Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Civic 1.8 i-VTEC or 2.2 i-CDTI

• 24-06-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a 2008 Honda Civic. My OH wants to get the diesel but I am wondering if there is much fuel economy difference between the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel.
    Also, in the long-term, would it be more expensive to keep a diesel (price of parts etc.).
    I have looked online for reviews but would like to see what people on this thread thought.

If you were to buy one of these models, which one would you choose?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have a 1.8 petrol. Averaging 43mpg.
    The only reason I'd get a diesel one (and I've considered it) is the huge dollop of torque you get in the mid range. The power delivery in the petrol is very linear and you can make it move when it needs to. You do need to use the revs a bit more than on the diesel.
    I've had zero issues with mine in 3 years and 60,000 or so km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your driving style as well as your annual mileage have to be taken into consideration when figuring out if you warranty a diesel. City driving or short start/stop journeys are not suitable for modern diesels.

The diesel isn't especially economical for a diesel. One thing to consider though is that the 1.8 got rare in 08 and they're pretty expensive to buy 08-10 models due to de chape tax. You can often pick up 07s for a lot less. There is the tax thing to consider of course, but no point in paying thousands more for an 08 over an 07 to save €2-300 on tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Thanks for the feedback.
    We will have this car for the next at least five years minimum (all going well) so we want the lower tax on the car.

It is interesting that you say that isn't especially economical - I would drive long enough journeys quite regularly, so this would be important to me. I would only get the diesel if i thought that it would be worth it from that point of view. diesel parts are generally more expensive, so it would have to be worth it for me to get one. :)

What's your expected annual mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Between 10-15k a year.

I'd get the petrol in that case based on your concerns of maintainance and repair costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The diesel isn't especially economical for a diesel. One thing to consider though is that the 1.8 got rare in 08 and they're pretty expensive to buy 08-10 models due to de chape tax. You can often pick up 07s for a lot less. There is the tax thing to consider of course, but no point in paying thousands more for an 08 over an 07 to save €2-300 on tax.

There is €66 difference in tax between the 07 and 08 onwards models.

€570 for 08 >
    €636 for <07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

There is €66 difference in tax between the 07 and 08 onwards models.

€570 for 08 >
    €636 for <07

They went to €390 from 2010 onwards.

Not on all specs though. Some had slightly higher emissions (some 3 door models and all saloons)
    Some 08 petrols like the ES 5 door were €390 tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 3dr Type S was around €570 to tax.

Yep, think the bigger wheels are to blame.

Advertisement