whole setup to bitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Swinging gate or exposed location so mr sparrowhawk can ambush over fence.

yea mr sparrowhawk doin a tora tora tora coming from the from the sun side
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

do you have a visitor up on the trees in the background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

tricky D wrote: »
    Swinging gate or exposed location so mr sparrowhawk can ambush over fence.

100% - a poor location I'm afraid as it far too exposed with no trees for small birds to take cover in. A Sparrow Hawk feeding station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The birds on the feeders are going to sh1t into the water bowl, possibly contaminating the water in it. Water bowl should be moved to above or level with the feeders to minimise the risk.

Lots of response - thanks a lot. No, the gate misses the feeder. The fence and gate are internal, and there are plenty of trees just out of shot where all the birds come and go to the feeder. The sparrow hawk seldom comes because they like to zip in low and the fence seems to stop this. The top of the fence is narrow and the cat can't walk on it. Good points about the height and the water, but we do change this every day.

The birds we have had the problem with are the rook and the magpie - two incidents this winter.

Keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When you say you've had a problem with rooks and the magpies, do you mean that rooks and magpies have been in danger becasue of something in the photo - or is there something in the photo that has allowed rooks and magpies to put other birds in danger

Good thread anyway :)

BTW Is there Creosote preservative on that fence? It's pretty nasty stuff, not sure if it harms birds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Bottom right corner....

Cat in Ghillie suit.

is it the guy with the shotgun (just out of shot, pardon the pun)
    Don't drag it out too long m8 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

OK I give up - it's either the dangerous pink balloon (?) in the distant hedge or you're just out of picture with a pump action shotgun. :D

Great minds think alike Mr.Digger I hadn't seen your post until after I posted my own!

Is it because you shouldn't put peanuts out in spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

predator.jpg
    Invisible Predator?

OK I give up - it's either the dangerous pink balloon (?) in the distant hedge

You forget that we're in the sub-tropical south-west. This is simply a Flamingo, incoming. :D

The fence is treated with Ronseal, non-toxic. At least that's what it says on the tin.

You are no nearer guessing this than we were, so here's the answer.
    When the top of the lolly-stick fence was covered in ice, a rook slipped off the top and fell down with its head on the inside of the fence and its body and wings on the outside. It fell down to the level of the top rail, about a foot, and couldn't get the elevation to lift itself out of the gap. Fortunately my wife saw its head going up and down, and was able to lift it to freedom. A few days later, a magpie repeated the performance, in the opposite direction, and in spite of its criminal record, she released it too, extracting a promise to leave all our nests alone this year before she did so.

So now there is a strand of wire two inches below the top, to prevent this happening again.

Thanks for your interest !

Well, that was interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that. Glad you keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

The making's of a new trap.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fat balls in the feeder; very high cholesterol.

recedite wrote: »
    Fat balls in the feeder; very high cholesterol.

Stone the crows ! Hadn't given it a thought.

Tomorrow, we're off to Tesco.

Flora.jpg

Is that true? Forgive me for being silly, but I never asked and it never came up before.

I have no idea of the effect cholesterol might have on the birds' cardio system. Common sense seems to tell me (:rolleyes:) that the benefits must outweigh the risks where fat is concerned, and certainly our birds have gone frantically at any food with fat content this winter, fat balls, suet and nuts.

This and the following are also topics for the expert, of which I'm certainly not one; but my wife has started grinding the nuts for the feeders, as we understand the risk there is choking the young birds if the parent takes home the large pieces.

Don't think you're being silly - it's good to ask, and there are plenty of people here ready to share their knowledge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the biggest danger in the photo is that enormous ball of glowing gas; a fusion reaction you have absolutely no control over.

Advertisement