Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

fermmark wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone who has installed one but from small bit of research it could be in the approx €3000/€4000 range for an underground tank.
    It is a big enough initial expense and as you say pumps etc need to be maintained but it's the bigger picture down the line where water charges may/may not increase and potentially kids etc where usage would be high!!!
    It would be great to hear anyone's experiences.
    Sorry mod I know it's slightly off topic from the thread.

you'll probably find a lot here with self builds have our own well. Water charges do not apply.

Without saving on water charges to justify the initial capital cost, it's hard to justify a rainwater tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Let there be light.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

893bet wrote: »
    Slow work!!

how do you intend finishing over the reveals

mortar doesn't really take to the air tape

I'm all ears ! :)

how do you intend finishing over the reveals

mortar doesn't really take to the air tape

I'm all ears ! :)

Plasterer applied bonding, 12mm slab and skimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Let there be light.

Looks like a very similar kitchen layout to my own - hob in the island. I found it very hard to find a decent extractor at a reasonable price. Have you looked into this yet?
    For everything else it is a great layout, everything is close at hand and it's great not to have your back to everyone when you're cooking.

• Advertisement

db wrote: »
    Looks like a very similar kitchen layout to my own - hob in the island. I found it very hard to find a decent extractor at a reasonable price. Have you looked into this yet?
    For everything else it is a great layout, everything is close at hand and it's great not to have your back to everyone when you're cooking.

Still looking! I was considering the below. It was only 110gbp so worth a punt regardless. LED light and digital display! Went out of stock sadly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VidaXL-50167-cooker-hood-Island/dp/B00DTPZ670

Considering the below at the moment.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Island-Cooker-H95-9S/dp/B009P3MM22

Get it delivered via parcel motel. Final cost of around 380 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Hi all, been following this thread for a while now, its a great source of info for a beginner like me. This is my first time posting here but I'm sure over the next few weeks/months/years (hopefully not too many years) I'll become a regular. We're only just through the dreaded Wicklow planning system and are toying with the internal design a bit.

This is a pretty basic question but I'm just looking for some clarity. Can you have a utility room that doesn't have any external walls? Almost like a pod within the house. My concerns here are drainage and what happens if something goes wrong a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mel o

Skittles, I have an internal utility room in my house and what I don't like is that when drying clothes on the hanging aired in the summer, they can get smelly from the lack of airflow. It's fine once the rad is on. We're building a house at the moment and that was one of my requirements-a utility room big enough to have a hanging aired and with a window that opens.

skittles11 wrote: »
    Hi all, been following this thread for a while now, its a great source of info for a beginner like me. This is my first time posting here but I'm sure over the next few weeks/months/years (hopefully not too many years) I'll become a regular. We're only just through the dreaded Wicklow planning system and are toying with the internal design a bit.

This is a pretty basic question but I'm just looking for some clarity. Can you have a utility room that doesn't have any external walls? Almost like a pod within the house. My concerns here are drainage and what happens if something goes wrong a few years down the line.

you're only supposed to discuss live self-builds on this thread according to the sticky but loads of people seem to be breaking that anyway!

If you are going to have a HRV it should be ok as there will be an extraction point in the utility (if it has a sink). But many turn their HRV off in the summer so it would be handy to have a window then. I plan on using my utility for clothes horses to keep them out of the rest of the house so I've made the utility really big and it has a HRV extraction point and a window (and a door)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

skittles11 wrote: »

I'd put a mechanical extract fan in there at the minimum and a wired smoke detector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Hi All,

Just organising to start the roofing process next week, and currently on the hunt for slates.
    Probably going with tegral as they are close by, and we want natural slates.

Regarding insulation, we are going with a fully pumped 150mm cavity, and I am wondering is is beneficial to add on some dry-lining also?

For heating, I am waiting on a meeting with a company that offer solar panels that can heat water and also heat the house, backed up with an oil burner.
    We will also have a solid fuel stove in main living area.
    If we don't go with them, I am not quite sure what to do. I like the sound of Geothermal-but I don't want underfloor heating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just organising to start the roofing process next week, and currently on the hunt for slates.
    Probably going with tegral as they are close by, and we want natural slates.

Regarding insulation, we are going with a fully pumped 150mm cavity, and I am wondering is is beneficial to add on some dry-lining also?

