Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation advice please..

Options
  • 27-11-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice here..first the background...and apologies in advance for long winded post:rolleyes:
    Built a timber frame closed panel system dormer house in 2012 using a timber frame company who acted as main contractor. Initially stated after design that the house would achieve BER of A3. Makeup of house is 150mm insulation in slab (We did this not timber Co), 220mm Metac in closed panel walls, triple glazed low E glass windows throughout (fitted into closed panel frames in factory for airtight fit),400mm metac in roof space, airtight membrane, PRO Air 600 MVHR, Kingspan solar panel, Condensing gas boiler heating aluminium rads throughout, we also use the gas for cooking (hob). I noticed after the build that the house seemed a degree or more cooler upstairs than downstairs, I had engaged an engineer to certify works at different stages and he had been happy with build until roof stage, a couple of subbies had installed the final airtightness membrane and attic insulation in the joists (cold roof) and in his view hadnt done a good enough job. When they came back to site to fix they managed to damage some Solar collector pipes and I asked them to leave site as they were sloppy to say the least (engineer agreed). I refitted insulation as best I could (it was left on site) and they had done an airtighness test which showed 2.9 ach at 50pa ( i have a copy and I will also say they didnt guarantee a particular ach target ) I got into a back and forth discussion re costs and I eventually recouped 6K and until now havent had a chance to address this with work/family commitments etc.
    Now my question is Im still not entirely happy with the insulation upstairs and airtighness , with this money should I maybe get the between the joists sprayfoamed which would (maybe!) help with airtightness and keep in the heat? I know dormers are a b**tard to insulate afterwards and it is a very awkward space up there (velux tunnels for velux in upstairs landing etc)
    I have to say I wasnt as knowledgable on the airtighness as I am now and if I was I would have insisted on hitting below 1 ach but with working for myself in the middle of a recession I didnt have time..
    Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance - have gotten great knowledge from this forum previously

Rgds

Advertisement