Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulation (attic and cavity wall).....advice needed!

• 16-11-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

New to this area so go easy on me and my likely very dumb questions!

Live in a standard 3 bed end of terrace (terrace of 3 if that makes any difference?) house build in 2006 which had the attic converted in 2012.

Have done some basic research and want to get the attic and cavity walls insulated using the spray foam system (icyene). Any advice? Watchouts? pros/cons etc.?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Hi all,

Live in a standard 3 bed end of terrace (terrace of 3 if that makes any difference?) house build in 2006 which had the attic converted in 2012.

Have done some basic research and want to get the attic and cavity walls insulated using the spray foam system (icyene). Any advice? Watchouts? pros/cons etc.?

I remember reading here on Boards some place of a potential issue where the foam inside the cavity contracts over time and due to its strength can move the external wall leaving several structural cracks. It was fairly recent in this construction forum area so should be possible to find the thread. Why not use the bead stuff in the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Great job, well worth the cost.
    The foam really does fill out the entire cavity. We even had some come into the attic ( no issues can be taken away when dry)

It will take a month to really feel the benefit cos needs to dry out completely.

Only Con I could say is drilling the walls but ours were patched up pretty well and look fine now.

We had a good experience with -no adds-

Dudda wrote: »
    I remember reading here on Boards some place of a potential issue where the foam inside the cavity contracts over time and due to its strength can move the external wall leaving several structural cracks. It was fairly recent in this construction forum area so should be possible to find the thread. Why not use the bead stuff in the walls?

That's sounds completely implausible. Contracting foam couldn't move anything and certainly not a wall.
    When it is going into the cavity is when all the pressure is applied.

Heard the beads is not of the same insulation value and can get clogged in places and may not fill whole cavity so went with the foam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

yupya1 wrote: »
    That's sounds completely implausible. Contracting foam couldn't move anything and certainly not a wall.
    When it is going into the cavity is when all the pressure is applied.

Heard the beads is not of the same insulation value and can get clogged in places and may not fill whole cavity so went with the foam

I'm just passing on what I read. I think it's plausible but I'm not sure it happened. It's just such a huge problem if it were to happen it's worth mentioning. It might be in extreme cases linked to poor blockwork or something.
    For the roof foam I'd say is no problem as the timber has movement in it unlike blockwork.

This is the thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95388087

Dudda wrote: »
    I'm just passing on what I read. I think it's plausible but I'm not sure it happened. It's just such a huge problem if it were to happen it's worth mentioning. It might be in extreme cases linked to poor blockwork or something.
    For the roof foam I'd say is no problem as the timber has movement in it unlike blockwork.

This is the thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95388087

Yea sorry didn't mean to seem like I was attacking you but after reading the thread I'm more convinced it's not possible, the posters seem unreliable but the main point is this cavity foam doesn't grip anything.
    It is completely different to the roof/spray foam.

Some came out in our attic and it's like hardened shaving foam no grip whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

Is the felt breathable?
    How will the attic timbers be vented?
    How difficult will it be to achieve vapour barrier continuity on the warm side of the foam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

2012 is very recent, was your attic not well insulated as part of the conversion?

Re foam cavity fill there are two types. Most companies offer icynene, which is an open-cell foam.

A few companies offer BASF Walltite or Technitherm, which are closed-cell foams, there may be others. A bit of Googling will get you a lot of info to help you decide the advantages and disadvantages of open vs closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

JonathonS wrote: »
    2012 is very recent, was your attic not well insulated as part of the conversion?

Re foam cavity fill there are two types. Most companies offer icynene, which is an open-cell foam.

A few companies offer BASF Walltite or Technitherm, which are closed-cell foams, there may be others. A bit of Googling will get you a lot of info to help you decide the advantages and disadvantages of open vs closed.

It was insulated yes, just want to explore other options. Thanks for your suggestions though!

Advertisement