Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird Names??

Options
  • 01-03-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Saw these birds the weekend and would like help with there names. (2 spotted at bull island, the other my garden. (my guess is skylark and reed bunting for the 2 at bull island but not 100% sure.

cheers

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0239.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Skylark alright but the Reed Bunting is bit odd looking - is there such a thing as winter plumage or maybe it's an immature one? The third is a male Blackcap.

Just checked my ancient Collins Guide and it looks like a male Reed Bunting in winter plumage/transition from.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

The reed bunting was down with his friend if thats any help. looks like the female version.

also could you name the bird on the barrel ??

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I hate little brown birds sorry - nearly as bad as hawks in my book - Srameen will be along to help you I suspect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

knealecat wrote: »
    The reed bunting was down with his friend if thats any help. looks like the female version.

also could you name the bird on the barrel ??

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

thanks for all your help

The bird on the barrel is a bit hard to make out, but a sedge warbler came to mind when I first saw the pic. Bit unusual if it was one at this time of year though.

I am basing my guess on the shape of it's head, beak and tail,plus that it looks only little bigger than a great tit based on how it looks sizewise compared to what is around it

sedge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Barrel bird looks like a Rock Pipit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well called Judgement Day.;) The first bird does seem to be a Reed Bunting in transition.

The bird on the pipe is too blurred for any definate ID.

I will check my camera tonight and see if i have a better photo of the bird on the plastic pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

The bird on the barrel is a meadow pipit. The rock pipit would not look as bright as the bird in the photo and it also lacks the white eye ring that a rock pipit has.

You're probably right. But, God bless your eyesight! :)

It's all the carrots I eat!

• Advertisement

DSC_0335.JPG

found a better photo

DSC_0281.JPG

can anyone help me to id this bird also.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Looks like a Reed Bunting

DSC_0281.JPG

can anyone help me to id this bird also.

thanks

This is the same bird as DCS 0281 which you submitted above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

DSC_0335.JPG

found a better photo

Have to ask. Is that a warbler? It looks kinda willow warbler like. Any actual confirmation here? :)

No it's a meadow pipit....

Advertisement