Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leg tag on plain little sparrow/finch

Options
  • 26-02-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

Just saw a little finch type thing or maybe a a type of sparrow. No white cheeks like a sparrow but the same kind of brown and black colouring. PLain little fella in other words. Anyway, he had an orangey/red fluorescant leg ring on his left leg.

Anyone know what this was for. Is it the kind of thing that some bird organisation would like reported, "saw x bird in x location at x time" etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Was it a little guy like this (left of picture)? Might be a Redpoll !!

img5756copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yep!! :D Didn't think of Redpoll myself because it didn't have the red patch on its head. I take it then that the juveniles or females don't have the red patch? For all I know I have had Redpolls before then and just assumed they were little finches or something because they were all female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Is that defo a redpoll with the ring, To me it looks like a linnet (though all birds look like linnets to me:D), I thought redpolls had yellow bills and black bibs although that part is obscured in the pic. I'm only new to bird watching so very green when it comes to bird id thanks, Gerard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

1squidge wrote: »
    Is that defo a redpoll with the ring, To me it looks like a linnet (though all birds look like linnets to me:D), I thought redpolls had yellow bills and black bibs although that part is obscured in the pic. I'm only new to bird watching so very green when it comes to bird id thanks, Gerard.

The bird on the left is a redpoll, most likely a female Lesser Redpoll. The bird on the right is a siskin.

The most common bird to be confused with a redpoll is a twite, which itself is more common on the West to Sout West of Ireland than in other places around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Linnets could be confused as redpoll at times too, especially with the red patch on top of their heads.

The female linnet is a lot browner than most redpoll though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement