Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats Happening to Lickeen Lake?

• 02-08-2014 2:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭

Im living near Lickeen Lake between Ennistymon and Kilfenora. The swans and ducks have disappeared in the last 3 years. Is it hunting or natural. Should I buy some ducks to bring it back to normal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hunting should have no effect on swan populations, as you're not allowed to hunt them.

If you're interested in helping to manage duck populations, then feeding, providing nesting boxes, and vermin control are what's required. The NARCG might be able to advise, or perhaps The Game Conservancy or the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

The 1st thing to ask is what's the state of the water there? Is there any life in it apart from algal blooms (fishes, frogs, dragonfly larva etc, as these are good indicators of a healthy aquatic environment)?

Has it been contaminated by the dreaded slurry, herbicides & artificial fertiliser like most places?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Thanks for the responses folks. I haven't noticed anything unusual re the water quality. The fish seem to be ok, and no algal blooms that I have seen. Seems to be a few raptors around, have seen sparrow hawks lately and had never seen them in the area before. Will follow up re the links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Invasive Mink have wiped out wildfowl populations on many water bodies in this country, both large and small. They are very hard to spot as they are small, skulk about and are most active at night. If you can get your hands on some mink traps all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

The Poles like swan. I remember them being caught in Ennis poaching them. Maybe dig a few man traps and check in the morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

blowin3 wrote: »
    The Poles like swan. I remember them being caught in Ennis poaching them. Maybe dig a few man traps and check in the morning :)

cant see the humour in that tbh. lucky you didn,t blame blow ins or travelers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

thomur wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses folks. I haven't noticed anything unusual re the water quality. The fish seem to be ok, and no algal blooms that I have seen. Seems to be a few raptors around, have seen sparrow hawks lately and had never seen them in the area before. Will follow up re the links

Sparrowhawks will have no impact whatsoever on the swans and ducks.

A male sparrowhawk will generally go after a bird no bigger than a blaclbird (on occasion he may go up as far as collared dove size), but his usual prey will be birds in and around the size of housesparrows, great tits, robins etc.

A female sparrowhawk is much larger than the male, but she usually tops out at feral pigeon size in terms of max prey size.

Mink or humans are the most likely cause.

Mink will decimate an area very quickly, and say goodbye to any birds in an area if mink can get to them. Mink will also decimate fish populations, small mammal populations, and domestic poultry etc.

Humans are also a good bet as a number of the lakes in Clare have had bird and/or fish populations nearly wiped out by people. There have been a few of the smaller tench lakes that are now pretty much tench free, and other fish species have gotten the same treatment. Ducks and swans have also suffered at the hands of people. Sometimes for eating purposes, sometimes just outright cruelty but the end result is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Thank you Kess73. I saw them on the river Fergus (maybe 9 years ago) in a small boat trying to catch duck and Swan. Best of luck with a swan I would not fancy my chances with a angry Swan. I can't remember if any one was charged .

Advertisement