Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay and Display parking at Blanchardstown church

Options
  • 02-12-2014 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Was driving up by the church last night and noticed a parking meter and Apcoa signs beside newly painted spaces outside the church and community centre. What's the story with these? If this is a precursor to paid parking on the main street the village is in trouble, why shop there when parking is free at the centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

athtrasna wrote: »
    Was driving up by the church last night and noticed a parking meter and Apcoa signs beside newly painted spaces outside the church and community centre. What's the story with these? If this is a precursor to paid parking on the main street the village is in trouble, why shop there when parking is free at the centre

This is only specific to that area as residents in St Patrick's park and St Brigid's park are barricaded in to their streets most days. I'm certain it is not extending to the main village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'm certain it is not extending to the main village.

I hope not, its that kind of thinking by CoCo's thats killed of the commercial centre of Dún Laoghaire

oblivious wrote: »
    I hope not, its that kind of thinking by CoCo's thats killed of the commercial centre of Dún Laoghaire

I agree.

Blanchardstown village is being re-vitalised as we speak.

The old A.I.B now has Five different operators in it.
    The Greyhound is opening with a long over due makeover.
    The Supervalue is as busy as ever and the maximillions, local bike shop and cafe etc, as well as the bank of Ireland, the foreign shop, Sam's barbers etc are all doing well.

The last thing we need is meddling that would affect the main street.

I'm sticking my neck out here, but Blanchardstown village is the main village in the whole of the D15 area in my opinion. The Greyhound section of the village as I would refer to it as, suffered when the Greyhuond was badly managed and the likes of Macaris suffered as a result of that and that section of the village was almost derelict at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Its a private arrangement with the Church and Apoca. Basically the church grounds were full of commuters parking their cars and getting buses into town and also Taxi Drivers used it as a place to park while waiting for jobs.

People attending church services will not be charged.

I don't know if anyone attended a funeral there in the last year but it was next to impossible to get a car parking spot.

This might rectify the situation.

FM

Fuseman wrote: »
    Its a private arrangement with the Church and Apoca. Basically the church grounds were full of commuters parking their cars and getting buses into town and also Taxi Drivers used it as a place to park while waiting for jobs.

People attending church services will not be charged.

I don't know if anyone attended a funeral there in the last year but it was next to impossible to get a car parking spot.

This might rectify the situation.

FM

The residents of Patrick's park and Brigid's park are up in arms about the level of parking in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

oblivious wrote: »

Dundrum killed Dun Laoghaire, along with high rents and intransigent business people and local NIMBYs

Those same business people lobbied for parking controls to enable turnover and then targetted it for blame when they failed to address issues under their own rooves.

If Blanch village is dynamic enough, parking control wont damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Dundrum killed Dun Laoghaire, along with high rents and intransigent business people and local NIMBYs

Its was the CoCo the gave planning to Dundrum, with out the foresight to see its knock on effect, they though it would only compete with the city centre.
    Those same business people lobbied for parking controls to enable turnover and then targetted it for blame when they failed to address issues under their own rooves.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/downbeat-air-now-pervades-once-thriving-dublin-community-of-dun-laoghaire-29798883.html

"Ann Joyce informed me that local business owners have lobbied the Council to introduce a car-park nearby, going so far as to present them with viable options including the former Iceland premises. The Council has taken such pleas 'under advisement', while opting to spend millions on a new flagship library, near the seafront, where locals will have the privilege of paying €3 an hour while they borrow a book.

Perhaps the Council isn't concerned with parking costs, considering that its members park for free (apart from BIK) in several locations throughout Dun Laoghaire. Beside the Town Hall, for example, they have over 100 spaces and the same is true for Harbour Square. If you're wondering who's paying for this, guess what – it's you."

If Blanch village is dynamic enough, parking control wont damage it.

Cant really see a CoCo been that dynamic, ask anyone who pays rate and what they get for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pondasher

I see that St Bridget's Church Blanchardstown are now charging people by the hour to park in the church car park when they use the church or community centre. It appears they have employed a private company of champers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The 24 hour bit annoys me. I was going to a Dublin 15 Community Council meeting in the community centre a few weeks ago. I refuse to pay when I am already volunteering my time to go to the meeting.

Surely 6am - 8pm is a reasonable operational time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pondasher

daymobrew wrote: »
    The 24 hour bit annoys me. I was going to a Dublin 15 Community Council meeting in the community centre a few weeks ago. I refuse to pay when I am already volunteering my time to go to the meeting.

Surely 6am - 8pm is a reasonable operational time.
    I agree I think the community centre will lose patronage as there are plenty of other community facilities with the same room rental rates and free parking

• Advertisement
Advertisement