Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sliding/Lift Patio Door

• 17-08-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a sliding door installed into an existing wall of the house. Have been looking at these suppliers to date:

Munster joinery
    NorDan
    Rationel
    EcoGlaze
    True Windows

Now I've read here about comparing like with like, but as a lay person how best can I do that without being bamboozled with technical jargon? The quotes so far range between €1800 of a difference. I don't just want to dismiss on price and what to consider the products, installation & customer services/aftersales.

If anybody can provide useful experience for any of the above, a PM would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

PM incoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

follow up:

Well left this on the long finger with xmas coming...

The reason for the opening is due to poor light as the room is north facing. Reason for large sliding door was to allow as much light in as possible.

Now to be honest, we dont really need another entry/exist and the wall is on the easterly side. So are reconsidering a window. The room is a kitchen/dining room dimensions of 9mx4m aprox. The opening is on the short wall.

Now I know everybody has different opinions, but If we return to considering just a window I rather like the idea of a window of dimensions 3.3mx1.1m aprox, ie like 3 squares butted together, perhaps with the middle section opening as a tilt.

What would others think? would such a window look rubbish on that wall/room?

Just looking for advise from those who have a "feel" for these things..

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    W

PS: something like the attached though without the man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

follow up:

Well left this on the long finger with xmas coming...

The reason for the opening is due to poor light as the room is north facing. Reason for large sliding door was to allow as much light in as possible.

Now to be honest, we dont really need another entry/exist and the wall is on the easterly side. So are reconsidering a window. The room is a kitchen/dining room dimensions of 9mx4m aprox. The opening is on the short wall.

Now I know everybody has different opinions, but If we return to considering just a window I rather like the idea of a window of dimensions 3.3mx1.1m aprox, ie like 3 squares butted together, perhaps with the middle section opening as a tilt.

What would others think? would such a window look rubbish on that wall/room?

Just looking for advise from those who have a "feel" for these things..

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    W

PS: something like the attached though without the man!!!

Have you considered glass bricks or a sun-tunnel as economic and effective alternatives?

Hi,

Sun tunnel isnt an option and I'm not sure whether glass bricks is what we are looking for.

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Another non-answer from me, just my 2 cents; bear in mind what structural changes need to be made for the different options. The larger the ope (as in the case of a sliding door or full fixed window the same of width) the stronger the support above the opening needs to be.
    If you split the opening into 3 separate windows you may have the option of placing vertical support (think pillars) between each window and thus potentially shortening the span. Could be the difference between installing steel beams overhead, versus concrete lintels.

Engineer needs to be consulted on this of course.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Still unsure what style of windows opening would suit the room. So if anybody willing to suggest what they feel would be suitable I'd much appreciate the feedback.

Note as I've de-personalised the room image, there is also a radiator in the middle of the wall, probably standard height, and 40% of the wall width.

Thanks
    W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I think you need to match the two openings in your photo which means a door rather than a window.

If you fill the full width of the wall with a door you will have the problem of repositioning the radiator. As its almost half the width of the short wall it looks like it won't fit between one of the doors and the wall with the new door....so it could be an expensive move.

How about a nice aluclad french door with wood inside that matches the door to the right? You could then put a vertical radiator on either side - see example in photo below (door design leaves a lot to be desired, you could do much better)

P1070858%20800x601_zps4lvlzdt8.jpg

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the feedback. If the rad does get moved, we can replace it on another wall (out of shot) by tapping off existing pipe work.

While a large door opening may suit internally, this wall is facing onto nowhere appealing!! At the moment we have some sheds sitting outside. We dont really want to create an entry/exit as this would really mean reinventing that outside space.

so if something that big was created you'd like to have an opening for ventilation, and I would think that wouldnt look right in such a large glass area. So I'm back to thinking would a window best suit are needs? My dilemma is a window design that suits while being big enough to make the exercise worthwhile from a light perspective.

Thanks
    W

Advertisement