For heating, I am waiting on a meeting with a company that offer solar panels that can heat water and also heat the house, backed up with an oil burner.
    We will also have a solid fuel stove in main living area.
    If we don't go with them, I am not quite sure what to do. I like the sound of Geothermal-but I don't want underfloor heating!!

How have you not all of this stuff sorted out before now, did you get any provisional BER done? How are you ensuring your compliance with part L?

The build was started about 5 years ago by the father in law, and we have just resumed in the last few months. As such, we are under the old regulations. So no, haven't had a BER assesor yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The build was started about 5 years ago by the father in law, and we have just resumed in the last few months. As such, we are under the old regulations. So no, haven't had a BER assesor yet.

about 5 years? has you planning lapsed? Any house currently under construction and prior to occupation needs a BER cert, get this done before you waste your breath on thermodynamic heat pumps/ oil.

in the grand scheme of things getting a provisional BER done is actually really cheap, so if you get one done they will take into account all your insulation (including U values of your doors and windows - or they'll assume these) and your heating system. Mine gave me 4 different options with different heating systems etc. It's worth getting done.
    Although some on here don't agree with it, I'm getting both a pumped 150mm cavity and dry lining on the inside of all external walls. Your walls are already built now so you can't increase the cavity size so dry lining is probably the only way you can increase insulation levels on the walls?

iYour walls are already built now so you can't increase the cavity size so dry lining is probably the only way you can increase insulation levels on the walls?

Yeah, already built, thanks for the opinion. After being on here, I'm sourcing a BER assesor as we speak!

Busy week!

Heating turned on. Septic tank and percolation installed, rainwater good installed, bathrooms leveled and tanked. Measured up for kitchen and stairs and awaiting price.

All tiles on site waiting for tiler in 10 days.

Front door due in next two weeks.

Carpenter also committed to starting second fix before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Not sure if this is suitable for a "new build" section, but i've been running a blog for 2 years detailing my 1820s Georgian house renovation in Dundalk.

http://georgianrenovation.blogspot.ie/

Have a small piece in the Sunday Times weekly detailing the same work retrospectively, but the main detail is in the blog.

:)

Place is wrecked!

Tanking! Shelf cut into stud awaiting jacoboard and tanking.

• Advertisement

Unit made from 4x2 and covered in jacoboard ready for full tile.

I can't seem to add more than a single pic to a post from my phone.

The below dimmable led bulbs are brilliant! 15 euro each though!

Toasty!

Unit made from 4x2 and covered in jacoboard ready for full tile.

Could you tell me where you sourced the jacoboard and is there a trading name for it?

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Could you tell me where you sourced the jacoboard and is there a trading name for it?

Sorry it's correct name is jackoboard.

It was supplier to me through the tile supplier. I assume they all have it. I put it down on the bathroom floors also.

Sorry it's correct name is jackoboard.

It was supplier to me through the tile supplier. I assume they all have it. I put it down on the bathroom floors also.

Thanks

I'm in the process of ordering a front door. Was going to go with timber so we can change the colour (which we might do fairly immediately - want a coloured front door but can't agree on colour until we see the overall look of the front of the house) I was under the impression to paint a door it had to be timber, but a joinery has just told me you can paint a composite door?
    How easy would this be to do and would it have as good a finish as a painted timber door? Obviously I'd prefer composite if possible for the better U value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I was under the impression to paint a door it had to be timber, but a joinery has just told me you can paint a composite door?
    How easy would this be to do and would it have as good a finish as a painted timber door?

Thinking back to when I was looking at composite doors I don't think it's possible to paint.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Thinking back to when I was looking at composite doors I don't think it's possible to paint.

Easy paint them. My brother in law does them for a living and they are all delivered primed White I think. He then paints by hand what ever color people want. He often calls up to a door he did 5 years ago that is gone tired looking and a single coat makes it like new.

Not sure about ease changing colour entirely though.

Waiting on my own door!!

• Advertisement

Easy paint them. My brother in law does them for a living and they are all delivered primed White I think. He then paints by hand what ever color people want. He often calls up to a door he did 5 years ago that is gone tired looking and a single coat makes it like new.

Not sure about ease changing colour entirely though.

Waiting on my own door!!

What kind of door did you get?

Advertisement